M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-17-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
shady908
ºTurbo Feverº
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

• F10 M5 • Velos Designwerks Tune • MUST READ

Hey all,

Many of you probably don't know me, I've recently picked up an F10 M5, coming from an E64 M6. Before I'm from a Procharged 650whp C6, TT G35 584whp, and various other tuner cars. You can search me on various forums under the same username "Shady908". I have been eager to see tuning results on this new M5 since before I even bought it, luckily I saw the thread created by Velos Designwerks the other day & decided to give their tune a try.

•Goals•
My car is a lease, so I was looking to retain factory-like feel, as well as gain some power. Making sure the tune wasn't going to actually show up on a typical dealer maintenance visit was crucial too. I come from the high HP world, with huge TQ & turbo's spooling up with crazy power, I wanted to see someone tune these engines to show what they can really do... As many of you probably feel, the stock F10 M5 is great, but it feels tamed.

•Velos Designwerks•
Don't really want to make this review about them as a company, but I will tell you they are a class act, nice clean shop. Staff is all very friendly, and Omar is a really cool guy to talk to. Some of them including Omar have an AA background, so they know their stuff.

•Results•
Went out for a ride with Omar to an abandoned road, did multiple 20-80mph runs just to really feel the car. At this point I was NOT worried about power at all, I was more focused on drivability, throttle response, and overall driving experience compared to stock. The throttle is definitely more responsive, the exhaust (stock) makes a more noticeable "back surge" during shifts. Very noticeable the car was pulling harder throughout the 3500-5500 range too. After talking with Omar, back at the shop, for awhile I headed back home (about an hour of highway driving) and this is when I really noticed the midrange power. Coming from the S85 V10 in the M6, which is really just meant for revving the piss out of, this new tune coupled with the new engine is just so much more enjoyable. On the highway at approx. 70mph in 3/4 gear, overtaking a car, the way this thing is eating the road is incredible. No other words for it. It finally feels as if someone let this full sized dog out of the cage to run around the yard.

Overall, I'm very happy, I've tested the car out from an array of speeds & conditions. (I'm someone who actually DRIVES my cars) Must say this tune is very good especially when you do a good mix of driving like myself 50/50 city/highway. I've had Cobb tuned STI, Vishnu tuned 335, HKS FCON tuned G35, and an array of other piggyback tunes, the Velos tune is definitely solid!

I'm sure some will ask why this over the Eurocharged tune or others, and for the respect of supporting vendors on this board, if you'd like to know why just PM me.
I will probably be really bad at checking this thread, so just PM me!

Happy driving!

-Sean

05 C6 Corvette - Procharged - 655whp
06 G35 TT - 584whp

Last edited by shady908; 07-17-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Interesting. Are you based in Miami? I'd love to experience this tune.

How do you know it is not detectable by dealer? Have you taken it to the dealer?

Do you know who actually developed this tune? I'm assuming Velos is a reseller rather than the actual developer of the tune given the size of their operations.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
shady908
ºTurbo Feverº
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

@stealth.pilot
Im in Palm beach county, I'm obviously not positive the dealer can't see it however, from my understanding & watching the programming, it would make sense that it would be undetectable by the dealer. I'm assuming Velos developed the tune, they have their own shop & do quite amount of work on the X6M engine... would guess this was created off of that.
05 C6 Corvette - Procharged - 655whp
06 G35 TT - 584whp
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady908 View Post
@stealth.pilot
Im in Palm beach county, I'm obviously not positive the dealer can't see it however, from my understanding & watching the programming, it would make sense that it would be undetectable by the dealer. I'm assuming Velos developed the tune, they have their own shop & do quite amount of work on the X6M engine... would guess this was created off of that.
My guess is that this also is a Noelle software tune (as that apparently is the only tune available at the moment apart from piggyback tunes like Hartge).
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
lifesgud2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

without actual dyno numbers before and after this is worthless.. Just saying..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesgud2 View Post
without actual dyno numbers before and after this is worthless.. Just saying..
And worthless because no real world drag strip times, vbox runs, or racing videos.

It's like old Tommy Boy here. If you want me to take a dump in a box and call it "guaranteed" I will, I got the extra time.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
lifesgud2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
And worthless because no real world drag strip times, vbox runs, or racing videos.

It's like old Tommy Boy here. If you want me to take a dump in a box and call it "guaranteed" I will, I got the extra time.

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
Longwong
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 catless

Dealers and techs cannot even reset an oil indicator let alone know a tune is on a car however they are not the ones to be concerned about. The only time it is a problem is if something happens to your engine which requires them to bring in a real tech from bmw NA to pull and dump the car data which basic dealers cannot do. They will dump the data and easily see the car was tuned despite what every tuner says. They can read max boost, timing, max rpms hit, time spent at certain boost levels and it will be very apparent there is a tune.

