E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > OpenFlash Tablet Video Tutorial #1: How to Disable Diagnostic Codes

07-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Smile OpenFlash Tablet Video Tutorial #1: How to Disable Diagnostic Codes

Hi guys,
We are very happy that community as adopted OpenFlash Tablet so readily and that everyone has found it easy to use and install. So from this point onwards, we are going to start posting tech threads that will show users how to do more than just pick an OTS map and flash it to the DME

We are going to start off slowly with easy stuff first. In this case, we are going to show how to use Toggles to disable/enable diagnostic codes and functions.

Last edited by OpenFlash; 07-21-2013 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
JDrago1926
335i Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for the information and tutorial Shiv! Looking forward to more tutorials to come. You should show us how to tune :0
KW v2 Coilovers | M3 Front Control Arms
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
So who knows if you set the cat conversion bank1 and bank2 both to 00, if you can still get readiness?

Nice vid, looking forward to more installments.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
So who knows if you set the cat conversion bank1 and bank2 both to 00, if you can still get readiness?

I don't think it sets readiness. It just disables the fault code. It looks like there may be a way to set readiness by possibly adjusting the "sensitivity" of that particular diagnostic (notice that the value is a 56 and some euro ROMs I've seen have it set higher). But that's for others to play around with on their off-road-ues only race cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
pinto
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Is it possible to get rid off the 2D58 code i have sometimes with my flex fuel dme flash, like any other code, by using the actual map (flex) as standard map?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post

In NY for example, when you go for OBDII inspection, you can pass w/o cats if you have disabled the codes. This is because if the check engine light is not on, you are NOT required to have all readiness monitors passed.

Depending on the model year you can have one or two "not ready".

So - disable the cat codes which will prevent the CEL - and all other diagnostic tests will go ready - leaving one "not ready" - which doesn't fail your inspection...at least not in NY....

Edit - I am reading that "The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines allow up to two monitors to be in a “not ready”
state for model year 1996 through 2000 vehicles and
one monitor “not ready” for 2001 and newer model
year vehicles."

So - perhaps that is applicable to all ODB2 inspection states...

Last edited by mwahlert; 07-21-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Very helpful Shiv.......and I don't even have my tablet yet!

Once the changes are saved to the bin file, do you have to reflash the file to the DME?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
BmwECY
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma
Very helpful Shiv.......and I don't even have my tablet yet!

Once the changes are saved to the bin file, do you have to reflash the file to the DME?

Yes. First you upload the file to the tablet though.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
MAC335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jet Black E90 335i

Love the video tutorial idea! Very easy to follow and understand.

Could you explain the pros and cons of disabling the lean spool mode?

Also, what are the possible consequences of disabling misfire (detection?) on bank 1 and 2?

Thanks Shiv.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
tcw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Hi guys,
We are very happy that community as adopted OpenFlash Tablet so readily and that everyone has found it easy to use and install. So from this point onwards, we are going to start posting tech threads that will show users how to do more than just pick an OTS map and flash it to the DME

We are going to start off slowly with easy stuff first. In this case, we are going to show how to use Toggles to disable/enable diagnostic codes and functions.

Great video!

FWIW "Disable Lean Spool" and the other "Disable FUNCTIONS" should probably be read as "Lean Spool" and "FUNCTIONS". If read literally (as I thought when I first read them) setting "00" for "Disable Lean Spool" would disable "Disable Lean Spool", essentially enabling lean spool.

Is that clear? As the way it is written now it is a double negative.
2008 335I E92, AW, VFF700, 18" Forgestar F14, M3 front/side, M-tech rear, AMS IC, H&R Touring Cup Kit suspension, HID AE, ER Charge Pipe & Synapse BOV, CIC Retrofit, Quafie, DSS, Defiv Lockdown, SPEC 2+/Steel SMFW, Walbro 450
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcw View Post
Great video!

FWIW "Disable Lean Spool" and the other "Disable FUNCTIONS" should probably be read as "Lean Spool" and "FUNCTIONS". If read literally (as I thought when I first read them) setting "00" for "Disable Lean Spool" would disable "Disable Lean Spool", essentially enabling lean spool.

