E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > How to use Bluetooth

05-27-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: beautiful

How to use Bluetooth

I want to know how to use Bluetooth, I don't find any option of Bluetooth in the radio, but my radio has the phone icon.

Do I need to press at the same time different options to activate it?

Please place step by step to configure and use Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq
I want to know how to use Bluetooth, I don't find any option of Bluetooth in the radio, but my radio has the phone icon.

Do I need to press at the same time different options to activate it?

Please place step by step to configure and use Bluetooth.
Uhhhh, isn't this what your owner's manual is for?
      05-27-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don't find any info in the manual

In what page I found info about bluetooth in my owners manual?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
Doctor Diesel
Rep
Drives: 530dse and X3 2.5

try the index...if not therem perhaps you didn;t order it
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
matrix
Private
Rep

Quote:
In what page I found info about bluetooth in my owners manual?
It has to be somewhere in the manual. If all else fails, why don't you call your dealer and have the sales rep. assist you in setting it up. When I picked up my car today, my CA spent about an hour SITTING in the car with me going though everything including setting up Bluetooth (via the Idrive/navi screen) and making test calls. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2005, 10:47 PM   #6
Heliskyr
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Disclaimer-- I don't have my 330 yet, so I haven't gone through this in my own car.

That being said, I did try to pair my phone with a 330 at the dealer with my client advisor, and there was a different booklet relating to the bluetooth functionality that the CA got out of the glove box of the car. So, the bluetooth info might not appear in the owner's manual. I'd look for a separate booklet in the pile of papers in the glove box.

On a side note, we never did get the phone to pair up because you need to have a bluetooth ID number for the car and the phone, and the CA didn't know where to find that number for the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2005, 11:33 PM   #7
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don't have Idrive, my car has the BMW Profesional Stereo.

Please someone that has use bluetooth post steps to use it.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2005, 01:26 AM   #8
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
evoq, please also make sure you have the BMW assist option on your car. Just because you have the phone button on your radio, doesn't mean it has bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2005, 02:26 AM   #9
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 - 330i Navi, Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliskyr

On a side note, we never did get the phone to pair up because you need to have a bluetooth ID number for the car and the phone, and the CA didn't know where to find that number for the car.
Actually, you didn't have to find the pass code for pairing. You can use any number for the pass code.
I selected a set of number from my cell phone first and used that for the car.
      05-28-2005, 07:27 AM   #10
1stbimmer2
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mini Cooper

pairing PDA with bluetooth

I have a Dell Axim x50v PocketPC PDA. It has bluetooth as well. Would it be possible to pair the PDA with the bluetooth on the 3 series? I was thinking of using the PDA for GPS navigation and pair it with the car to output audio from the PDA.
*Why not get the 3 series with navigation? $2000 vs. $400 for PDA + $300 for GPS software. Also the PDA solution is easier to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2005, 10:28 AM   #11
mwie
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stbimmer
Would it be possible to pair the PDA with the bluetooth on the 3 series?
No, it would not. The car doesn't have the nescessary software to deal with PDAs... It's only build to phone with.

mwie
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2005, 11:28 AM   #12
Gareth SA
Rep
Drives: Demonstrator E90's

Reply to Bluetooth and PDA's

The I Mate Jam (phone/PDA ) pairs up with the E90 bluetooth without the phonebook transfer , I haven't yet tested the other phone / PDA's

I will try the HP Ipaq phone /PDA this week.

Perhaps BMW should explore this link between the PDA Navigation and the car display and I drive
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2005, 11:55 AM   #13
Gareth SA
Rep

Bluetooth Steps

Insert the key into the dash

Press the menu button on the head unit and select the telephone icon with the selector (the button that looks like the volume control, but on the opposite side)

(Make sure you have taken bluetooth as an option as many owners think they have it because the proffesional radio unit comes automatically with a telephone icon on the far right hand side)

press it in to select

The button under the LCD display are prompts and relate to each word displayed above that button.

Press the BT button and then start a search for new devices on your cellphone

When the phone finds the car ( body number will come up on phone ) choose your own 4 digit passkey and enter it in the phone , the car will then recognise the phone and will ask for the same passkey you chose for the cellphone

Once entered "BT Paired " should come up on the display and there will be a loud beep

Turn the car off and start the car ( I do this to end the search process)

The phone will then be paired up

If you pair additional phones the car will recognise the last phone to enter the car.

In terms of normal phone functions , follow the prompts under the LCD display (eg a-z = phonebook , missed calls etc and use the selector button to navigate ( by turning left to right and selecting by pushing in )

The phone button on the steeringwheel will automatically dial the displayed contact and hang-up if pressed again

the arrows on the right of the steering can also be used to navigate through the phonebook
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Gareth SA do you work for Auto Atlantic ?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2005, 12:53 AM   #15
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep

If my radio has the phone icon in the profesional radio, and the phone option don't appear in the radio when I press menu, what do I need to have?

