E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede USB Connection

07-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Procede USB Connection

I know there's threads on this, but looking for what computers people have had success with. Mainly cheap laptop I can still purchase new. If I can avoid new computer that would be best of course. Any of these tablets can do USB with procede software?

I have the sabrent cable which worked fine on my Viao, but new Lenovo won't connect for crap. Best is maybe 30sec in Vista capatibility... tried everything. How about a specific driver... Tried window auto search, sabrent site, the cd... but I think most are the same one. How about USB 2.0 or 3.0... I've had more success on 3.0 with 30 sec connect compared with like 5sec.

All USB sleep has been disabled AFAIK.

Any help/advise would be great... otherwise I will crash while toggling on/offline at WOT trying to get a log.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Shoot me a pm and I will give you the driver that it working with mine. Give me your email address
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Sent email to you. Let me know if it works
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
K.david
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Compatibility

I ran into the same issues as you did. I searched the forums and scoured the Internet after a failed fw update bricked the car. I even contacted Vishnue with no solution. After many failed attempts and sitting in my car for hours I finally found the solution. When you load the driver right click and select the xp compatibility mode. Let it load and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.david View Post
I ran into the same issues as you did. I searched the forums and scoured the Internet after a failed fw update bricked the car. I even contacted Vishnue with no solution. After many failed attempts and sitting in my car for hours I finally found the solution. When you load the driver right click and select the xp compatibility mode. Let it load and you'll be fine.
ahh ok, so I ran the Procede software in compatibility mode, BUT you can also install the driver in compatibility mode.

Do you have the Sabrent cable by chance and windows 7 64bit? If so did you use the CD driver or from the website? Shouldn't most usb/serial drivers work for various cables, so maybe Sabrent specific doesn't matter.

thanks for the help guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
K.david
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Sorry I don't remember the brand off the top of my head, but I remember it only costing less than $20. Yes I am running windows 7 64bit and yes I downloaded the driver from the website. Always get the most recent software version if you can. I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
DesertDude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 DCT

I too have the Sabrent cable, or so I thought since I had been using the Sabrent drivers previously (Win7 x64). However, when I upgraded to new Windows 8 x64 laptop the latest version of the Sabrent drivers did not work.

Apparently there are some other companies whose cables use the same controller chip as Sabrent but didn't release their own drivers and were using Sabrent drivers for their product. Sabrent's latest drivers detect if the cable is a genuine Sabrent cable and don't allow other cables to work.

This may not be your issue since you are using Windows 7 x64, but in my research I found out that the common controller chip being used by a lot of these USB to Serial cables is manufactured by Prolific. I found drivers release directly from Prolific that did work for me and they are compatible with Windows 7 x64 so it may be worth a try.

You can find them here.

The other option would be to try an older version of the Sabrent drivers that don't have the detection built in. I believe the original ones I installed said they were Vista compatible (I installed them when Win7 was in beta).

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
DesertDude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 DCT

One other note.

In Windows 8, once I had installed the Sabrent drivers, it was a real pain in the @$$ to get the OS to switch to the newly installed Prolific drivers.

This may not be an issue for Windows 7, but make sure you check Device Manager after installing and connecting to make sure you are using the Prolific drivers.

If not, you can manually "upgrade" the drivers from the properties dialog and manually select the drivers you want to upgrade to, selecting the Prolific drivers of course.

-Robert
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I have no probs connecting, just won't stay connected. With Viao it would disconnect also, but then reconnect 1 to 2sec later. With the Lenovo no luck... have to toggle off/online. Multiple drivers have worked on connecting both USB 2.0 and 3.0, but with varying timeouts... about 30sec is my best average so far. I haven't tried "installing" in capatibility mode, which will be my next action.

@cn555ic try sending again, never received your email.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #10
Lux3m35i
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

If it loses connection after time it is proably due to wrong bitrate settings. please check if you have selected the correct sample rate for the serial adapter.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ok, anyone having this issue and refers to my update below will be very disappointed.

Basically I got lucky and don’t know what I did. Installed various drivers toggling different capabilities, sometimes they installed, sometimes not, switching between USB 2.0 and 3.0… many restarts. Finally I stumbled on something that worked. The cable is NOT recognized in 3.0, but 2.0 works almost flawlessly now with occasional disconnects, but it reconnects within a sec or 2. I think I did use the latest win7 driver though from the Sabrent link in the readme pdf.

Sorry, this is of no help but I’m relieved. Thanks for all the help!
Appreciate 0