E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Howling sound at 2000 rpm

05-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Howling sound at 2000 rpm

Hiya,

I'm stock. I started noticing a weird howling sound around 2000 rpm yesterday, in fact, I noticed it twice - once with 1/4 tank, so then I filled up, and it was still present. Never heard it before at these rpms. Car has 25k miles on the clock.

Basically, it sounds like what the engine sounds like normally when you rev to say 6000 and then let off the gas, it sounds like a wolf howling. Another analogy is it sounds like a drone.

It is only present at 1800 rpm +/- 100 rpm. Anything below, the car sounds normal, anything above, the car also sounds normal. At these RPM's, its problematic, cause it's my cruising speed around town in 4th gear...

Any ideas?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep

Ok, so I'm back...

I didn't notice the sound again till today. Car was cold (temps outside are low, 10C), and as soon as I got going in 2nd gear to 2000 rpm, I could hear the howl. This was only with the car cold. Revving the car like 2km down the road at some lights, I could not replicate the sound = its definitely present under load, not so much (if at all) under no load.

As soon as the car warmed up, the howl was no longer present.

I heard it at a different place (driving) than previously, so it cannot be some external factor (reverberation off a wall for example)

Unfortunately, it sounds a little bit like this:

Except its not as high pitched.

It also sounds a bit like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=GFSiMIYATjA
Except nowhere near as loud, i.e. its like 10% of the loudness of this video

Sooo... are my turbos on their way out? (((
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

I've had that howling noise for the last 20k miles on my turbos, and they are still making 21 psi to date with no problems matching boost target, the noise isn't really normal, but your turbos will be good for a while, nothing to worry about just yet. Once they start to smoke and you start to smell burnt oil, that's when I would start thinking of new turbos

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep

Thanks,

well, car is still in guarantee so I'm just wondering how much pressure I should put on the dealer to replace them both...

I have a year of guarantee left. Should I try get them done now, or wait a year?
Appreciate 0