Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New Shoes and a Couple Questions

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

New Shoes and a Couple Questions

Just put on my new summer rims and tires yesterday. After a very long wait.

The tires are Michelin PSS 235/40/18 & 265/35/18.

The rims are AG M359 18x8.5 ET35 and 18x9.5 ET33. I plastidipped them gloss black and I think they came out very well. Minor issues in a few spots, but I can easily live with it.

I also threw on some 15mm front and 10mm rear spacers to put the offsets at ET20 and ET23, respectively.

The first issue is that there is now some vibration coming through my steering wheel. I'm assuming this could boil down to one of three reasons: the wheels are not balanced correctly, the spacers were not machined properly, or the anti-seize I used on the hubs is causing the spacers to not sit properly. Can anyone help me with this issue?

The second issue is that I am rubbing in the rear on bumps in the road. It is not a lot of rubbing, but I can hear it when it happens. My car is currently at the stock sport height and I only plan only installing some lowering perches to eliminate the wheel gap in the front. Could I get an alignment done and have them add some negative camber in the rear to fix this issue? Also will this even help when I have people in the rear?

My other solution to these issues is to lower the spacer in the front from 15mm to 10mm and clean off the anti-seize and remove the spacers all together in the rear unless someone has some input for me.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Last edited by chatch10; 06-20-2013 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: error in spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Start trouble shooting your vibration issues by removing the spacers and driving around. If the vibrations are still the same, it's likely the tires not being balanced properly. If you're going to lower the car, with the same setup, you're rubbing is only going to get worse. Adding more negative camber will help, but I would just recommend rolling the fenders.
      06-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

are the spacers hubcentric?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, I have the BMS spacers. I don't think they are the issue. I think it is probably the anti-seize. I just saw a post that said it might be a problem. If not, then I'm taking my wheels back to the dealership and having them re-balance the tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
Mr.Rnow
*_*809*_*
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW E9x

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch10
Just put on my new summer rims and tires yesterday. After a very long wait.

The tires are Michelin PSS 235/40/18 & 265/35/18.

The rims are AG M359 18x8.5 ET35 and 18x9.5 ET33. I plastidipped them gloss black and I think they came out very well. Minor issues in a few spots, but I can easily live with it.

I also threw on some 15mm front and 10mm rear spacers to put the offsets at ET20 and ET23, respectively.

The first issue is that there is now some vibration coming through my steering wheel. I'm assuming this could boil down to one of three reasons: the wheels are not balanced correctly, the spacers were not machined properly, or the anti-seize I used on the hubs is causing the spacers to not sit properly. Can anyone help me with this issue?

The second issue is that I am rubbing in the rear on bumps in the road. It is not a lot of rubbing, but I can hear it when it happens. My car is currently at the stock sport height and I only plan only installing some lowering perches to eliminate the wheel gap in the front. Could I get an alignment done and have them add some negative camber in the rear to fix this issue? Also will this even help when I have people in the rear?

My other solution to these issues is to lower the spacer in the front from 15mm to 10mm and clean off the anti-seize and remove the spacers all together in the rear unless someone has some input for me.

Thanks for the help!
I have
Back/ 255/35/18 Front/ 225/40/18
I get vibration when i hit the 40mph
After that nothing dealer don't know shit... Pay for balance and alignment thinking it would fix the problem but no $250 for this shit and nothing now they told me to replace my bushing I'm upgrading to m3 parts on that... Check hub rings that might help some times
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

I got the same issues right now with my Forgestars, I'm going in for an alignment when I get back from my vacation, but I'm going to get the wheels balanced again as I hear a thumping sound between 50-70mph. Hopefully that solves it, but I might have to end up doing a fender roll as well since there is rubbing. Hopefully that's it and I have no bent wheel which is one of my concerns since it's been a week since I took delivery and had them mounted with PSSes. All of this on an MSport suspension might I add.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the help guys!

I'm going to start with cleaning the anti-seize of the hubs really well. If that doesn't work then I'm going to take the spacers off completely. If none of that works then I'm going to take the rims in and have them checked.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Did you ever solve your issue? I have the exact same wheels/tires but with no spacers and I get a light shimmy right at 50mph. It's not bad but my bmw wheels didn't do this and it bugs me. I had them road force balanced and the tire shop said they were "balanced to zero". I also put on some anti-sieze but barely any at all. Might try to clean off any excess and re-install but other than that I might have to take them back to tire shop to have them re-balanced...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
Did you ever solve your issue? I have the exact same wheels/tires but with no spacers and I get a light shimmy right at 50mph. It's not bad but my bmw wheels didn't do this and it bugs me. I had them road force balanced and the tire shop said they were "balanced to zero". I also put on some anti-sieze but barely any at all. Might try to clean off any excess and re-install but other than that I might have to take them back to tire shop to have them re-balanced...
No solution yet. I'm going to take it into the dealer and have them look at it since I've taken it to a couple shops and they all have said the wheels are balanced. I'm almost convinced I have warped rotors because the shimmy happens only when I brake. Either way, it is very annoying and I just want to get it fixed. I'll keep you updated on what I find out.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

I took my front wheels back to the tire shop and had them re-balance. They were both 1 oz. off which they corrected and now the steering wheel vibration/shimmy is basically gone. The guy said the initial balancing can change a little with new wheels/tires once the tires get seated/broken....will try to post pic of my set up....
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
I took my front wheels back to the tire shop and had them re-balance. They were both 1 oz. off which they corrected and now the steering wheel vibration/shimmy is basically gone. The guy said the initial balancing can change a little with new wheels/tires once the tires get seated/broken....will try to post pic of my set up....
Thanks for letting me know that. I guess I'll see what the dealership says. Hopefully it's nothing major even though I'm under warranty.
Appreciate 0