E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > PUMA case - steering pop/bind - steering rack

09-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

PUMA case - steering pop/bind - steering rack

I posted this in the wrong section before so starting a new thread here for posterities sake. Also to help people find the info easier in the future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have my car in for the 2nd time at the dealership for a strange steering pop/bind when turning left. Its a very disturbing problem to me. It feels like the steering rack or some other component is binding. Once it binds it takes a good amount of force to get past it and continue the turn. This is annoying at slow speeds, but at highway speeds its downright dangerous. Imagine changing lanes at 80mph and all of a sudden the steering is frozen only to pop and release.

Not cool!

Talked to my SA, he told me they started a PUMA case on the issue and it will take a few days to correct.

I'll keep you all updated.

Anyone else have a dealership address this issue yet?
      09-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Ok my car is fixed. Here are the details.

Car was in twice, first time they could not replicate the problem....i.e. they did not drive it long enough as it occurred often.

2nd time in my SA drove it himself as well as the tech, they both felt the pop/bind in the steering and agreed it was not good. They said BMWNA told them not to give the car back to me until it was fixed. I guess worried about a lawsuit if I crashed as a result.

They ended up replacing the steering rack and steering gear?? which seems to have fixed the problem 100%.

Here is my service receipt for future reference of the issue. see close up below

09-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
dmichael
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GTI

you see the first part listed?

RMFD STRNG GEAR

RMFD stands for remanufactured.

I can see if the car has 40k, 50k miles, but less than 10-15k, it's questionable.
      09-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

yeah I dont know what to do about that. They have the right to use re manufactured parts I was told once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post
you see the first part listed?

RMFD STRNG GEAR

RMFD stands for remanufactured.

I can see if the car has 40k, 50k miles, but less than 10-15k, it's questionable.