E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tune Allegiance

Closed Thread

07-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
BmwECY
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Tune Allegiance

I've been gone from this forum for a few years, but I was suprised to see the same tune allegiance when i got back. why do people care so much about what tune they currently have or why it's better than X or Y?

I feel like this platform, in particular, is very narcissistic and insecure. you won't find this BS on other platforms, including other bmw forums. do you really have so much insecurity that proclaiming your everlasting love for your tune makes you feel more secure/less inadequate?

discuss
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwECY View Post
I've been gone from this forum for a few years, but I was suprised to see the same tune allegiance when i got back. why do people care so much about what tune they currently have or why it's better than X or Y?

I feel like this platform, in particular, is very narcissistic and insecure. you won't find this BS on other platforms, including other bmw forums. do you really have so much insecurity that proclaiming your everlasting love for your tune makes you feel more secure/less inadequate?

discuss
Have you read your own posts over the past few days sucking off the open flash tablet? You are as guilty as anyone else who loves their tune.

Bottom line, 99% of the people think what they have is the best. Until you compare with something else you don't know any better.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

I wont argue theres alot of bullshit on E90post...but if you think thats unique to this group...lol.

Check out M3post some time. There are some folks with Herculean egos and imperial hubris.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Have you read your own posts over the past few days sucking off the open flash tablet? You are as guilty as anyone else who loves their tune.

Bottom line, 99% of the people think what they have is the best. Until you compare with something else you don't know any better.
i think conceptually, the tuning landscape has changed significantly in the past week. yes, i have an open source tablet. i also have a jb4, and i sold a cobb accessport, twice. i have a procede, and i've ran a flash tune from Eurocharged (they're local to me)

what i'm getting at is how defensive people get towards a new product. you could fall into that category, too
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
maxwell600
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i w/ Sport Pkg

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
I wont argue theres alot of bullshit on E90post...but if you think thats unique to this group...lol.

Check out M3post some time. There are some folks with Herculean egos and imperial hubris.
They need to try shrooms lol.
      07-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

I think a big part of the reason that everyone has the same tune is because they don't have a reason to switch. I have the JB4. I'm happy with it, customer service is good, I'm used to all the menus/controls/logs/etc. Why switch?
      07-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm not defensive at all just a bit curious about the numbers. However, I will be the first to admit that I love my Cobb tune and the PTF maps are a must have IMO. Not many cars out there trapping 120+ on stock turbos but PTF makes it happen.

With that said, if this proves to be a better TUNE than Cobb and not just a fancy piece of hardware I will gladly jump ship. The open flash definitely has my interest.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
zeel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW e92 335i

Garage List
I've tried all 3 major tunes without bias and ended up using the one(s) that my car likes most. lol
      07-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
feedmyfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 335

i have to chime in on this one LOL... its true that MOST people think what they have is the best. personally im not a fan of cookie cutter maps, i rather get my car on the dyno and make my own. this is why i switched to open flash. i previously has the AA flash and it is utter garbage, my boost would literally fluctuate 2lbs from 4500 up like a yoyo. if you dont believe me i have the dyno sheets to prove it. i have never seen anything like that ever.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedmyfast View Post
i have to chime in on this one LOL... its true that MOST people think what they have is the best. personally im not a fan of cookie cutter maps, i rather get my car on the dyno and make my own. this is why i switched to open flash. i previously has the AA flash and it is utter garbage, my boost would literally fluctuate 2lbs from 4500 up like a yoyo. if you dont believe me i have the dyno sheets to prove it. i have never seen anything like that ever.
i had a great "canned tune" from Eurocharged on my old 335i. it was suprisingly solid with no boost occilations and no timing corrections (when logged with my BT cable)

i ran COBB off-the-shelf maps and had horrible performance. my car was FBO (no meth), and I tried several maps. Stage 1, stage 1+, stage 2+, nothing seemed to work on my car. Eurocharged (based in Houston) had a great stage 2/3 map that i had no issues with whatsoever.

as far as piggy backs go, i can't really get past the jb4's direct copy-cat approach to marketing. the procede was the first to have dozens of features, that are now in the jb4. people that have been around long enough probably remember the jb3. you had to turn off the car, stomp the gas pedal repeatedly to change maps. you couldn't read/clear codes with the jb3. there were no in-dash boost/afr/etc gauges. you also couldn't do anything related to CAN-bus.

the procede that was around at the same time (rev. 2, v3 and v4) had all the aforementioned features. terry@bms just bought a procede, reverse engineered all the procede features, and called it a jb4. it's nuts if you don't know the history behind each tune. especially the "TERRY TUNER." lol if you ever get bored, just search "TERRY TUNER" on e90post and read the posts/threads from 2007-08
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
i had a great "canned tune" from Eurocharged on my old 335i. it was suprisingly solid with no boost occilations and no timing corrections (when logged with my BT cable)

i ran COBB off-the-shelf maps and had horrible performance. my car was FBO (no meth), and I tried several maps. Stage 1, stage 1+, stage 2+, nothing seemed to work on my car. Eurocharged (based in Houston) had a great stage 2/3 map that i had no issues with whatsoever.

