E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Cheap GPS-based Lap Timing

10-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Cheap GPS-based Lap Timing

I'd like to time my laps. I know the three basic solutions: stopwatch, beacon based systems (like Hot Lap), and GPS based systems.

I don't feel like spending more than a few hundred. That eliminates all the dedicated GPS systems I know. I could get Hot Lap, but I feel like I'm buying "old" technology".

I've seen a program for windows-mobile based phones, but I have a blackberry.

So, I started wondering if the Garmin Forerunner 205 would work. It would cost $180 and I could also use it for exercising. It keeps track of laps. But....it is really aimed at runners and cyclists. I'm wondering if the much greater speeds of car lapping would confuse it.

Has anyone tried this or something similar?

By the way....I can't believe no one has a $200 or less unit yet dedicated to track use. I bet one will be out within the next year or so. Most of us amateurs don't need all the features in a true racer's GPS-based system.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

My wife's Forerunner 305 doesn't get confused at highway speeds, but I haven't taken it to the track.

Main concern would be update frequency.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
gloster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Dad View Post
My wife's Forerunner 305 doesn't get confused at highway speeds, but I haven't taken it to the track.

Main concern would be update frequency.

Dan
That is my exact concern. I'm hopeful since I assume it has to have very good sampling rates and relative position accuracy in order to give meaningful results to runners.

If you ever have a chance to test your wife's Forerunner more, I'd love to hear the results. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post
That is my exact concern. I'm hopeful since I assume it has to have very good sampling rates and relative position accuracy in order to give meaningful results to runners.

If you ever have a chance to test your wife's Forerunner more, I'd love to hear the results. Thanks.
I'll take it out when I get a chance. I'm not holding my breath though as runners go a lot slower than I do!

Cheers,
Dan
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
gloster
Captain
Rep

I sent Garmin support a question asking if it would work. They gave it a thumbs up! I'd still like to see your results, but I'm thinking of pulling the trigger before my next track day in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
Steage
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

If you want a dedicated trackday/performance measuring GPS system check out Racelogic's Drift/Performance Box.

I did some evaluations of it this summer, a very neat bit of kit. The DriftBox has a interesting drift angle measuring feature, but if you don't want it the Performance Box will do everything else. Its the same technology that magazines and manufacturers use when they test vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #7
gloster
Captain
Rep

I'm trying to cheap out. The Performance Box is $499. You can get a Forerunner 205 for about $175.

Of course, I could use a stopwatch for $20. Just wish I was better at remembering to hit the lap button!!!
Appreciate 0