E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > White smoke from exhaust

07-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Chronumn
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Garage List
White smoke from exhaust

Hey everybody,

People who have driving behind me have being saying that there is white smoke coming from the back of my car.. does that mean the turbos are going? Currently I have a jb4, full turboback exhaust, intake for mods. Running e85 and 93 mix.

Instagram: Chirard
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
I don't think we have enough info to say for sure. have you been consuming oil? is your car reaching boost targets on your tune? is the WGDC edging higher? all of these could point to turbos on the outs. Mine are failing slowly and I have some bluish-white smoke at cold startup as well as a burning oil smell through the vents when I turn or come to a stop.
      07-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Chronumn
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
Well I took a trip from Miami to Orlando and I had to throw in a quart after I had just changed the oil about two weeks ago. As for boost I dont think so I'm only hitting 14psi but I think that has to do with my low wastegate idle position to get rid of the rattle.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
White smoke is normally water or coolant. In older cars that could be the sign of a blown head gasket or a cracked cylinder head. How is your coolant level?
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
demontwinz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

oil filter housing gasket, check coolant for chocolate colours, could also be turbos
      07-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Coolant has a VERY distinct smell, a syrupy sweet odor to it. Oil will generally smell like…well oil. That and combustion. It could be turbo seals; it could be a few other things. My seals are on the way out; car smokes a good amount…But still builds boost perfectly, no issues with high WGDC, WG rattle, etc. A lot of oil consumption with 5w-30, since switching to Motul 5W-40 it has dissipated a good deal. Car smokes the most when the motor is cold and is coming to a stop (under vacuum). However the actual cold start doesn’t really smoke much at all, 99% of the smoke shows up when coming to a stop.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
Coolant has a VERY distinct smell, a syrupy sweet odor to it. Oil will generally smell like…well oil. That and combustion. It could be turbo seals; it could be a few other things. My seals are on the way out; car smokes a good amount…But still builds boost perfectly, no issues with high WGDC, WG rattle, etc. A lot of oil consumption with 5w-30, since switching to Motul 5W-40 it has dissipated a good deal. Car smokes the most when the motor is cold and is coming to a stop (under vacuum). However the actual cold start doesn’t really smoke much at all, 99% of the smoke shows up when coming to a stop.
I'm exactly the same as you. Can runs fine but it smokes when decelerating in gear, especially when going down long hills. Once I accelerate it smokes a TON and then disappears again after a few seconds when driving normally.
      07-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
I'm exactly the same as you. Can runs fine but it smokes when decelerating in gear, especially when going down long hills. Once I accelerate it smokes a TON and then disappears again after a few seconds when driving normally.
Yup. Im pretty confident its turbo seals, but i wont know for sure until I get it on a lift. Very frustrating since they boost perfectly, dont rattle, etc. The smoking and oil loss is no good though.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Yup. Im pretty confident its turbo seals, but i wont know for sure until I get it on a lift. Very frustrating since they boost perfectly, dont rattle, etc. The smoking and oil loss is no good though.
Yeah mine is getting worse and worse. The last time I dropped by oil I only collected about 5L when it should be 6.75...

I recently topped up 0.5L because it was nearing low and I had to add in another 0.5L after only another 1000kms...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
This sounds like my situation too. Except that even with E40 PROtune my cars only making 17 lbs boost and wgdc was going too high when jake tried to push it.
      07-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Used to have this problem, but it turned out to be because I was running cobb stage 2+ aggressive with the BMS downpipe fix turned up. My mechanic turned it down to zero since I passed the emissions testing, and the problem was solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
Chronumn
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
This sounds like my situation too. Except that even with E40 PROtune my cars only making 17 lbs boost and wgdc was going too high when jake tried to push it.
okay so update, I turned up my wastegate idle position and I am now hitting about 17psi on e85 not sure about the white smoke as I try and focus on the road in front of me not behind me lol. I also just had a custom exhaust made and the guy painted it.. not sure if that could be the paint burning making the smoke lol?

Appreciate 0