E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Review of the JL Audio Dual Subs CP208LG-W3v3

06-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
bmvee
MMM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Review of the JL Audio Dual Subs CP208LG-W3v3

Review of the JL Audio CP208LG-W3V3 Dual Subs:

I've been looking to add subs to my E90 for more bottom end, but I didn't want to sacrifice a lot of trunk space. Overall these subs met and exceeded my expectations.

Why I chose this one:

There were options such as the fiberglass enclosure that fits in the corner. While this option would save space, however it would be harder to sell or switch to another car in the future. Just a thought. Then there are the Earthquakes SWS under the seats. This option would use no space at all, but requires modifications and going under the seats. Plus, they wouldn't bump as hard as the 8w3v3's in a real enclosure. Going back to factory later would take work. Single 10 or 12 in an enclosure would look out of place and uses more space. Overall the CP208LG-W3v3 was the ticket for me.

Sound Quality:

It's a lot of bass for two 8s. JL Audio did a great job here. Frequency response is good, clarity is good, and bass is tight. No blurring or crazy vibrations. One reason why I didn't any bigger. Just good ol bass.

I have the Harmon Kardon/Logic 7 sound system. It lacked low end bass, so these complemented the system well. At 80hz and below, these subs shine. Even frequencies below 25hz can be felt. There is a little reverberations during long bass chords, but it's not bad. I put phase to 180 on the amp and it sounds better. The crossover frequency between the mid-bass under the seats and these are around 60hz to 100hz. I like my low pass filter around 60hz to 70hz and turn up the gain to get that clean bass.

Fitment and feel:

This uses very little space. Fitment was spot on, at 35.5" wide, these fit right behind the rear seats with just a little room for the wires. At 5" thick, it's unobtrusive inside the trunk. The construction feels very sturdy and strong. The "JL Audio" sign is a nice touch. The grill is a little weak, I dented mine while moving it around. The grills are replaceable and expendable though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
GenteQ
Registered
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Nice clean setup... thanks for the review! I've been looking at the CP208LG vs. the single CP108LG, and just decided to go with the two 8s that'll be powered by the JL XD1000/1. Hard to find thorough reviews that are placed in the trunk. Seems like most people are using this in truck cabs, SUVs or hatches.

Is your sub completely sealed in your trunk or do you have any openings thru the rear deck at all? Curious to know how clean and hard it hits in a sealed trunk vs. vented sound.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

That is a pretty fresh and clean setup. How much did it run and what amp are u running?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
rightaway
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

where did you buy it from?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853393

You probably could've bought this instead. Probably cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
bmvee
MMM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenteQ View Post
Nice clean setup... thanks for the review! I've been looking at the CP208LG vs. the single CP108LG, and just decided to go with the two 8s that'll be powered by the JL XD1000/1. Hard to find thorough reviews that are placed in the trunk. Seems like most people are using this in truck cabs, SUVs or hatches.

Is your sub completely sealed in your trunk or do you have any openings thru the rear deck at all? Curious to know how clean and hard it hits in a sealed trunk vs. vented sound.
Thanks and np, thought I share. My trunk is still sealed. It hits pretty "hard". I know that term is subjective, but for me I felt it did the job. I feel that it hits harder if you face it up into the rear deck. If you face it to the rear, the bass is deeper, but minimal at best. Coincidentally, there is enough room on the side of the enclosure to allow the vented ports to breathe. I don't have the ski access option, so I couldn't open that hole to test it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
That is a pretty fresh and clean setup. How much did it run and what amp are u running?
I purchased it for $250. I'm running an Audison SR-1D 460w amp. It's a good match since the subs are rated 500w. Downside is the amp doesn't have balanced differential inputs. Upside, the amp is the lowest profile in its class, so I was able to fit it under the floor. No wires and clean setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightaway View Post
where did you buy it from?
I found the deal on ebay. Anywhere from $250 to $400. Amazon also carries it as well.
Appreciate 0