The dealer needs to install a bluetooth hardware, or they only need to install a software in the car?

If they need to install a bluetooth hardware, is that easy to do it and fast? How much does it cost?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2005, 08:23 AM   #16
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Quote:
If my radio has the phone icon in the profesional radio, and the phone option don't appear in the radio when I press menu, what do I need to have?

The dealer needs to install a bluetooth hardware, or they only need to install a software in the car?

If they need to install a bluetooth hardware, is that easy to do it and fast? How much does it cost?
I would suggest this:

1. Do you have BMW Assist with the Bluetooth Option or the Premium Package? In the US you need one of these to get the Bluetooth Phone Option. BT is not basic to the car.

2. Make sure that you have a Bluetooth phone that is known to be compatible with BMW cars. Phone manufacturers took liberties with the standard to the detriment of the consumer and car maufacturers. If there is not a list here, go to e60.net. Not all Bluetooth phones work with the car. Some work partially. Some will not work at all. I have a Motorola RAZR V3 and it works great with my 04 545. Apparently the BMW phone system was designed by Motorola and their phones work well.

3. Take your "approved" BMW phone to the dealer and ask the service staff to pair it with your car.

I was the first in the US to have a Bluetooth Retrofit on my e60. Bluetooth is an outstanding, under-recognized option. It is wonderful.

Last edited by pharding; 05-29-2005 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #17
Gareth SA
Rep

reply to E90 fleet

Yes

Where are you based?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2005, 04:38 PM   #18
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth SA
Yes

Where are you based?
Im in JHB

The dealer I generally use is your Sister dealership Club Motors Randburg
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2005, 12:32 AM   #19
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

Once you get your phone paired, try this link for a user's guide; it should help, although it may not be totally up to date. It works with the BT module I installed. [URL=http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW-03_00-Voice-Control-en.pdf]

Hold down the phone button on the steering wheel; if you hear a beep, then you may be able to ask for help by saying "help" or "guide" or something.

There should be a card with a 4 digit pass key code with all your manuals; I would think that you need the correct code; that's part of the security. I can't believe BT isn't standard, at least with Premium Pkg. My 04 cabrio actually had a BT module and antenna installed from the factory without the dealer even knowing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #20
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Guys I paired my Sone Ericsson T616 but I am not seeing any kind of phonebook transfer even though my SIM card is full of numbers from my phonebook.

Has anybody experienced this on this phone or a similar one? No transfer of phonebook info but phone and handsfree working perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE: After looking around on the electronics/bluetooth section of the bimmerfest forum, it appears that this is just a problem of the Sony Ericsson phone being horribly slow. Not only is the phone's reponsiveness to button-presses in the 5-10 second range when paired, the initial phonebook transfer of 250 contacts will take up to two hours straight.

I guess this won't be happening until my drive up to Seattle then. For now I can just dial manually.

Last edited by Armen52; 06-30-2005 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2005, 06:54 PM   #21
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
RTFM. You should have a separate book for the telephone. If you don't have BMW Assist or Premium Package - you don't have bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #22
joserita
xtremejo
South Africa
Rep
Drives: e90 320d 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth SA View Post
Insert the key into the dash

Press the menu button on the head unit and select the telephone icon with the selector (the button that looks like the volume control, but on the opposite side)

(Make sure you have taken bluetooth as an option as many owners think they have it because the proffesional radio unit comes automatically with a telephone icon on the far right hand side)

press it in to select

The button under the LCD display are prompts and relate to each word displayed above that button.

Press the BT button and then start a search for new devices on your cellphone

When the phone finds the car ( body number will come up on phone ) choose your own 4 digit passkey and enter it in the phone , the car will then recognise the phone and will ask for the same passkey you chose for the cellphone

Once entered "BT Paired " should come up on the display and there will be a loud beep

Turn the car off and start the car ( I do this to end the search process)

The phone will then be paired up

If you pair additional phones the car will recognise the last phone to enter the car.

In terms of normal phone functions , follow the prompts under the LCD display (eg a-z = phonebook , missed calls etc and use the selector button to navigate ( by turning left to right and selecting by pushing in )

The phone button on the steeringwheel will automatically dial the displayed contact and hang-up if pressed again

the arrows on the right of the steering can also be used to navigate through the phonebook
Hi Gareth, we just recently purchased an E90 2008 model. It has a MULF (not an ULF) system in the boot and the professional radio but we still can't seem to get the bluetooth to work... am I being dof??? Joanne
Appreciate 0