E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Power steering pump or Active steering module issues....

07-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Power steering pump or Active steering module issues....

Has anyone had theirs fail or stop working before? If so, what are the symptoms of each?

I'm still trying to diagnose my steering noise/issue. Feels like there's excessive contact between the front tires and the road at certain turning point. But only occurs when turning from a stop or VERY slow roll. It makes a rubbing/grinding noise "gunk gunk gunk", and only happens when turning right.

I have a list of things that I think may be the culprit:

1. Power steering fluid
2. Power steering pump
3. Active steering module
4. Loose steering shaft (where the pinch clamp is on the bottom of the steering shaft)

Please help!!

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

I have a noise that sounds like when you turn the wheel on a garage floor that has a glossy surface (like one that's been epoxied/painted). Almost sounds like wheel hop if that makes any sense.

I haven't been able to find a solution for it. Some people have said the steering pump or the steering rack may be on the way out.

Another thing you may want to check is the power steering pulley and belt to make sure it's not making contact with the sub-frame. That was another common problem
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO3
I have a noise that sounds like when you turn the wheel on a garage floor that has a glossy surface (like one that's been epoxied/painted). Almost sounds like wheel hop if that makes any sense.

I haven't been able to find a solution for it. Some people have said the steering pump or the steering rack may be on the way out.

Another thing you may want to check is the power steering pulley and belt to make sure it's not making contact with the sub-frame. That was another common problem
Where's the power steering belt and pulley located at?

Also when I turn the steering wheel from crank to crank in park, there's a 'dead' spot that I can feel making the steering just a bit heavier and then all goes back to normal again....

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0