BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

12-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Driving impressions

Drove one of the demo cars floating around. Was at Classic BMW today (thanks Milaad!) and will be BMW of Dallas tomorrow.

If you have a chance, it's a very interesting driving experience. Power is very linear, the car is extremely quiet, and barring unexpected things like red lights, you can drive it with just the gas pedal. When you lift off, the car slows and even stops, but it was easy to get used to and intuitive.

Details are great, the roof is exposed carbon fiber, something I hadn't caught in photos. The interior is very well done with smart storage space and great use of space. The rear seats are passable, probably akin to E36 sedan space, not huge, but fine for four adults to make short trips in (which makes sense because an i3 isn't going very far).

It's an interesting experience, I'm more interested in it having now driven it. The limited range and whacky REX are a personal concern, but I may have been swayed towards trying one out.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
cblandin
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, Volt, XC60

What? These are in Dallas? I figured demos wouldn't show up here for months. Of course the icepocalypse has arrived tonight so test drives tomorrow are unlikely. Did you just drop by and ask to test drive it?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

My sales guy called me a few days before. I got an email from both dealers too that they'd be at each for a day. If you can get by to see it today, it's pretty cool in person.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
cblandin
Private
Rep

Very unfortunate there was ZERO publicity on the i3 being in the Dallas area and (apparently) just ONE car rotating through the 4 dealers here (looks like they each got it for a whopping one day). Doubly unfortunate that it came during our bi-annual ice storm when road conditions were such that most people weren't out. I know Autobahn got it on Monday and apparently BMW of Arlington had it yesterday. I'm off the rest of the week, but I think it has left the area. Nice job BMW!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

There were three in circulation. Oddly, I saw one (#34, I drove 35) on Sunday heading back to BMW Of Dallas. Seemed to be doing fine in the ice. I got an email from both Moritz (where I bought my M Coupe a dozen years ago) and from BMW of Dallas, where we got our X1 last year. I got a call from Classic where our sales guy is now. Heck, I even got an email from Crevier where we bought our 135i when we lived out there. Sounds like your dealer network doesn't like you.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
cblandin
Private
Rep

thats because I never buy 'em new Red! Heck, I called Moritz today and they weren't even sure they had it or not...the guy finally checked and confirmed they did not. I had signed up for the test drives, info, etc. and hoped I would have been contacted. Conversely, I got an e-mail from Tesla yesterday, and I am now signed up for a Model S test drive on the 19th.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblandin View Post
thats because I never buy 'em new Red! Heck, I called Moritz today and they weren't even sure they had it or not...the guy finally checked and confirmed they did not. I had signed up for the test drives, info, etc. and hoped I would have been contacted. Conversely, I got an e-mail from Tesla yesterday, and I am now signed up for a Model S test drive on the 19th.
Sounds like you came out ahead! I've only driven a first gen Roadster, with the stupid two speed transmission. It was still a blast, but I'd love to drive a Model S. So you can test drive a Tesla, you just can't buy it? I understand that we Texans have to order our cars from California and they deliver it to you, even though we have "dealers" here now. For how many Model S's I see, that's impressive.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
cblandin
Private
Rep

pm sent...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
I received an email a few days ago from the local Charlotte, NC dealers for the same test drive. I will be going later today to drive the car and I am excited to see what the car is all about.
      12-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaF30 View Post
I received an email a few days ago from the local Charlotte, NC dealers for the same test drive. I will be going later today to drive the car and I am excited to see what the car is all about.
Cool, enjoy it. Remember to notice just how little you use the brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
I'm having a tough time telling from pictures and reviews: is there no sunroof or glass roof? I thought the initial plans were sunroof or an electrochromic option. Can you folks give some insight?
      12-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

The ones making the rounds have two glass panels above the front seats, which I believe is standard in the US. I'm 6'2" and had tons of headroom, more than our X1, by a good margin.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Thanks, Red. It's going to be a few years off, but I'm almost 6'2" as well but I also enjoy some sunlight, so it's always a dicey situation. My 1M is a dungeon but the vert....well, that's obvious.

What are your thoughts on rear seat room for folks our height?

Thanks!
      12-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post
Thanks, Red. It's going to be a few years off, but I'm almost 6'2" as well but I also enjoy some sunlight, so it's always a dicey situation. My 1M is a dungeon but the vert....well, that's obvious.

What are your thoughts on rear seat room for folks our height?

Thanks!
It's not terribly comfortable, but I fit fine, it's just a bit upright. I don't think you can adjust the seatback angle like you can in our X1. Of course for 40 miles in any direction, it's more than adequate.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
BMWMico
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e

We're having a test-drive event next weekend in San Francisco, 1.17-1.19. PM me for an invitation.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #16
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

I had an opportunity (after twisting some arms) to try to sit in the i3 today. While I like the concept, as I was afraid, I just don't fit into it, at least getting in and out. Planting my butt while facing out, then bending and twisting as much as I could, I hit my head, maybe as much as 3-4" from the top of my head on the roof. FWIW, I do not bend well, and more flexible people may never notice, but of the BMW models, the only two I get in and out of comfortably are the 5GT and the 7-series (understandable, since they're on the same platforms).

So, very disappointing. Your results may differ. I'm not all that tall, but combine that with long torso and fused, stiff parts of my back, and it's a no-go. I really wanted to save my GT from the mostly short trips to the store...longer ones happen, but the majority are short. Being able to use electricity and not have oil, exhaust, or warming up issues just may not be in my near options.

FWIW, the door opening on the Ford Focus is fine...I can get into and out of that, as well as the Nissan Leaf, but neither is as square in the back, so carrying my recumbent trike to the bike trail would either require taking it apart, or carrying it on a carrier behind. I'd like to avoid that, as having it inside if you wish to stop going or coming means it is much more secure than strapped to the carrier behind.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #17
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Driving the i3 yesterday, it was all BMW, however the style is not all BMW.
Appreciate 0