E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine malfunction reduced power

01-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
sjones88
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan M

Engine malfunction reduced power

Hi everyone, first post here...need some advice.

After driving a Mazda 3 for the last 3 years I decided to sell it and I bought a 2011 335i sedan M package w/ xdrive. Space grey on saddle brown. Car had 74k on it.

I purchased it from a private dealer in my area (Toronto) and had a pre purchase inspection done at a local BMW dealership. Also had them check the computer to see if anything was erased. Total spent $340 to check it. Result: aside from rear tires, car was mint.

Anyways.. I enjoyed it not even for two full days... And the engine malfunction light came on and went into reduced power mode which I see you guys call "limp" mode. So I went to my private dealer freaking out (Sunday)(yesterday) and he plugged into it and it said cam shaft position sensor. Have no idea what that means but I haven't found much information on it. So I'm thinking it's something to do with HPFP, or turbo related. Anyways the car is still under warranty with BMW.

Can anyone shed some light on engine malfunctions, and camshaft positions sensors?

Last edited by sjones88; 01-20-2014 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Might be same as Eccentric Shaft Sensor or VANOS System (you have two of those I believe) but I don't have 335 so I can't be 100% sure.

I believe there are DIY fixes for both of those on the forums here.
      01-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
sjones88
Canada
Rep

Vanos sytem

So… BMW called me back, said it's the vanos system.. they ordered the part and I get the car back tomorrow. Is this a common problem? And… once fixed, is it likely to happen again?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

DO It Man

Can you do you own work?

Vanos Solenoids.....not as scary as it sound.
2 of them.
1 intake and 1 Exhaust

It is very easy, if you can do this, then you can change your own Spark Plugs and Coils. Go for it. tools will be a 1 time cost for life.

DN
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
sjones88
Canada
Rep

Thanks for your response, it's under warranty so I left it with BMW.. is it a reoccurring problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #6
nis270r
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones88 View Post
So… BMW called me back, said it's the vanos system.. they ordered the part and I get the car back tomorrow. Is this a common problem? And… once fixed, is it likely to happen again?
haha I have the same problem as you do, though mine has only 35k miles, just bought it last month right before X'mas. Last saturday pulling out from a parking lot, the car idles funny and stalled, shut the engine off and start it back up again. Car is in limp mode and drove home, the next day, SES light is still on but power is back, no warning message on the navi screen, 2 days later, SES light is gone.

Took the car in stealership, the SA told me it's somewhat a common problem but BMW never issued a recall on it because they blame the gas in US comparing to the higher octane gas in Europe. Anyhow it's being replaced under warranty. I would say do your oil change often and try not to follow that ridiculous 15k miles oil change interval BMW recommends if you planning to keep the car for a long time. And there's plenty of DIY on here on how to replace the solenoids, how to clean them and what not, if you're willing to get dirty. Good Luck and Have Fun!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
UMASS83
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011BMW335IS

Engine Malfunction! Reduced Power.

My 2011 335IS coded with the "Engine Malfunction! Reduced Power" light, and went into limp mode as others have described. Once BMW dealer ran a computerized vehicle diagnosis test, it was discovered to be a cracked charge air line to the throttle. Once air line was replaced, the car was back to normal.
Appreciate 0