E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > El Paso/Fort Bliss

09-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
El Paso/Fort Bliss

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight to this part of texas....how it is, the people etc.

I just received orders to go there so I'll be there for 2 years starting in december sometime.

Thanks ahead of time

David
      09-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
chuckvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

el paso/Ft Bliss

Not sure what you really want but glad to help. Hot weather, dry, desert is nice for me but others are miserable. Its a large city, Jaurez right across border is 2+ million. Never been across tho, some say its fun, others like me say no thanks.

Ft Bliss is nice, its growing, I am retired AF so this is my first exposure to a post. I am happy here, enough to do, and if its not here in EP, Tucson is 4 h drive, Phoenix 6 hours. I think most would like more social life here.

Not a lot going on BMW wise, no local chapter but maybe that will change. Dealer here gets mixed reviews, I like them a lot. Active porsche club here so for driving events thats an option.

Housing, lots here, EP growing. Off post look west but east is really growing. Do not rush into anything til you talk more with your unit/sponsor. If you have kids there are better schools than others. Cost of living kinda low, decent job opportunities for spouse, excellent if in health care, teaching.

Any specfic questions let me know, nice 335i you have.

chuck
330i
87 911
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckvic View Post
Not sure what you really want but glad to help. Hot weather, dry, desert is nice for me but others are miserable. Its a large city, Jaurez right across border is 2+ million. Never been across tho, some say its fun, others like me say no thanks.

Ft Bliss is nice, its growing, I am retired AF so this is my first exposure to a post. I am happy here, enough to do, and if its not here in EP, Tucson is 4 h drive, Phoenix 6 hours. I think most would like more social life here.

Not a lot going on BMW wise, no local chapter but maybe that will change. Dealer here gets mixed reviews, I like them a lot. Active porsche club here so for driving events thats an option.

Housing, lots here, EP growing. Off post look west but east is really growing. Do not rush into anything til you talk more with your unit/sponsor. If you have kids there are better schools than others. Cost of living kinda low, decent job opportunities for spouse, excellent if in health care, teaching.

Any specfic questions let me know, nice 335i you have.

chuck
330i
87 911
Wow, thanks for the help. I'm single, so I dont have to worry about jobs or schools there.

I'm just trying to get my mind right for when I do show up there. I mean in my head I see nothing, but desert, horses, and illegals crossing the border. Then for the first time I look on a map and the city looks like it is in Mexico!

My mom's boyfriend emailed me this morning telling me to find some other place to go besides El Paso....High crime, tons of illegals and super high car insurance....is that true?

Thanks again for the info.

David
      09-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
DPritchett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 528i

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
My info is dated, but I did two tours at Ft Bliss -- 1977 to 1980 and 1981 to 1984. My son was born in the William Beaumont Army Medical Center, I owned two homes while I was there, and I still own some land, so I check up on the area every now and then.

From the Army perspective, Bliss is a major installation and you have the full set of on-post services. Excellent gyms and swimming pool, medical center, exchange, commissary, etc. I think its an excellent place to be stationed. I always said that you can always find a way to cool off, but went I went to the field in Germany in the winter, my feet stayed numb for a week once we got back to garrison.

El Paso is a large city, and with Juarez is a major metropolitan area. Its certainly grown. When we bought our first house on the eastside, over my backyard fence was nothing but desert. Now the city extends about another 5 miles out. There is plenty to do. .. shopping, museums, theaters, Division 1 college sports. If I was young and single, I would consider living near the UTEP campus somewhere. The young soldiers in my battery never seemed to lack a supply of clubs to get into trouble at, so there must be adequate night life.

There are speed limits on the highways, but those desert roads are lightly traveled and you can wind it out when you feel the need.

The Mexican population is quite large, on both sides of the river, which takes some getting used to for some people. I used to joke that the border was actually I-10 and not the river. Insurance is probably higher because of the number of uninsured drivers on the road, and if you are ever burglarized, you property ends up in Mexico quickly. There are a lot of auto insurance claims every spring when the dust storms kick up and people get pitted windshields.

2006 325xi |SG - Terra - Walnut | Steptronic | Premium Package - Nav | Zenon Adaptive Headlights | Blacklines; iPod Adapter
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
chuckvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

el paso/ft bliss

If you are a single Lt Col as your signature suggests, USAA has car insurance, its cheap in my opinion, check it out. Sure there are illegals here, so what as far as I am concerned, I am not intrested in the jobs they do.

Crime, sure there is some but live in nice area and there is no problem, people in my area leave garage doors open, nothing gets ripped off. Car theft is a problem really if you have a nice truck.

tell us a little more about self and I can get more specific info for you.

chuck
Appreciate 0