M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

12-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Well, test drove the 2013 Panamera GTS

As the title states, drove the new Porsche Panamera GTS.

Unreal car!

First thing I noticed upon start up, is the amazing sound it produces.

The interior, while it has a ton of buttons, becomes all very easy to understand, and very easy to access while on the go. Other than that, great materials, great fit and finish. It has that feeling of a 100K + car, just when you sit inside the car.

What really interested me, was the air suspension ride, and how it lowered the ride and works with the car to keep it stable, and great fuel economy, and comfort. Seriously, if there is a GTS near you, go and try the suspension, it has been wonderfully engineered and makes the ride very comfortable.

Driving the car in comfort mode, its really just like any other sleeper car. Its quiet, nice and comfy. Now in sport and sport plus, the sport exhausts are turned on, and the ride transforms into this controllable missile. Not as harsh as the M5 ride, and even though the M5 is soft compared to some other cars I drive, the Panamera allows you to feel comfortable and feel the road at the same time.

Is it fast? Yeah, and the Porsche Panamera offers exactly what the M5 does not offer. A sense of control over the car. Cruising in the M5, you can accelerate super fast, and at moments scary, but you never feel like YOU are in total control. Many who rode passenger in the M5, understand that thrust you feel when the car is WOT. In the Panamera, you dont get that thrust, mainly because its not a Twin turbo, has 430hp, but it does 0-60 around 3.9 to 4.1. Still very fast. Lets not mention the intoxicating sound it produces on the downshifts even in auto mode.

What I noticed the most, is how this car is so loyal to your commands. Driving the M5, accelerating and switching lanes, I had the Traction control keep the tail end from spinning out many times. Its fun, you know its safe, and the car straightness out immediately.... but its knowing that the car sort of does as it pleases on it own, just to accomplish what you tell it to do, is not the most pleasant feeling. The GTS in this category is a true winner.

I am not for one second bashing on the M5, or saying the GTS is a clear better car. Its just another car on the market that is a serious competitor to the M5. While it lacks in acceleration (even though it has enough acceleration), it excels in handling, and provides a higher fun factor. I do wish to add a GTS to my stable someday, in addition to the M5.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I don't think it's a serious competitor for the power reasons you mentioned. I looked at the Panamera extensively this year but the GTS did not spark my desire. The real competition is the turbo.

It was a close call for me. The Panamera Turbo is a fantastic car. However at the end of the day, I liked that characteristic you call scary. It gives the M Car a razor sharp edge. A constant awareness of that is what keeps me safe and forces me to be a better driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
Road racin
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 M5 alpine white

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2012 Jeep JKU  [0.00]
The turbo is a better comparison on power, but price point favors the GTS on a comparison...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

GTS' are promising cars indeed. AWD and Porsche chassis engineering go a long way. Shame that they are crazy expensive. Wouldn't knock on someone for buying one, but I can't turn down high HP and RWD. I'll save my P-Car cherry for a 911 or Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Funny you didn't mention the looks of the Panny
      12-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
FLOMACKS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM5
True. That thing is hideous.
2015 S63AMG Sedan
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM5 View Post
Well, to each his own.

Honestly though, the panamera design does not bother me. Once you start to appreciate how it was built and why, you tend to understand its looks and the thinking process behind it. Plus in real life they look way better than in the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
GTS' are promising cars indeed. AWD and Porsche chassis engineering go a long way. Shame that they are crazy expensive. Wouldn't knock on someone for buying one, but I can't turn down high HP and RWD. I'll save my P-Car cherry for a 911 or Cayman.

Couldn't agree with you more. The first p car should be a 911, to understand the rear engine location reasoning and to just enjoy it. Mine still surprises me every time I drive it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21 View Post
Well, to each his own.

Honestly though, the panamera design does not bother me. Once you start to appreciate how it was built and why, you tend to understand its looks and the thinking process behind it. Plus in real life they look way better than in the pictures.
The facelift has improved the exterior looks (still not to my liking though), however, I prefer the panamera interior to F10, even with all the buttons.

