E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPhone 5 Lightning Dock

05-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 N51

iPhone 5 Lightning Dock

Got sick and tired of having to open the center console to access my phone so I made a dock for it. Now I can view texts, charge my phone, play/change music, and use siri/navigation all at the same time, not to mention find music/contacts and make calls much quicker on the phone than using bmw's head unit controls.

I wanted somewhere to dock my phone where it was easily accessible but still fit in nicely with the rest of my interior. Since nobody makes something like this, I decided to make my own. I basically followed this tutorial of changing to a sunglasses tray and drilling holes for the lights, but made my dock for lightning instead.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585033

The connector is as close to the edge as possible so it doesn't limit my storage in the sunglasses holder and the phone rests against the climate control vents. There is a tiny bit of play so I can take connect and disconnect. Simple mod, but it makes my every day life so much easier.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Darien335is
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Love this! My e92 doesn't have Nav or iDrive, and I like this solution for Nav/Audio better than the horrible mount I bought from Amazon.

How long did this take you to build?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien335is View Post
Love this! My e92 doesn't have Nav or iDrive, and I like this solution for Nav/Audio better than the horrible mount I bought from Amazon.

How long did this take you to build?
This took me around 4 hours, but should take much quicker. I spent most of the time figuring out how to take things apart, looking for tools, and adjusting the dock to fit perfectly with my phone.

Yeah I hate those mounts. They just don't fit with the car, like getting an aftermarket head unit.
Appreciate 0