E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > No power! battery issue?

01-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
Yoresh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328I

No power! battery issue?

I own 2007 328i and it has been running fine for a while. But most recently it has developed a problem with what I think might be the battery. The car has no power at all, wouldn't even start. The dealership bought it form gave me a good warranty on the car. So when I had the car towed over, they ran some tests and changed out the battery. I picked it up and drove it home and everything was fine. Not 2 hours later, I come back to the same issue. No power at all. No lights on dash, nor would it start. I know I didn't leave the lights on our anything that would have drained the battery. So I have two questions. Does this occur often with this model? And if so, what is it and how can I fix it? Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

In addition to checking and changing, if required, the battery, they should do a power drain test and a charging (alternator/regulator) test. Most (all) modern cars have all sorts of electronics in them. If something is not turning off when it should, many of them could drain the battery way too quickly. Also, if the alternator is not up to snuff or the associated voltage regulator, or the belt that drives it, you can end up with a dead battery.

So, some more diagnostics, and maybe a new widget or two may be required to solve the problem.

This can happen with any vehicle, but with the plethora of electronics in the more modern cars, BMW is no exception, it can happen more and faster than those of old.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Yoresh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
In addition to checking and changing, if required, the battery, they should do a power drain test and a charging (alternator/regulator) test. Most (all) modern cars have all sorts of electronics in them. If something is not turning off when it should, many of them could drain the battery way too quickly. Also, if the alternator is not up to snuff or the associated voltage regulator, or the belt that drives it, you can end up with a dead battery.

So, some more diagnostics, and maybe a new widget or two may be required to solve the problem.

This can happen with any vehicle, but with the plethora of electronics in the more modern cars, BMW is no exception, it can happen more and faster than those of old.
The car is going to the dealership today, I'll have them check those things. I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Yoresh
United_States
Rep

I've herd some talk about the IBS being a issue. Does anyone think it would bes good idea to disconnect it and see if that does anything?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Happened to me twise. Dealer said i prob been given or received power not ftom the right terminals and melted some harness.That was actually true. Back then i wasn't as knowledgeable as I'm now so idk details of what exactly melted. That was the main reason i returned that far 07 328i and got a 06 330i.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoresh View Post
I've herd some talk about the IBS being a issue. Does anyone think it would bes good idea to disconnect it and see if that does anything?
This wouldn't be the case to having no power in your car. look up on bmw website to see if the recall for the battery cable is available for your car. If it hasn't already been performed.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
sebaNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i GC

was a recall for the fusebox and the +Cable (the one thats going from the battery in the trunk to the fusebox on the glovebox) those after a while get melt.

check that, it happen to me and after i fix that, problem solved
Appreciate 0