2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums CANADA BMW Canada protection products

08-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

BMW Canada protection products

Does anyone know the details of what the retailers provide for the "Anti-Theft Protection"? Anyone bought this? Is this a waste of money compare to other anti-theft options?

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/insights/cor...rotection.html
      08-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

its a bundled admin item for Quinn group. That's their microdot service. This is not too different in concept from the window etching / Globali.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I hear money grab, won't consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
its a bundled admin item for Quinn group. That's their microdot service. This is not too different in concept from the window etching / Globali.
      10-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orich View Post
I hear money grab, won't consider it.
My dealer says they won't sell a car without. I think I'll just ask them to increase the discount on the car to compensate.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

In Ontario, this upsell is illegal and if the purchaser does not want this, the dealer cannot force it. If they do, OMVIC can penalize the dealer in question and both fine/license suspension could happen.

I feel sorry for you guys out in other provinces that dealer can force it on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
My dealer says they won't sell a car without. I think I'll just ask them to increase the discount on the car to compensate.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
In Ontario, this upsell is illegal and if the purchaser does not want this, the dealer cannot force it. If they do, OMVIC can penalize the dealer in question and both fine/license suspension could happen.

I feel sorry for you guys out in other provinces that dealer can force it on you.
The dealers are no different than the wireless carriers and legislation doesn't really fix the problem. The CRTC recently passed legislation limiting wireless contracts to 2 years. People are smiling, but the result? Phone subsidies dropped and wireless contracts got more expensive for everyone and Rogers is making the same (or more). I guarantee you the dealers in Ontario have found a way to get the $200.00 from you. It just isn't a security charge.
Appreciate 0