E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Installing a FMIC

07-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Installing a FMIC

I had the pleasure of installing my FMIC twice this week and here a few pointers I learned through both processes that may help future first timers with the install. Put your flame throwers away:

1. Wash the silicon couplers in dish soap to remove any surface oils and dry them with a lint free cloth.
2. Use Acetone or Brake parts cleaner on all pipes and intercooler to remove any oil blowby or grease.
3. Position your clamps on the couplers before installing them.
4. Spritz the couplers with strong hairspray to help them slide on and to help seal them.
5. Take note of where the beads are on the pipes and take time to position the couplers so the clamps will seat behind the beads.
6. A driver with a flex joint and deep socket will make quick work of the clamp tightening, but do the final tightening by hand.
7. Tighten your clamps until they are very tight/difficult to tighten any more.
8. When installation is complete, wait 30 minutes to allow the hairspray to cure before going for a test drive. Usually by the time you are done cleaning up you're about ready to go.

My first installation was easy, but I didn't wash or degrease anything. In fact, i wiped a little moly grease on the couplers to help them slide on. As you would guess I had boost leaks everywhere. After some research online on diesel truck forums (where guys are running 40-80 lbs of boost) I realized I made mistakes and decided to just redo the install the right way. Now I have no boost leaks; go figure! Nothing I listed above is revolutionary, and most install guys know these tricks, but for newbies it should prove helpful.

07-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
I had the pleasure of installing my FMIC twice this week and here a few pointers I learned through both processes that may help future first timers with the install. Put your flame throwers away:

1. Wash the silicon couplers in dish soap to remove any surface oils and dry them with a lint free cloth.
2. Use Acetone or Brake parts cleaner on all pipes and intercooler to remove any oil blowby or grease.
4. Spritz the couplers with strong hairspray to help them slide on and to help seal them.
5. Take note of where the beads are on the pipes and take time to position the couplers so the clamps will seat behind the beads.
6. A driver with a flex joint and deep socket will make quick work of the clamp tightening, but do the final tightening by hand.
8. When installation is complete, wait 30 minutes to allow the hairspray to cure before going for a test drive. Usually by the time you are done cleaning up you're about ready to go.

My first installation was easy, but I didn't wash or degrease anything. In fact, i wiped a little moly grease on the couplers to help them slide on. As you would guess I had boost leaks everywhere. After some research online on diesel truck forums (where guys are running 40-80 lbs of boost) I realized I made mistakes and decided to just redo the install the right way. Now I have no boost leaks; go figure! Nothing I listed above is revolutionary, and most install guys know these tricks, but for newbies it should prove helpful.

Those are great tips and I'm sure many have learned a lot from them. There are many misconceptions about the "Easy stuff".
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Great tips, definitely going to refer future customers to this

Thanks for taking the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
BoostAddict
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 335i

Good post!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Nice write up. I plan on installing mine myself...

What FMIC did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Nice write up. I plan on installing mine myself...

What FMIC did you go with?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say VRSF 7" judging from his signature
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say VRSF 7" judging from his signature