as far as piggy backs go, i can't really get past the jb4's direct copy-cat approach to marketing. the procede was the first to have dozens of features, that are now in the jb4. people that have been around long enough probably remember the jb3. you had to turn off the car, stomp the gas pedal repeatedly to change maps. you couldn't read/clear codes with the jb3. there were no in-dash boost/afr/etc gauges. you also couldn't do anything related to CAN-bus.

the procede that was around at the same time (rev. 2, v3 and v4) had all the aforementioned features. terry@bms just bought a procede, reverse engineered all the procede features, and called it a jb4. it's nuts if you don't know the history behind each tune. especially the "TERRY TUNER." lol if you ever get bored, just search "TERRY TUNER" on e90post and read the posts/threads from 2007-08
Nice. I'm going to try the open flash OTS map on my Cobb next week to see how it compares to my PTF 93 tune.

Did you ever get a pro tune for your cobb or only run the OTS maps?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Nice. I'm going to try the open flash OTS map on my Cobb next week to see how it compares to my PTF 93 tune.

no, i sold my first accessport before ATR was released. then, after I picked up another accessport on a trade, after i had the poor performance, i decided to just try Eurocharged and sell my accessport. i know pro-tuning is key to getting better performance. i just didn't want to shell out another $500 on a tune that I spent $725 on, that was performing so poor. Eurocharged (in houston) has some pretty good tuning if you look at the Merc platforms. they dabble in lambo's and ferrari's, but their BMW tuning is a little lesser known, especially on e90post
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

One last point- if sticky's real open source project ever gets off the ground, sharing "maps" should be much easier and we all can benefit from the OF tablet innovations
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:

What I want to know is what parameters does the "open source" tablet have over ATR? Every time it got brought up in the thread no one answered and the post got deleted which was disappointing to say the least.

I've owned my car since 08 and ran just about every tune under the sun (JB+, JB3/4, Procede Rev1 and 2 and now Cobb). I never believed in piggybacks and if you look on any other platform, they are seen as a joke and the only true tunes are flash or standalone.

What's disappointing is that ATR never took off with this platform. It seems that most of the BMW N54 crowd just wants something plug and play and aren't willing to put in the time to either make a custom tune or spend the time logging to E tune. I can guarantee that majority of the "open source" users will never spend the time creating a tune and will rely heavily on OTS maps or other members custom tunes.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
What I want to know is what parameters does the "open source" tablet have over ATR? Every time it got brought up in the thread no one answered and the post got deleted which was disappointing to say the least.

I've owned my car since 08 and ran just about every tune under the sun (JB+, JB3/4, Procede Rev1 and 2 and now Cobb). I never believed in piggybacks and if you look on any other platform, they are seen as a joke and the only true tunes are flash or standalone.

What's disappointing is that ATR never took off with this platform. It seems that most of the BMW N54 crowd just wants something plug and play and aren't willing to put in the time to either make a custom tune or spend the time logging to E tune. I can guarantee that majority of the "open source" users will never spend the time creating a tune and will rely heavily on OTS maps or other members custom tunes.
I agree. A lot of people are talking about how great this is going to be when the community can make their own maps. You would have thought that ATR would have advanced the platform if this were true. In the end, there are only a handful of people on e90post who truly know what they are doing when it comes to tuning.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
This.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
For advanced users, there is a massive difference between tuning on ATR and the OpenFlash platform. Just because you don't know what it is yet, doesn't mean it isn't true. Give us a little time to make sure all the regular plug-in-and-go users are satisfied. After that things will be geared to more advanced users who aren't afraid of reading hex and modifying the .xfd file. To me, it's funny to hear that Openflash isn't targeted to tuners when in fact, it is. We just spent a lot of time making sure that non-tuners found it easy to use.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
For advanced users, there is a massive difference between tuning on ATR and the OpenFlash platform. Just because you don't know what it is yet, doesn't mean it isn't true. Give us a little time to make sure all the regular plug-in-and-go users are satisfied. After that things will be geared to more advanced users who aren't afraid of reading hex and modifying the .xfd file. To me, it's funny to hear that Openflash isn't targeted to tuners when in fact, it is. We just spent a lot of time making sure that non-tuners found it easy to use.

eta on datalogging? that is whats holding me back.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
boost junkie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Quote:
I feel like this platform, in particular, is very narcissistic and insecure. you won't find this BS on other platforms, including other bmw forums.
Are you new to internet forums.. or human nature for that matter? Browse any active car forum and you'll find plenty of camp wars.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
ZROFCKSGVN
Hi Hater
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Reckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post

true.

oh god dont get me started on m3 owners lol
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #22
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost junkie View Post
Are you new to internet forums.. or human nature for that matter? Browse any active car forum and you'll find plenty of camp wars.
Its not just cars, pick any product and the same thing applies. When doing your research you have to read between all the fanboy bullshit to get to the truth.