E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Ford Australia Announces Oct 2016 Closure For Locally Produced Cars

05-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Ford Australia Announces Oct 2016 Closure For Locally Produced Cars

http://www.news.com.au/business/ford...-1226648895882

So whats your view on this?

It doesn't affect me at all tbh, but as a consumer I think it's sad that we will be losing an aussie icon so to speak, as I grew up in plenty of Ford Australia's products.

In much the same manner it was sad to see SAAB close up for business, whilst I would never aspire to one of their products it just narrows the choice down somewhat for us consumers…

I think the only car from Ford Au portfolio which interests me is a cheap used F6, as a cheap daily/hoon/knockaround with plenty of room for a big bloke like myself.

I must admit I am a harsh critic of their products as most fords my old man has owned have been rubbish, and his 2 year old territory had a plastic interior that pretty much fell apart, and a constant gearbox/diff whine.

This announcement also means no more ford V8’s… This also diminishes the number of V8’s on the roads for us bmw owners for potential kills in future years which makes me sad… haha

So what’s your view on the announced closure?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

In addition, there is a loss in our national identity and pride.. the Falcon is an aussie icon, whether you like it or loathe it.. the fact that we will now see further encroachment from the US product line seems is a shame. I have no issue with foreign ownership (in this sense anyway), but allow individual regions to retain their own identity
      05-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Its not about the car, the people or the country its about making a dollar,
no profit means shut it down the bean counters are in charge here. Car cost $20,000 sell price $21,000 Government subsidy $1,500 = close the gate.

At the wash up there is more like 4000 unemployed this will be the end of the GILLY government, NOT that I care.

I think there are still hard times ahead for us all

I do hope that those poor families will get real help from the Unions / Government but i think they will get some sort of redundancies pay out, FORD being a union deal.

More than I would get if I went broke

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 05-23-2013 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Ben0426
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 325i /RR Sport

GILLY sucks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Unfortunate for all: workers + Australia
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
One wonders if the workers only have themselves to blame? Australia's cost of production is so high because the Unions push for outlandish pay deals and then wonder why businesses close up shop and go offshore.

The good times are over, the mining bubble has burst and there is going to be more and more pain to come I think.

I feel very sorry for the families of the Ford staff - not a great day for Australia.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthBMW View Post
One wonders if the workers only have themselves to blame? Australia's cost of production is so high because the Unions push for outlandish pay deals and then wonder why businesses close up shop and go offshore.

The good times are over, the mining bubble has burst and there is going to be more and more pain to come I think.

I feel very sorry for the families of the Ford staff - not a great day for Australia.
Hmm I think this only plays a very small percentage of the real reason for the closure. Look at the sales of the cars in the past 5 years and you can easily see that volume has been their killer!

Why the low volume? The way I perceive it is the product didn't change as per the current market demand, by offering a cheaper bare bones model, a more fuel efficient model (ecoboost 4 cyl) or a turbo diesel.

Now when you look at those reasons the average joe who works on the floor as an operator earning a theoretical $100k a year on shift work has no input into these sales, albeit yes his position has an input into the costs in running the business.

I think FoMoCo management is to blame for this one, they just simply haven't adapted their products to suit the domestic market requirements, and whilst they did eventually bring out a 4 cyl falcon and a turbo diesel territory it really was a case of too little too late when you have someone one the other side of the world in Michigan holding the purse strings

Generally manufacturing in Australia is a dying industry, as unless you have a unique niche quality product, chances are you can buy a superior product that is imported and its cheaper also.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

terrible news. really feel for the workers and parts suppliers that rely on the Ford contract to keep their doors open.

massive shame what's happening in Australian manufacturing atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
http://www.news.com.au/business/ford...-1226648895882

So whats your view on this?

It doesn't affect me at all tbh, but as a consumer I think it's sad that we will be losing an aussie icon so to speak, as I grew up in plenty of Ford Australia's products.

In much the same manner it was sad to see SAAB close up for business, whilst I would never aspire to one of their products it just narrows the choice down somewhat for us consumers…

I think the only car from Ford Au portfolio which interests me is a cheap used F6, as a cheap daily/hoon/knockaround with plenty of room for a big bloke like myself.

I must admit I am a harsh critic of their products as most fords my old man has owned have been rubbish, and his 2 year old territory had a plastic interior that pretty much fell apart, and a constant gearbox/diff whine.

This announcement also means no more ford V8’s… This also diminishes the number of V8’s on the roads for us bmw owners for potential kills in future years which makes me sad… haha

So what’s your view on the announced closure?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I think its really bad news for Australia. I can't help feeling the economic environment could have been managed better. I believe we should maintain a diversity of industry such as motor industry and agriculture even if it is subsidised by tariffs or other means. So many other countries do that and to me it makes sense. I hope the politicians get it together so we can keep Toyota and Holden manufacturing in Australia.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

Sad day, Falcons and Territory's are great cars just not enough people experienced them in private vehicle condition
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #11
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

So now Holden are asking their blue collar workers to take a paycut....

http://www.news.com.au/business/hold...-1226665581042

Whats your view on this, are Holden taking advantage of the recent ford announcements, and using 'scare tactics' to reduce their production costs?

I'm not a blue collar worker, but it pi$$es me off when the exec's draw huge salaries and they could contribute by taking a wage cut also....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
skidz
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1mers nuts :D

sack the fuckers and hire peeps on 457's and then you will have a car industry worth keeping!

seriously it kinda reminds me of the SPC situation years ago, the union comes in and says 'no farkn way will we take a pay cut' 'SPC tells staff 'sorry but we are losing money and will shut down' workers tell union to piss off.
Appreciate 0