Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel Alignment

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
eogintz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi coupe

Wheel Alignment

Hey Folks,

I was wondering if it is necessary to only use dealer for a good wheel alignment. Some on the Internet say it is and others say it is not.

I have a really good tire/front end and alignment shop in my area who has the latest Hunter alignment machine and software. The owner is a race driver and tells me that they have done many 4 wheel BMW alignments and never had a problem. I have used them for about 20 years and they are honest and do great front end work. Their price is $89.95.

The cheapest nearby BMW dealer price for a wheel alignment is $189.95.

If the dealer can do a better job I don't mind going there and spending the going rate. If the other guy can do just as good an alignment and I can save $100, well that's even better.

The alignment of the car is definitely not way off but after hitting several potholes over the past year, I feel that the steering wheel is not as centered as it could be.

I am in Central New Jersey.

What have your experiences been? Thanks.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
dontburndapig
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i Sp/Pr/Ppk

In my opinion it really depends on the technicians working at the dealership.

My experience was not good at all with the dealership. Had to return twice to get it fixed, as the first time they did not center the steering wheel to the point where sensors detected the car was "slipping". Then they corrected the steering wheel alignment but did a lousy job at actually aligning the wheels.

Over here the cost for alignment is around $100, which is not too bad. But if you have a trusted shop with experienced technicians and the latest equipment, and a better price, I would do it.

You should also verify the shop's warranty policy.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

I went cheapo and had Townfaire Tire do mine. Probably shunned by most on these boards if not all, but when I took it too Turner they were impressed with it, so what does that say? Kinda like "don't" said, it depends on the technicians.
      06-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
dhanni848
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Depends on the tech for sure. I went to Firestone and got a lifetime alignment for $180. If they mess it up I take it right back.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I took my car in for an alignment at 185,000 after I replaced the suspension (DIY). The shop specializes in European cars. The totally F'd my alignment up only after I had two sets of tire eaten in 10,000 mile a set.

I took the car to another Indy. Got to talk directly to the tech, reviewed the alignment on with the car on the rack, he recommended setting that would max tire wear and not impact the handling. After 15,000 miles so far the car rides beautifully. Take it to the Indy you deal with; it sounds like he knows his stuff. A lot of dealers farm out alignments anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by eogintz View Post
Hey Folks,

I was wondering if it is necessary to only use dealer for a good wheel alignment. Some on the Internet say it is and others say it is not.

I have a really good tire/front end and alignment shop in my area who has the latest Hunter alignment machine and software. The owner is a race driver and tells me that they have done many 4 wheel BMW alignments and never had a problem. I have used them for about 20 years and they are honest and do great front end work. Their price is $89.95.

The cheapest nearby BMW dealer price for a wheel alignment is $189.95.

If the dealer can do a better job I don't mind going there and spending the going rate. If the other guy can do just as good an alignment and I can save $100, well that's even better.

The alignment of the car is definitely not way off but after hitting several potholes over the past year, I feel that the steering wheel is not as centered as it could be.

I am in Central New Jersey.

What have your experiences been? Thanks.

Ed
I'm also in Central NJ, i take mine to my local firestone @ the woodbrdige mall. I got a lifetime agreement and take it into them every few months and never had any issues. Ask for Fazad as the service writer and he can help u out
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Just find a good local indy shop thru word of mouth or online reviews (watch out for the obvious fake ones!). I'd never consider the stealership an option when it comes to alignments. You should never pay over $100 for one either. There is no BMW tax on alignments.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

Last time I got mine done, at an Indy shop, they were able to adjust camber and toe, but not caster, because they said it required a special tool...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
I went cheapo and had Townfaire Tire do mine. Probably shunned by most on these boards if not all, but when I took it too Turner they were impressed with it, so what does that say? Kinda like "don't" said, it depends on the technicians.
For some reason this post is incomprehensible... Is it me or...?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

i have the special tool for adjusting the front camber. The issue my alignment shop has is... they don't know how to get the locking pins out. so besides the front wheel camber... they can do ALL of the other adjustments just fine.

then again... if the pins r in the fronts... your camber shouldn't really change unless something is bent :P
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Isn't weighting the vehicle part of the BMW procedure?

imho many in the car business cheat, but the guy who was trained by BMW might know a little more than the guy with the GED getting paid minimum wage. You want those guys monkeying with your car for the rest of its life?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

you can buy the sand bags from toys r us and bring them with you. But ur right. I did it the first time i did my alignment and it was more of a PITA then worth it. I never had an issue with my alignment by not using the weight.

