E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > OpenFlash Tablet Stage 1 OTS Review / Dyno

07-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
EastBayE90
Formerly (-(ellblazer420
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i M/T, 15 F80 M3 DCT

Garage List
OpenFlash Tablet Stage 1 OTS Review / Dyno

Many of you may remember me as (-(ellblazer420 from years back. It’s been a crazy first year of marriage. Let’s just say I haven’t had the usual man cave time to spend on my first baby, my E90.

Some background on my car. I have run pretty much every new Vishnu tune in the past 3 years. From the original tunes back in 2010 to the aggressive tunes. Then onto the first PWM meth kit in 2011. From there I played around with E85 for a while with the backend Vishnu flash. Over all this time I have never actually put any mods on my car other than tune, meth and DCIs. I have been patiently waiting for my warranty to end at the end of September before I started adding the downpipes, front mount, etc.

After coming out of hiding for the past few months I heard about this new company OpenFlash that was working with Vishnu to put together revolutionary new product for the N54 platform. As is tradition, I contacted Rob@vishnu and Shiv to let them know I’m in for some beta testing. After a few days at Vishnu auto spa I got a call from Shiv saying the car was ready.

First thing I have to say about the OpenFlash is that I am in LOVE. I opted to not purchase the Tablet until after warranty is out in September. That way when I start adding parts I can customize my tune and play around with the settings. So I do not have any first hand experience with the Tablet itself. For now I just wanted a simple tune to run on my daily driver. Shiv delivered.

Being so used to how the car feels with a Procede for the past 3 years I was excited to see what would be the difference between a flash and a piggy back. After letting the car warm up I was off on my first test drive. On the first punch in 2nd coming out of my complex, my 285’s broke loose like they were bicycle tires. I knew right away this was a different beast. Before with the Procede I was running 13.5 psi and it felt very solid with the backend flash. But this was 18 psi down low tapering to 13 psi at the top. The extra boost down low is a lot of fun and gives the car more balls. Around town the car feels more stock like as far as drivability. The tip into throttle is as linear and easy to modulate as the Procede which is no easy feat. Downshifts are very crisp and there is no bog at all during up shifts. The car seems almost butter smooth like when meth is flowing. Everything just feels crisp and snappy. It feels like I am driving someone else’s car honestly. If you compare tune VS tune I am actually now making around 10 hp more and 10 more ft-lbs than I was on the aggressive maps.

All runs done on the same DynoJet with only DCI's
Basline Dyno: 284hp 293ft-lbs
Aggressive Maps Stage 1: 348hp 395ft-lbs
OpenFlash OTS Stage 1 Map: 360hp 404ft-lbs

The only thing that I can say that I miss at this point is the gauges. Everything else feels so good that I pretty much forgot what a Procede is in the few short days that I have driven the OpenFlash. What a lot seem to be forgetting is how important this OpenFlash idea is to the community as a whole. These tablets will start spreading around the world. As more and more people use and edit their own maps they will share with others. This will start a snowball effect that will bring to this community what many other car communities have already. A true open tuning solution. Let’s say in September I throw on some downpipes and a front mount. I can easily just go download the OTS stage 2 or stage 3 maps and be pretty much ready to go. If that doesn’t suite me I can ask others for their maps and try out as many maps as I seem fit until I am content. I can also have each Map custom tuned by Shiv and load each one up depending on what I plan to achieve that day. I love to attend the Shift S3ctor events and this will be perfect for when I switch back to E85. Over all I could not be more happy with the product so far and this is just the beginning! $395.00 is a steal to jump into this exciting product. Just imagine what we will have in just a few short months.

(410whp 445ft/lbs | DCI + Meth Only)
OpenFlash OTS Stage 1 Flash | Vishnu PWM Meth Kit | Vishnu DCI| Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
It's nice to see some S1 numbers, thanks for taking the time to post them up! I'm tempted to pick one of these up for our shop car for the ease of custom map creation alone.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
vfeng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [9.00]

Saw your car over at Vishnu yesterday when I was picking up the OpenFlash for myself
      07-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Robert@vishnu
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette C6 Z06

OpenFlash

Hey EastBayE90,
Good to have you back on e90post. The openflash tablet is pretty amazing for what its able to achieve on your car with just dci. We knew you would love how smooth the car drove and how boost response and throttle is very predictable.

Once you get dp and fmic on your car you are really going to enjoy the performance.

