E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Problem?

12-12-2005, 05:13 PM   #1
Bullitt 2496
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i Coupe

Bluetooth Problem?

I have a new Samsung A900 Sprint phone w/ bluetooth. It pairs fine to my I-drive 325i and will take and recieve calls. However, what seems to be at random times, it will act like its receiving a call, but will not display caller ID and I'm not actually getting a call. It gives me the option of accepting or denying the "call", but if I do either, it just hangs there and does nothing. It goes away after 5 "rings" but then immediately returns and will continue to do so until I disable and reenable bluetooth under the phone settings on the IDrive...

Anyone else having this problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
jays1000
Rep
Drives: E90 AW 325

yes. I had the same problem today. Just paired the a900 to the 325 and in a short while phone keep ringing...but did not stop...have you had better results to report?

Also this a900 freezes up on me...I am sure they are working on a software update to the phone...and hope that it helps BT as well
      12-17-2005, 08:09 AM   #3
Bullitt 2496
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

no news yet... I also tried to do the software update option on the phone menu and it gives me an error saying it can't prepare my vision service... who knows.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228 Black

Sounds like something in the phone -- any chance your phone is setup for text messaging or something like that?

A good place to find out how to fix a cell phone problem is the website www.howardforums.com

see the Samsung phone section...
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40
      12-19-2005, 08:36 PM   #5
bjk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Interesting coincidence. . . I did a google search to find some help and found this thread.

I just bought a sprint samsung A900 today and I'm having the same problem with the random ringing in my 330. Making out-going calls works fine, but I'm having difficulties answering in-coming calls. Another strange thing is upon hanging up a call from the car (pushing the telephone button on the steering wheel) the car audio goes to dial tone, but the phone continues the call separately.

I tend to place more blame on the phone, because I had a sprint LG PM-325 that worked fine except for not importing the phone book. I suppose that could point to an incompatibility between the car and a newer software version in the A900?

I wish I could offer some input on a fix, but at this point I can't. I am, however, just as interested as you are in some sort of solution (other than going back to my old phone).

If I learn anything I'll post it. . .
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 11:13 PM   #6
Bullitt 2496
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

sounds like a plan... i have the exact same problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2005, 01:45 PM   #7
bjk
Registered
Rep

My car was given a software reprogramming and the bluetooth operation with the A900 has improved, however it is not yet 100%. I still have to start and end calls from the phone, but the random ringing has stopped.

The reprogramming was due to a recall and just happened to include a bluetooth update. This confirms my earlier suspicion that it was a software difference between the phone and car, I think. Hopefully a bluetooth-specific update is in the works. I've got a query in with my dealership so hopefully they'll have an answer (and a solution) soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
zim07
Rep
Drives: 2006 330 XI

I firmware update was released today for the A900. It is now updated to Version YL10. You should be able to download it now. It fixes alot of problems with the phone, though not sure about the BT issues. Let us know if there is any improvement after download it.

I might be getting the phone when i pickup my new car in 10 days
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:36 PM   #9
bjk
Registered
Rep

That was a step backwards! I upgraded the firmware in the phone and was initially encouraged, because when I paired the phone to the car it correctly imported the device name (in my second iteration following the car's software upgrade it imported what appeared to be a serial number). But now every time either the car or phone is turned off, I am required to manually pair the devices. Adding insult to injury, the random ringing is back.

The only encouraging news to this point is both BMW and Samsung have come out with software/firmware updates, so evidently they're trying to fix things. I just hope they eventually get it right. . .
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #10
bjk
Registered
Rep

I completed another firmware update on my phone three days ago (I wanted to give it some time to make sure the problems didn't resurface before posting the results) and it seems to have completely solved the random ringing thing. The phone and car link properly now without prompting as well.

I still have to begin and end calls directly from the phone (phone button on steering wheel doesn't do what it's supposed to) and the phone book still doesn't import, but with these two exceptions it's working well. It's not perfect but it's definitely very functional and better than holding the phone to your ear.

I'll continue to be optimistic and hope that there will be more improvements in the future with continued firmware/software updates in the car and phone. . .
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 11:50 AM   #11
ambishop
Rep
Drives: bmw

Here is the process to Pair the Samsung A900 with the 387 or 522 ULF module in the E46. not sure if the E90 is the same, but worth a shot The 552 old version does not seem to work this way.

First update the software in the phone using the menu item update software

Set the ULF in pairing mode. for details see www.bimmernav.com/btfunction.html
In the a900 goto contacts
In each individual contact, choose the command to send contact via Bluetooth
After every contact is manually sent, the ULF module will display them on your instrument cluster, navigation screen or radio

I know this sucks, but SPRINT/SAMSUNG failed to put an option for send ALL contacts within the phone. Hopefully in the next software release they will get it fixed

Martin
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #12
e90kid
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 325i, Jaguar s-type R

Garage List
2008 328xi  [0.00]
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
2004 Jaguar s-type R  [0.00]
for some very stupid reson i didn't get the blue tooth connection when i ordered. i went to my dealer to see if it could be put in and i was told no. is there anything i could do?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #13
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228 Black

do some searches and you will see people have discussed the add-on kits (something the dealer would generally not be supporting)