E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Turning off RDS makes radio go silent randomly

12-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
danteef
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Turning off RDS makes radio go silent randomly

Has anyone else noticed this? I turned off my RDS because I was sick of looking at stations named "the" and "#1" and so forth. After it was off, I encountered random silence of the radio for about 5-10 seconds. After the silence, the radio came back on and everything was fine. This happened every now and then for a week. Anyways, I got sick of that and turned RDS back on and it hasn't happened for a month. Last week, I turned RDS back off to make sure it still happened and sure enough it did. Taking the car in next week. Guys at BMW have never heard of such a thing.

325i/IDrive/Sat Radio
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
legalantz
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Will try this

I had my drl's turned off and the reprogramming apparently gave my car RDS capabilities (didn't have it before). after the reprogramming my radio becomes silent every now and then for approximately 10 seconds. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out and they simply reprogrammed the radio. the problem is still occurring. After reading this post - I will try to turn on my RDS and hope that it solves the problem. It has for you (at least for the last month). Thanks in advance if this solves the silence. I am tired of the dealer holding on to my car for days at a time.
      01-05-2006, 02:58 AM   #3
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Thereīs a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for that problem. Itīs a known software glitch that can be corrected. Check and print the TSB

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B652605g.htm

and go to your dealer with it in hand (most dealers are too incompetent to find the relevant information)
      01-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
when you store radio stations make sure RDS is off. that will fix it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
legalantz
Private
Rep

confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds82
when you store radio stations make sure RDS is off. that will fix it.
Danteff says that turning RDS off causes the problem. I also had my RDS off and my radio would go silent at times. I have turned it on, but have not had the opportunity to drive enough to see if it has fixed the problem. Why do you say RDS must be off? thanks.
      01-05-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
legalantz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
Thereīs a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for that problem. Itīs a known software glitch that can be corrected. Check and print the TSB

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B652605g.htm

and go to your dealer with it in hand (most dealers are too incompetent to find the relevant information)
If what danteef suggests does not work, I will bring this bulletin to the dealer. unfortunately that will mean I will be w/o my car again for a while. you are right, they are incompetent at times.