1) Drivers front 150 lbs (3x50lbs sand bags).
2) Passenger front 150 lbs (3x50lbs sand bags).
3) Rear center 150 lbs (3x50lbs sand bags).
4) Trunk centered 47 lbs
5) Full tank of gas

All i have been doing since alignment #2 and going foward was just to bring the car with a full tank of gas. No issues to report after 50k miles of this on my 335xi. I still have about 4mm tread even across all four tires. New tires were 8mm i believe and legally bald is 1.5 mm tread. I have put in the research and done a lot hands on experience. The proof for me is in the pudding, $200 @ Firestone for the win!

Last edited by fazman; 06-11-2013 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #13
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Isn't weighting the vehicle part of the BMW procedure?

imho many in the car business cheat, but the guy who was trained by BMW might know a little more than the guy with the GED getting paid minimum wage. You want those guys monkeying with your car for the rest of its life?
FWIW - the techs at BMW probably can't even afford to own a new BMW. Most are GED kids that r learning their craft on your car. Next time... take a moment to look in the back of the lot where they park their cars. You will see lots of non-bmw's (mostly Japanese or vw's) and most are probably about 5 years old or more. If you are good at ur craft, you open up your own shop... not slave away at a dealership where they run metrics on your cars/day. Its no different when u go to your primary care physician... the doc is only allowed 15 mins with u max because they have a bunch of patients to get thru for the medical group which bills out the doc time @ $200/hr and the doc needs to pull in $800 in revenue/hour to make the system work for the medical group.

Also, often times dealership just drive ur car to another alignment shop who is outsourced the job... because the hunter machines are made idiot proof and tell the tech exactly how to dial in everything.

Last edited by fazman; 06-11-2013 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
FWIW - the techs at BMW probably can't even afford to own a new BMW. Most are GED kids that r learning their craft on your car.
No wonder nothing gets fixed right whenever I take my car to the stealership...
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
No wonder nothing gets fixed right whenever I take my car to the stealership...
Unfortunately... the only way it will get fixed right is if you do all the diag yourself and then find the SIB and create all the paper work for the SA. Then maybe... just maybe the tech might be able to install it (but he will probably need to call BMW NA about how to do the labor) :P

It's usually faster if you do the work yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
eogintz
Private First Class
Rep

I want to thank everyone for their input. Especially fazman who lives not too far from me.

I think that after reading all of your posts I will go to the shop that I have been using for many years. They stay current on all of the latest equipment and techniques.

In fact, since writing this posting I met someone with a 645 who told me that he uses the same shop that I am considering for alignments, brakes, oil changes, etc.. and has never had a problem with any of their work. Thanks again everyone.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
redline2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 328i

QUOTE=fazman;14148970]
Also, often times dealership just drive ur car to another alignment shop who is outsourced the job... because the hunter machines are made idiot proof and tell the tech exactly how to dial in everything.[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt this last statement.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
Klaatu
Clean 335i
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline2001 View Post
QUOTE=fazman;14148970]
Also, often times dealership just drive ur car to another alignment shop who is outsourced the job... because the hunter machines are made idiot proof and tell the tech exactly how to dial in everything.
I highly doubt this last statement.[/QUOTE]

I don't....
Dealerships will often contract out wheel alignment to a Tire shop. Unless they are a leading large flagship dealer with all the gadgets, you will see the SA's drive the car out of the dealer over to the wheel alignment/tire shop.
Nearly all dealerships wash your car in-house, and nearly all dealers wheel align are outsourced.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
+1 for independent shops. Dealership prices for an alignment are straight robbery!

Joking aside, I've had very positive experiences with independent shops, and if you have been using that shop for years without an issue, I don't see why you should deviate from that.
      06-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eogintz View Post
I want to thank everyone for their input. Especially fazman who lives not too far from me.

I think that after reading all of your posts I will go to the shop that I have been using for many years. They stay current on all of the latest equipment and techniques.

In fact, since writing this posting I met someone with a 645 who told me that he uses the same shop that I am considering for alignments, brakes, oil changes, etc.. and has never had a problem with any of their work. Thanks again everyone.

Ed
Hi Ed,

If u like the work ur alighnment guy does for you... you should do him a favor and let the forums know his details. Maybe he will becomea sponsored vendor and do group buy for alighnments??? it becomes a win/win for everyone
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
eogintz
Private First Class
Rep

Good idea Fazman.

I will give him a try and if satisfied with the alignment I will speak with the owner about becoming a sponsor. Good thinking. Thanks.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #22
tanginaglaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Got mine done by a small shop and went to sears for a free alignment check. The did a pretty good job. Check out the sears link: http://www.sears.com/auto-center-raa...20000000160554