M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Meisterschaft GTC full system or just section 3?

A few random Qs.... As the title asks - For all who have installed the Meisterschaft GTC system, can anyone share experiences between the two (full/Section 3)? What made you go full compared to just Section 3 or vice versa? Do the valves really quiet it down in "real world" experiences? Is there an obvious increase in sound between the two (full/sect. 3) as well as anyones thoughts on in-cabin drone. I'm coming from a RPI GTS-E60 M5 full system and the dreaded ASR system so I know a bit about "in cabin" sounds from exhausts.

I am entertaining this valved system and just trying to figure out if the whole system is the way to go or just get the mufflers and move on.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black F10 M5

I have the full system and I love it. There is drone between 1500-1800rpm. I personally don't mind it but have heard from others that it bothers them. The most important thing to remember IMHO is that personal taste in exhaust note is subjective, especially WRT aftermarket exhausts.

With the valves closed I feel that the sound is close to stock but with a more exotic note. Open valves are loud and sound great. Again I have no regrets with the full system; my M5 sounds more aggressive and I definitely feel it pulls harder.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Yep personal preference and cost difference
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep

Guys, thanks for the responses.

Is there any drone when valve is "closed"? Why spend the extra $$ if Section 3 will do the trick. I'll also go through the videos again, maybe someone has only done a section 3 Meister............
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Cubicinches
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Does "full" mean with the x-pipe whereas "section 3 only" means just the standard system? If so, then I have the standard system. The exhaust drones between ~1,500 and ~1,900 rpm. I personally dislike the drone a lot, even with the valve closed (i.e. quiet). With the valve open (i.e. loud), I find the drone really annoying and cruising on the highway in 7th to be essentially unbearable. With the valve closed the system sounds noticeably louder than stock and sounds nice. With the valve open, it sounds epic. But I can't handle it for more than 10-15 minutes before I find it too loud and a bit tiring. I sometimes open the valve halfway and find it to be nice but not obnoxious. But the throatiness is best when fully open. If it weren't for the drone I'd be really happy. The problem is that you hear the drone every time you accelerate through every gear since it's really hard to avoid 1,500-1,900 rpm. And when you decelerate you go back through that rpm range again and hear the drone again. I honestly don't know how folks can drive around with the system open all of the time, but unto his each own. And I recognize that I have somewhat sensitive ears. My understanding is that if you get the x-pipe then you lose the resonators and you make the drone even worse. But maybe I'm mixed up. I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicinches View Post
Does "full" mean with the x-pipe whereas "section 3 only" means just the standard system? If so, then I have the standard system. The exhaust drones between ~1,500 and ~1,900 rpm. I personally dislike the drone a lot, even with the valve closed (i.e. quiet). With the valve open (i.e. loud), I find the drone really annoying and cruising on the highway in 7th to be essentially unbearable. With the valve closed the system sounds noticeably louder than stock and sounds nice. With the valve open, it sounds epic. But I can't handle it for more than 10-15 minutes before I find it too loud and a bit tiring. I sometimes open the valve halfway and find it to be nice but not obnoxious. But the throatiness is best when fully open. If it weren't for the drone I'd be really happy. The problem is that you hear the drone every time you accelerate through every gear since it's really hard to avoid 1,500-1,900 rpm. And when you decelerate you go back through that rpm range again and hear the drone again. I honestly don't know how folks can drive around with the system open all of the time, but unto his each own. And I recognize that I have somewhat sensitive ears. My understanding is that if you get the x-pipe then you lose the resonators and you make the drone even worse. But maybe I'm mixed up. I hope that helps.
Full meaning entire system with x pipe compared to just last piece (mufflers). I'm a bit surprised by this but thank you for your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicinches
I respectfully disagree with this assessment (and I know we've PM'd about this) but I drove all day today with the valves closed and I experienced no drone. The revs are louder and, IMO, more exotic but I'm definitely not getting any drone and it's minutely louder than stock. Agree with your assessment of valves open: loud, drone, and, to me, awesome. I'm very satisfied with my Meisterschaft with LXR pipe and have no regrets about getting it. It is, of course, subjective, but to me valves closed is very tame.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #8
mattkim85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I am in the exact same situation as well.

So what did you end up going with? full or just rear section?

any noticeable drone?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkim85 View Post

any noticeable drone?
get resonated rpi gtm
week later u will want catless dp's
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkim85 View Post

any noticeable drone?
Ended up just adding an Eisenmann Race Axel back only. My ears must be shot cause it's not nearly as loud as everyone talks about. My RPI full system on my previous E60 M5 was much more disruptive . They all drone a little between 1500 and 2000 rpms under load. Still like the idea of the valve, just jumped on a real good deal and haven't looked back.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Im local if you want to hear my car.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rivian R1T

Full GTC on my M6
- Closed: no drone
- Open: 2+ drone

With addition of AMS catted DP
- Closed: 1+ drone
- Open: 3-4+ drone
      11-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
mattkim85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
Im local if you want to hear my car.
would love to, but I'm in LA

lol
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
mattkim85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F12M6MD View Post
Full GTC on my M6
- Closed: no drone
- Open: 2+ drone

With addition of AMS catted DP
- Closed: 1+ drone
- Open: 3-4+ drone
thanks for that, gives me a good idea of what to expect.

Do you get a cel with the DP? did anyone come up with a tune yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rivian R1T

I do not have a tune. My dp's are catted. No cel.

Mark