IMO, perceived quality & engineering prowess, would be Porsche 1, BMW 0.

I also have a desire to 'pop the Porsche cherry'; can't explain, just something telling me it needs to be done (perhaps strange, but they appeal to me more that Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
The ride and material is top notch, but not a M5 competitor as I see it. However, the car in the back is one of the ugliest cars I have seen. I would have considered adding one to the stable for my other half as she would enjoy it, but she to thinks it's ugly. I tried to talk myself into, but can't get past the rear end.

In would say the quality surpasses anything BMW has to offer, and Merc too. I will stick with the 911's true Porsche heritage 50 years running. M5 is still a keeper until the next GEN, but if BMW screws this one up I may have to totally abandon the product.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I don't think it's a serious competitor for the power reasons you mentioned. I looked at the Panamera extensively this year but the GTS did not spark my desire. The real competition is the turbo.

It was a close call for me. The Panamera Turbo is a fantastic car. However at the end of the day, I liked that characteristic you call scary. It gives the M Car a razor sharp edge. A constant awareness of that is what keeps me safe and forces me to be a better driver.
I don't agree that the Turbo is the competitor. However, if we do make that comparison, the Turbo is a faster and much more engaging car than the M5. Was with my buddy who had a new Panamera press car yesterday while I was in the M6. The OP makes a very valid point about that scary feeling of the M5/6. I said it to my wife when I returned yesterday "your car is scary". I meant that after seeing how that Panamera Turbo gripped, accelerated and handled curves with ease (in the wet mind you) while I was holding on for dear life accentuated the fear factor (and not good fear) of the M. There was one point where I simply refused to try to run with him. It was a joke.

This is the thing about the Porsche lineup. They DO respond to you more in a way that you are in command rather than holding on for the ride. Dare I say that you even feel more connected in the Cayenne Turbo? Yes, I would say that.

The Panamera GTS is a heck of a great car and I would most definitely call it an M5 competitor. People tend to say, when defending the M5 against comments about the 991 I regards to things like handling comparisons "well, it does MORE well. I need room and doors,etc." Here you have it in a more connected feeling car.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Dynamically, it may be fantastic. It's amazingly unattractive though.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
The OP makes a very valid point about that scary feeling of the M5/6. I said it to my wife when I returned yesterday "your car is scary". I meant that after seeing how that Panamera Turbo gripped, accelerated and handled curves with ease (in the wet mind you) while I was holding on for dear life accentuated the fear factor (and not good fear) of the M.
I see that you have conceded the M6 to the "Chief of Staff". There are so many desirable automobiles in the market that it always boils down to personal preference what your chosen carriage is. Left to me, I would join a car club and be able to experience different cars every week while having an M5 as a daily driver. That is classic "having your cake and eating it"!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't agree that the Turbo is the competitor. However, if we do make that comparison, the Turbo is a faster and much more engaging car than the M5. Was with my buddy who had a new Panamera press car yesterday while I was in the M6. The OP makes a very valid point about that scary feeling of the M5/6. I said it to my wife when I returned yesterday "your car is scary". I meant that after seeing how that Panamera Turbo gripped, accelerated and handled curves with ease (in the wet mind you) while I was holding on for dear life accentuated the fear factor (and not good fear) of the M. There was one point where I simply refused to try to run with him. It was a joke.

This is the thing about the Porsche lineup. They DO respond to you more in a way that you are in command rather than holding on for the ride. Dare I say that you even feel more connected in the Cayenne Turbo? Yes, I would say that.

The Panamera GTS is a heck of a great car and I would most definitely call it an M5 competitor. People tend to say, when defending the M5 against comments about the 991 I regards to things like handling comparisons "well, it does MORE well. I need room and doors,etc." Here you have it in a more connected feeling car.
Ha the Cheif Of Staff .........like that! The GTS is a cool ass performer, man but that ass end I can't take it. Hands down if it was not butt ugly I would swap the M5, but no way bro. I do agree when you push the M5 it gets a little scary, but hell it's a M5 "power" it's funny how everyone wants more while not understanding it's not usable. It's fun to discuss power issues which is a high class problem to have.

