E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF Intercooler - Damaged during shipping, anyone else?

07-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Cripple
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

VRSF Intercooler - Damaged during shipping, anyone else?

Has anyone else experienced this damage to the VRSF intercooler? I am not too impressed, specially considering there was no protection in the box to protect any sort of bumps during shipping.

Not quite sure what to do, Mike @ N54 Tuning says I can straighten it out... but is it worth it? Why would this steel bend so easily?

Current: 2015 Cayman S on HRE P101

Last edited by Cripple; 07-26-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Its aluminum not steel, just email them, theyll take care of you. Shit happens in shipping, your thr first to have a problem like this out of hundreds
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

It's aluminum. And pm tiago he'll get you straight.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

You could bend it back. Why not email the manufacturer to let them straighten it out before putting them on blast. It's clear its damaged from shipment and not the fault of the manufacturing process. Even the largest intercooler companies still have trouble protecting FMIC from damage in shipment. It's not as easy as it may seem. Especially when shipping internationally.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

You couldn't of even given them a chance to make it right before creating a post on a public forum bashing their product when it was clearly damaged in shipping? I run a small business and have shipping problems a lot more than I think I should. Unfortunately all I can really do about it is to replace the items that were lost or damaged but that can't happen until the company is contacted and made aware of the problem. If they refuse to do anything about it that is a different matter but you didn't even give them a chance.
      07-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Well, it does appear that he did inquire from N54Tuning and they said he could bend it back. Which technically he could, but the proper choice would be for the vendor to file a claim with the shipper.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Looks like it was damaged in shipping. A simple e-mail to us would have resolved this much quicker than a public post

The part is made of aluminum, like every other intercooler made for an automotive platform. When mis-handled, it's capable of deforming.

In any case, we offer replacements in any situation where an item has been damaged in shipping although we need to be made aware of the issue first
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripple View Post
Has anyone else experienced this damage to the VRSF intercooler? I am not too impressed, specially considering there was not protection in the box to protect any sort of bumps during shipping.

Not quite sure what to do, Mike @ N54 Tuning says I can straighten it out... but is it worth it? Why would this steel bend so easily?

It doesn't look that bad at all, I would take a rubber mallet and just lightly hit on the pipe till it bends back, or hit the end with a rubber screw driver.

That amount of damage is minimal, but if you truly want another one vrsf will help you. You can even go to an exhaust shop and have them to it for probably $10. Or if you plan to pay someone to install it have them unbend it.

Its better than waiting another week or two.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

I think it's good to have posts like this. It shows how people pass shipping issues on to the vendor without warrant or cause and blindly pass blame to vendor QC.

It also shows how good VRSF is with regard to customer support, they will take care of an issue regardless...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

I specifically said it could be fixed or I would send you another one if you didnt want to fix it. I replied within 1-2 minutes of your email.

Not sure what else vrsf or myself can do for you. It's obviously damaged in shipping.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbunny View Post
You couldn't of even given them a chance to make it right before creating a post on a public forum bashing their product when it was clearly damaged in shipping? I run a small business and have shipping problems a lot more than I think I should. Unfortunately all I can really do about it is to replace the items that were lost or damaged but that can't happen until the company is contacted and made aware of the problem. If they refuse to do anything about it that is a different matter but you didn't even give them a chance.
No he did email me before making this post and I said I can replace it if he wanted and I CC'd Tiago on the email as well.. So both Tiago and I are very confused..

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Cripple
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I specifically said it could be fixed or I would send you another one if you didnt want to fix it. I replied within 1-2 minutes of your email.

Not sure what else vrsf or myself can do for you. It's obviously damaged in shipping.

Mike
Not putting any blame on you, I was mainly inquiring if anyone else had the same issue.

Current: 2015 Cayman S on HRE P101
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
No he did email me before making this post and I said I can replace it if he wanted and I CC'd Tiago on the email as well.. So both Tiago and I are very confused..

Mike
Dont take this thread the wrong way, but if you think about it this helps business. Yes, there was a shipping error but the fact that you e-mailed, responded and offered a replacement says ALOT.

That is something i wish more vendors would do, but in the end the ones that are for customer service will be around a long time.