Lol I understand exactly what you meant.

Kind of like having a sexual harassment policy .......makes it sound like your are encouraging it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcw View Post
Great video!

You are very correct. My miserable grammar will be ammended soon
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

Bump this tech info up
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #14
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

False alarm. Disregard my post.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #15
Dcara
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5

Exhaust Fume Flap

Just wondering if anyone know what the disabling the exhaust fume flap does?
Is it basically the same as the golf tee mod when you set it to 0?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcara View Post
Just wondering if anyone know what the disabling the exhaust fume flap does?
Is it basically the same as the golf tee mod when you set it to 0?
Disabling this code through the tuning software means that you won't get a exhaust fume flap code if you disconnect the exhaust flapper solenoid connector.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Disabling this code through the tuning software means that you won't get a exhaust fume flap code if you disconnect the exhaust flapper solenoid connector.

Shiv
cool

i'm going to do that, too
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #18
Surferboy
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am just getting into the BMW world and have been getting acclimatized to this new Openflash. To date I have only run the stag0 file and have been very pleased with the results over stock considering I only have DCs, Berk street cat back, and 93 octane.

I plan to load up the stag1 and wanted to know if the "Speed Limiter (Master)" under Limits is related to the 150 mph gov these cars have? I will disable this while I am doing a few other things.

I plan to install my cp-e DPs and ETS 7" FMIC this coming weekend as well.

I really like everything you are doing Shiv with this product and commend you and everyone else involved with the speed and support having to be put forth. I know it will fruit itself nicely as we all get up to speed with this product.

I hope you guys also host these tutorials on your website directly as well since it can be tough to keep track of new threads created during the week here when other priorities govern me during the week and I play catch-up on the weekends. I would hate to miss updates to the product or valuable tutorials. Maybe a sticky to house them? One last note which I am sure is on the list but descriptions for each parameter eventually will also keep the many questions to a min..... Thanks again and I look forward to learning much more about this product into the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferboy View Post
I am just getting into the BMW world and have been getting acclimatized to this new Openflash. To date I have only run the stag0 file and have been very pleased with the results over stock considering I only have DCs, Berk street cat back, and 93 octane.

I plan to load up the stag1 and wanted to know if the "Speed Limiter (Master)" under Limits is related to the 150 mph gov these cars have? I will disable this while I am doing a few other things.

I plan to install my cp-e DPs and ETS 7" FMIC this coming weekend as well.

I really like everything you are doing Shiv with this product and commend you and everyone else involved with the speed and support having to be put forth. I know it will fruit itself nicely as we all get up to speed with this product.

I hope you guys also host these tutorials on your website directly as well since it can be tough to keep track of new threads created during the week here when other priorities govern me during the week and I play catch-up on the weekends. I would hate to miss updates to the product or valuable tutorials. Maybe a sticky to house them? One last note which I am sure is on the list but descriptions for each parameter eventually will also keep the many questions to a min..... Thanks again and I look forward to learning much more about this product into the future.
Hi,
Yes, if you disable the speed limiter (master) parameter, you will remove the top speed governor Thanks for the kind words! As soon as we caught up with rom support (working on aussie and euro roms now), I'll start posting up more tutorials. But right now there are people in the world with OpenFlash Tablets and no tunes! That's terrible
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

No cel here!!! Tech tutorial works flawlessly as described.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #21
pinto
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Hi,
Yes, if you disable the speed limiter (master) parameter, you will remove the top speed governor Thanks for the kind words! As soon as we caught up with rom support (working on aussie and euro roms now), I'll start posting up more tutorials. But right now there are people in the world with OpenFlash Tablets and no tunes! That's terrible
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #22
laazer
Rep
Drives: None

Hey Shiv,

Just got my OpenFlash tablet, excited to try it out as soon as I sort out my vanos issues

I have a few dashboard warning lights illuminated, and hopefully would like to disable them - will this be possible through disabling the respective diagnostic codes?

As I have aftermarket wheels/brakes,
I am looking at:
a) TPMS
b) Brake Pad Wear
c) Windshield Fluid Level

Thanks!
Appreciate 0