I was reading a article on the 991 Turbo, and some guy was saying 0 to 60 in 2.7 is not fast enough. Some people have no idea how fast that really is. The launch control is in that car will give you whip lash, and it never heats up and has no limit to the launches.

After 7 BMW's, and 1 Porsche I have never been so impressed with a car maker and customer service. Hell Cold was a Porsche hater now he's the spokes person for Porsche(:
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I see that you have conceded the M6 to the "Chief of Staff". There are so many desirable automobiles in the market that it always boils down to personal preference what your chosen carriage is. Left to me, I would join a car club and be able to experience different cars every week while having an M5 as a daily driver. That is classic "having your cake and eating it"!!!!!
Haha! I conceded that LONG ago.

They key element to "her" car is that she got it like this "Hey Kim, come pick up your new M6." She says "huh?". I said "just come get it. I drove it and love it."-lol! Incidentally, this was while returning a 997.1 Turbo cab with that miserable tiptronic to the BMW dealer. Jumped in the M6 and it was all she wrote. Now Kim did see the car in the showroom a month earlier and loved it so it's not like I forced a car she didn't wan ton her-lol. Trust me, she would have said "nope". She wouldn't trade the M6 for my 991 or the Cali. Likes to brag about having the fastest car in the garage. That's about to change....stay tuned.

Big Daddy rides again!-hahahahahahahaha!

Last edited by ColdList; 12-29-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Ha the Cheif Of Staff .........like that! The GTS is a cool ass performer, man but that ass end I can't take it. Hands down if it was not butt ugly I would swap the M5, but no way bro. I do agree when you push the M5 it gets a little scary, but hell it's a M5 "power" it's funny how everyone wants more while not understanding it's not usable. It's fun to discuss power issues which is a high class problem to have.

I was reading a article on the 991 Turbo, and some guy was saying 0 to 60 in 2.7 is not fast enough. Some people have no idea how fast that really is. The launch control is in that car will give you whip lash, and it never heats up and has no limit to the launches.

After 7 BMW's, and 1 Porsche I have never been so impressed with a car maker and customer service. Hell Cold was a Porsche hater now he's the spokes person for Porsche(:
Save it punk. YOU'RE ugly. Not sure how that girl puts up with you. Speaking of which, I haven't actually seen her. Are you sure all those flights aren't to CA to see your sweetie Vic?

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Save it punk. YOU'RE ugly. Not sure how that girl puts up with you. Speaking of which, I haven't actually seen her. Are you sure all those flights aren't to CA to see your sweetie Vic?
Nope in DFW now, and only fly over LA going to HNL(: not nice calling names now I guess I can't drive the gt3????
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

IMO, a Porsche is mighty machine for sure (P > M) but somehow most of their designs are a big fail (except for the 911/991). Cayenne, Panny:

Maybe because they recycle too many classic 911 curves into their designs? Anyway, the Panny shooting brake concept looks seriously hot:
Attached Images

Last edited by EdM5; 12-29-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Nope in DFW now, and only fly over LA going to HNL(: not nice calling names now I guess I can't drive the gt3????
Haha..of course you can...that is IF the GT3 makes it here....you know where I am going with this...think 50 yr old.-lol!

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
IMO, a Porsche is mighty machine for sure (P > M) but somehow most of their designs are a big fail (except for the 911/991). Cayenne, Panny:

Maybe because they recycle too many classic 911 curves into their designs? Anyway, the Panny shooting brake concept looks seriously hot:
Now, that IS something. I wonder if testosterone and bragging rights is not involved, would people really care about 0-60 times, etc? How many times do you actually gun the car that much to achieve the times published by the manufacturers? Many people cannot actually handle the performance of these high-spec machines. Most areas have speed limits policed vigorously so really high speeds achieved on track (and not all of us track)!!!

Rant over.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #21
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Haha..of course you can...that is IF the GT3 makes it here....you know where I am going with this...think 50 yr old.-lol!
No GT3?????
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #22
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Many people cannot actually handle the performance of these high-spec machines.
Agreed.