Even-though I've not purchased anything from you, it'll definitely make me look at your site the next time i plan to buy anymore performance parts. At the time of my ordered I orderd my vrsf directly from VR-Racing.

As for the intercooler, that thing is big and kinda heavy. You really can only ship it with so much protection. Mine had alot of foam pieces and a small portion of bubble wrap that only wrapped around the main area with the holes. It could have uses more and some on the pipes as well. Maybe you guys could switch to the big sized bubble wrap and add it to the pipes as well to help minimize damage like the op got. I would also add $3-5 to shipping for that, but anyone would be happy with a piece of mind of the extra protection.

I had a friend that worked for ups and he seen so many big packages fall 10feet or so from one conveyor belt to the next. I can only imagine the damage to packages from a drop like that.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
I think it's good to have posts like this. It shows how people pass shipping issues on to the vendor without warrant or cause and blindly pass blame to vendor QC.

It also shows how good VRSF is with regard to customer support, they will take care of an issue regardless...
Exactly and a good company will just say our bad this is how we can fix it and then they will follow up with the shipper if they need too. A bad company will tell you to go deal with the shipper yourself and that its not their fault its the shippers, even though it is the shippers fault most of the time.

Last edited by deathbunny; 07-26-2013 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

I had this same problem with my ETS intercooler when I recieved it; I thought about sending it back but I ended putting a pipe that was a bit smaller than the hole in circumference down in the opening and was able to bend it back using leverage so that you couldn't even notice anything....just put a pipe down in there and you'll see what i'm talking about, pretty easy...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #16
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Better packaging from the manufacture could have prevented it from happening to begin with, so I feel you on that.

Also, if the vendor you bought it from already offered to replace it, there's no reason to put them on blast.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #17
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
My AMS was packed crazy good. Was blown away by it and still have the box and formed packing with my shitty little OEM cooler in the garage.

Either way...no point in postinf this thread unless you mentioned you got prompt email back from the vendor and were just looking for advice to try to fix or ship back.

VRSF has amazing customer service as well as N54 tuning. Props!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripple View Post
Has anyone else experienced this damage to the VRSF intercooler? I am not too impressed, specially considering there was no protection in the box to protect any sort of bumps during shipping.

If they offered to replace it, why on earth would you create this and make them look bad? They clearly are doing everything they can to make you happy.

Man, I don't get some people....even if your just asking a "question", your making them look bad, and now after mike and tiago have said they offered to send out a new one, you don't look good yourself man.
      07-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #19
V8bait
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

It's not the first damaged in shipping and definitely not the last. Says nothing about the vendor (other than his wanting to help the customer) and much about the state of shipping companies.

Mine came in perfect. Wait no, there was some broken popcorn and one of the blue silicone caps fell off. Worthless. Vrsf should up prices substantially so that they can ship with a blow molded plastic protector. Wait, I must be drunk...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #20
drGK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335 xi

This company has one of the best prices for parts. And whenever something goes wrong they get ripped to bits on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #21
Be Awesome 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans 335i M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
You could bend it back. Why not email the manufacturer to let them straighten it out before putting them on blast. It's clear its damaged from shipment and not the fault of the manufacturing process. Even the largest intercooler companies still have trouble protecting FMIC from damage in shipment. It's not as easy as it may seem. Especially when shipping internationally.
Exactly What He Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Looks like it was damaged in shipping. A simple e-mail to us would have resolved this much quicker than a public post

The part is made of aluminum, like every other intercooler made for an automotive platform. When mis-handled, it's capable of deforming.

In any case, we offer replacements in any situation where an item has been damaged in shipping although we need to be made aware of the issue first
Outstanding Customer Service!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drGK View Post
This company has one of the best prices for parts. And whenever something goes wrong they get ripped to bits on this forum.
Agreed!
      07-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #22
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
Mine looked exactly like that, I didn't even consider it to be disformed..just installed it...

My charge pipe however was noticeably bent but I contacted VRSF who replied and offered me a very fair discount which I accepted. Excellent customer service in my opinion. We got the pipe as good as straight (or circular) and just installed it.
Appreciate 0