E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Auto Transmission failure warning

01-17-2014, 05:08 AM   #1
texter
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: G21 330i

Auto Transmission failure warning

Driving around the CBD this afternoon (45deg) the transmission warning came on - advising to drive carefully to nearest service centre. The car only used 1st and 2nd gears around town with a very rough shift. It also was very slow to engage reverse. After I stopped and returned 10mins later the car started and all the problems resolved.

Should I be worried? Does it need to get looked at now that it works ok?

Is it the high temp we're experiencing?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

I think the 320i uses auto uses a version of the GM 6l45r found in the x25, x30i etc engined cars.

It is a piece of garbage. I think you will find that the heat exchanger failed to let off enough heat to allow the ATF operate properly and the trans has entered a failsafe.

ATF burns and like most oils will lose its ability to lubricate and allow the trans to shift properly.

The Gl45r uses Dexron IV so it should be a lot cheaper to service. All you would need is the filter unit, O ring and about ~7ISH Litres of DX4 and it should be fine.
Appreciate 0