E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Drone Fixed!

05-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
triggz
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Drone Fixed!

Hey guys! So I'm been dealing with drone for over 2 years in my E92 with multiple exhaust setups. I tried a tennis ball, towel, thick paper and it all decreased the noise but the drone was always there. It didn't bother me too much because I normally play music when I drive. However, ever since I did a muffler delete, cat delete, vibrant resonators and AR catless downpipes, I enjoy driving without music and hearing the aggressive exhaust note from 2000rpm-5000rpm. My drone came from the rear console and I realized that when you put pressure on the sliding tray, the drone disappears. I remember back in the day when my friend had a loud sound system in his car he used dynomat to stop the trunk from shaking and vibrating.

I went down to a local audio shop and picked up some dynomat. You can use any brand because they are typically the same. I cut out a piece that was about 6" by 4". I then used a heat gun to get the black part of the dynomat really sticky. After it was nicely warm, I placed it onto the tray, pushed down on it for about 2 minutes and then slid the tray all the way to the back. Took it for a drive and ZERO drone. I don't know why I didn't think of this before but it worked like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
jyeah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

What do you mean by sliding tray? Can you use a pic to show that?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz View Post
Hey guys! So I'm been dealing with drone for over 2 years in my E92 with multiple exhaust setups. I tried a tennis ball, towel, thick paper and it all decreased the noise but the drone was always there. It didn't bother me too much because I normally play music when I drive. However, ever since I did a muffler delete, cat delete, vibrant resonators and AR catless downpipes, I enjoy driving without music and hearing the aggressive exhaust note from 2000rpm-5000rpm. My drone came from the rear console and I realized that when you put pressure on the sliding tray, the drone disappears. I remember back in the day when my friend had a loud sound system in his car he used dynomat to stop the trunk from shaking and vibrating.

I went down to a local audio shop and picked up some dynomat. You can use any brand because they are typically the same. I cut out a piece that was about 6" by 4". I then used a heat gun to get the black part of the dynomat really sticky. After it was nicely warm, I placed it onto the tray, pushed down on it for about 2 minutes and then slid the tray all the way to the back. Took it for a drive and ZERO drone. I don't know why I didn't think of this before but it worked like a charm.
you could have just removed the sliding cover if you plan on keeping it open all the time
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
guru_method
Eating M3s for breakfast
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW 09 135i M

I think you are mistaking Drone (exhaust bass that gives you headaches and makes you wanna punch your wife in the face) with the Rear Console "Sliding Thingy" vibrating.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
tofu-
Banned
Rep

i have something else vibrating back there. not sure what it is. already have the sliding thing dampened
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
triggz
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_method View Post
I think you are mistaking Drone (exhaust bass that gives you headaches and makes you wanna punch your wife in the face) with the Rear Console "Sliding Thingy" vibrating.
Ok well this is the only noise I noticed ever since I changed my stock exhaust. Seeing how I have a straight pipe and no cats, one would think that a noise would be present. Now all noises that were bothersome are gone. There is a slight hum but it's nowhere near as bad as before. It was loud as hell before at 2000-2300rpm
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
triggz
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
i have something else vibrating back there. not sure what it is. already have the sliding thing dampened
Are you using dynomat? This stuff is intended for high DB sound systems that cause extreme rattles and bass drone. It's perfect inside my cabin now. Can you tell I have an exhaust when you're inside my car? Well yes of course but it's not giving ANYONE a headache, that's for sure. Straight pipe+no cats is the loudest exhaust setup hands down and my wife doesn't mind it at all with the fix. Prior to that she hated being inside my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
triggz
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
you could have just removed the sliding cover if you plan on keeping it open all the time
I tried this and it still droned. It needs something to absorb the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
1nityrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4MC

I don't know how drone sounds like. I still have a stock exhaust, anybody have a clip of how "drone" sounds like?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_method View Post
+1. Can't fix exhaust drone with dynamat.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
+1. Can't fix exhaust drone with dynamat.
right especially with a piece that is 6"x4" maybe 6'x4' and get your entire under cabin filled. but then ur adding like 100 lbs lol.

anyway i think you are talkin about the sliding rear cover rattling and not drone. drone is like bass a very low pitch sound. take a ride with someone with an hpf gen 1 or 2 and have him cruise at 2750 rpms and you will understand what drone is.

when i had my hpf gen 2 and i had to take a long trip i had ear plugs...thats how annoying it was...my ears would literally bleed.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
triggz
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
right especially with a piece that is 6"x4" maybe 6'x4' and get your entire under cabin filled. but then ur adding like 100 lbs lol.

anyway i think you are talkin about the sliding rear cover rattling and not drone. drone is like bass a very low pitch sound. take a ride with someone with an hpf gen 1 or 2 and have him cruise at 2750 rpms and you will understand what drone is.

when i had my hpf gen 2 and i had to take a long trip i had ear plugs...thats how annoying it was...my ears would literally bleed.
Hmm that's weird. I don't understand how it's that bad. I have catless downpipes, no secondary cats and 3" muffler delete and I can cruise on the highway with no problems. Sounds fine and doesn't hurt my ears at all. I always thought drone was the cabin noise from the rear.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
infidel335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

I have the same issue with my straight pipes. I also found the rear arm rest cup holders to be making a vibrating noise and I don't really want to dynomat those. I might play around with some wedges and squeeze them in there.

335xi: JB4 G5 | KW V1s | muffler delete | BMS DCI | VRSF 7" FMIC | VMR v703 18x8 | and your mom
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel335 View Post
I have the same issue with my straight pipes. I also found the rear arm rest cup holders to be making a vibrating noise and I don't really want to dynomat those. I might play around with some wedges and squeeze them in there.
ah so that's another spot common to vibration? it's hard to diagnose this stuff without someone sitting in the back
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nityrider View Post
I don't know how drone sounds like. I still have a stock exhaust, anybody have a clip of how "drone" sounds like?
it's just a humming noise

kind of like when you have ground loop issues with a subwoofer

most of us in this thread are hunting down a vibration buzz, which generally originates from that sliding thing between the rear seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #16
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz View Post
Hmm that's weird. I don't understand how it's that bad. I have catless downpipes, no secondary cats and 3" muffler delete and I can cruise on the highway with no problems. Sounds fine and doesn't hurt my ears at all. I always thought drone was the cabin noise from the rear.
You likely don't have exhaust drone or at least not much. Or are not sensitive to it or don't care/notice. Just because you have an aftermarket exhaust does not mean you will experience drone.

My vrsf dp's and berk street cat back go in on Friday. Am hoping that combination is drone free.
Appreciate 0