So the risk is not the day to day dealer visits but rather if something goes wrong, you are going to have trouble if the damage is severe enough to warrant them to look into the underlying cause. These engines are 30k so believe me they will look for tuning as they know the aftermarket tuning and their turbo cars have pushed them
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
kenny@velosdesignwerks
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady908 View Post
Hey all,

Many of you probably don't know me, I've recently picked up an F10 M5, coming from an E64 M6. Before I'm from a Procharged 650whp C6, TT G35 584whp, and various other tuner cars. You can search me on various forums under the same username "Shady908". I have been eager to see tuning results on this new M5 since before I even bought it, luckily I saw the thread created by Velos Designwerks the other day & decided to give their tune a try.

•Goals•
My car is a lease, so I was looking to retain factory-like feel, as well as gain some power. Making sure the tune wasn't going to actually show up on a typical dealer maintenance visit was crucial too. I come from the high HP world, with huge TQ & turbo's spooling up with crazy power, I wanted to see someone tune these engines to show what they can really do... As many of you probably feel, the stock F10 M5 is great, but it feels tamed.

•Velos Designwerks•
Don't really want to make this review about them as a company, but I will tell you they are a class act, nice clean shop. Staff is all very friendly, and Omar is a really cool guy to talk to. Some of them including Omar have an AA background, so they know their stuff.

•Results•
Went out for a ride with Omar to an abandoned road, did multiple 20-80mph runs just to really feel the car. At this point I was NOT worried about power at all, I was more focused on drivability, throttle response, and overall driving experience compared to stock. The throttle is definitely more responsive, the exhaust (stock) makes a more noticeable "back surge" during shifts. Very noticeable the car was pulling harder throughout the 3500-5500 range too. After talking with Omar, back at the shop, for awhile I headed back home (about an hour of highway driving) and this is when I really noticed the midrange power. Coming from the S85 V10 in the M6, which is really just meant for revving the piss out of, this new tune coupled with the new engine is just so much more enjoyable. On the highway at approx. 70mph in 3/4 gear, overtaking a car, the way this thing is eating the road is incredible. No other words for it. It finally feels as if someone let this full sized dog out of the cage to run around the yard.

Overall, I'm very happy, I've tested the car out from an array of speeds & conditions. (I'm someone who actually DRIVES my cars) Must say this tune is very good especially when you do a good mix of driving like myself 50/50 city/highway. I've had Cobb tuned STI, Vishnu tuned 335, HKS FCON tuned G35, and an array of other piggyback tunes, the Velos tune is definitely solid!

I'm sure some will ask why this over the Eurocharged tune or others, and for the respect of supporting vendors on this board, if you'd like to know why just PM me.
I will probably be really bad at checking this thread, so just PM me!

Happy driving!

-Sean

Thank you for the kind words and enjoy the car in good health.

To all our local F10 M5 owners, we will be offering FREE before and after dyno runs for a limited time. Please feel free to PM me to set up an appointment.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
kenny@velosdesignwerks
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver

All PMs replied. =)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny@velosdesignwerks
All PMs replied. =)
Any luck on the limiter Kenny? My understanding is this is another press tune, limited functionality.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Any luck on the limiter Kenny? My understanding is this is another press tune, limited functionality.

Noushy
Top Speed has been addressed and available for Off Road use. This is not a "press file". This is still not available remotely. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

ANy F10 M5 owners in the South Florida area interested in a software upgrade for your vehicle. PM for more info.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
beemerbill
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 MCB

It seemed to me that the black M5 was keeping up with the silver a lot of the time. Even stayed ahead a couple times... Don't know if that really says anything for the tune... If the silver one were to pull the black one every time, then I would say yes the tune is doing something, but it did not. It could have been the silver car got a little jump on the start... BUT.. they both sounded great and would be proud to own either. Hopefully mine will end up sounding that good. Just waiting on break in to be finished. lol

BB
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbill View Post
It seemed to me that the black M5 was keeping up with the silver a lot of the time. Even stayed ahead a couple times... Don't know if that really says anything for the tune... If the silver one were to pull the black one every time, then I would say yes the tune is doing something, but it did not. It could have been the silver car got a little jump on the start... BUT.. they both sounded great and would be proud to own either. Hopefully mine will end up sounding that good. Just waiting on break in to be finished. lol

BB
The 4 rolling starts the silver won 3. It lost one because it was in wrong gear. Specifically Race #2. You really need to listen to the sound in the video to see when the cars start to race.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #16
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
Dealers and techs cannot even reset an oil indicator let alone know a tune is on a car however they are not the ones to be concerned about. The only time it is a problem is if something happens to your engine which requires them to bring in a real tech from bmw NA to pull and dump the car data which basic dealers cannot do. They will dump the data and easily see the car was tuned despite what every tuner says. They can read max boost, timing, max rpms hit, time spent at certain boost levels and it will be very apparent there is a tune.

So the risk is not the day to day dealer visits but rather if something goes wrong, you are going to have trouble if the damage is severe enough to warrant them to look into the underlying cause. These engines are 30k so believe me they will look for tuning as they know the aftermarket tuning and their turbo cars have pushed them

+1
Appreciate 0