Tiago: You should certainly get one. This thing is pretty rad!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Dude...clean your engine bay
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Young_Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone been on the dyno with one of these tablets with FBO and pump gas yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Robert@vishnu
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette C6 Z06

First batch of Tablets got shipped out on monday. Most of the people will be getting theirs today and tomorrow. I am suspecting that once people have installed this in their vehicle feedbacks/reviews/independent dyno results will come shortly after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Man View Post
Has anyone been on the dyno with one of these tablets with FBO and pump gas yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Thanks for the review!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Young_Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert@vishnu View Post
First batch of Tablets got shipped out on monday. Most of the people will be getting theirs today and tomorrow. I am suspecting that once people have installed this in their vehicle feedbacks/reviews/independent dyno results will come shortly after.
Cool. Once I see more reviews I will probably be making the switch.
AA Signature Exhaust / AA 3" Catless Downpipes / VRSF 7" FMIC / AFE Dual Cone Intake / ER Charge Pipe / Tial Q BOV / RPI Scoops / RB Upgraded PCV & Cap / BMS OCC / Alpina Trans Flash / Powered by JB4 G5 ISO
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
TTurbo335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

lol hellblazer420.. congratz on getting married.

Thanks for the review. Looks like i'll be placing my order sooner than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

I don't understand why these OTS maps are smoother than COBB's (flash vs. flash).

I always thought that that the PROcede were suppose to have a better boost response since they can adapt to wastegate stiffness, and that flashing was inferior to the PROcede method (piggy back).

I was once a PROcede owner who now runs COBB, so I am genuinely curious as to why the OTS maps offered by PROcede look so smooth on this device.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post
I don't understand why these OTS maps are smoother than COBB's (flash vs. flash).

I always thought that that the PROcede were suppose to have a better boost response since they can adapt to wastegate stiffness, and that flashing was inferior to the PROcede method (piggy back).

I was once a PROcede owner who now runs COBB, so I am genuinely curious as to why the OTS maps offered by PROcede look so smooth on this device.
WGDC mapping. It's going to be impossible with any flash based tune to get the base and PID tables nailed down for every car/hardware variation that's out there. Once/if a lot of people start hitting the dynos and logs start going up there's going to be some people that are going need fine tuning to get everything dialed in. If you're having boost control problems shoot me a PM and I can help you out
      07-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
WGDC mapping. It's going to be impossible with any flash based tune to get the base and PID tables nailed down for every car/hardware variation that's out there. Once/if a lot of people start hitting the dynos and logs start going up there's going to be some people that are going need fine tuning to get everything dialed in. If you're having boost control problems shoot me a PM and I can help you out
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

Hmm this is starting to sound open sourcie.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

There are nice, knowledgeable, helpful people out there like the couple of guys above.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
I understand what you are saying and I'm aware that people can fine tune their tune.

However, my question focuses more on why the OTS flash maps (provided by Vishnu) from the open tablet are smoother than the COBB OTS flash maps from all the reviews and dynos I've seen thus far?

One of the major strengths of the PROcede versus flash tunes was in regards to boost response, but now it seems the open tablet maps are just as smooth as the PROcede.

Unless, those that are runnung the open flash maps and posted their dynos had their cars fine tuned at the dyno... Then, that should be mentioned in their reviews.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #17
FrozenM3nace
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92, E32 750il

Are you making that horsepower to the wheels? Auto or manual?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #18
TrendyBull
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 - '04 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert@vishnu View Post
Ill be picking up my e90 im buying is S.F. on wednesday... could i swing by the shop and pick one of these nifty units up??
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyare1 View Post
Are you making that horsepower to the wheels? Auto or manual?
Dyno results are from a Dynojet. So they are to the wheels. Andy's car is a 6AT. Stock right down to the intake box.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyBull View Post
Ill be picking up my e90 im buying is S.F. on wednesday... could i swing by the shop and pick one of these nifty units up??
If we have units in stock next week, sure. You might want to reserve one by emailing sales@vishnutuning.com. We could install it here at the office if you'd like.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #21
Agetec
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3

What octane? I'm waiting for data logging to work before I purchase mine! This is exciting.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
TrendyBull
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 - '04 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
If we have units in stock next week, sure. You might want to reserve one by emailing sales@vishnutuning.com. We could install it here at the office if you'd like.
much appreciated! emailing now
Appreciate 0