F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > My Imperial Blue GT has landed!
Extreme Powerhouse

02-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

My Imperial Blue GT has landed!

So after the agonising wait we are all very familiar with, I was very happy to pick up my 320i xDrive Luxury GT on Thursday evening.

Pics to follow, but here are my first impressions:

THE GOOD
I am really pleased with my exterior and interior colour choices. The Imperial Blue looks quite flat, almost non-metallic in a lot of pictures, but it has a lot more depth in the metal. Same goes for the saddle brown interior. It is a shade darker in reality than in most of the shots I've seen. I also went for the anthracite headliner as was a bit worried about having three different colours in the interior. It does make for a dark cabin, especially as I also have the sun protection glass, but I personally quite like this. Overall with the GT being such a big unit, for my taste this combo suits the car really well.

I've done mostly town driving since collecting, so don't have anything like a complete impression in terms of dynamics yet. However early signs are that it is set up brilliantly for someone who likes a balance of comfort and control. The steering is lighter and less communicative than my old 120d, but it is direct and progressive. The ride is good on my 18" run flats. Don't think I've been around any corners fast enough yet to judge any body roll. I've also not been past about 60 yet so will reserve judgment on refinement, but again it seems very good so far.

It goes without saying the interior space is just awesome. With two car seats in the back I'd venture that we could squeeze someone between them on a short journey. The legroom back there is vast, even with my seat set up as I like it, and I am 6'2".

My two big fears were the standard stereo and the halogen lights. I have to say both are not as bad as I feared. The stereo does not have the detail or soundstage of the Meridian system in our Evoque. However it is notch better than the stereo in our old 55 plate 120d. A relief. The halogens are a bit depressing when you are switching over from HIDs, But I've read lots of forum comments that they are so poor as to be downright dangerous. This is an exaggeration. In time I may still end up getting some better bulbs and an aftermarket stereo, but I don't feel like I need to do it next week.

THE BAD
I guess this is predictable, but so far the 320i feels a bit underpowered. To be fair it's early days, and I'm keeping the revs low during the run in period. Nevertheless, I am missing the diesel torque from my 1 series, and even our Evoque feels like it picks up more urgently, despite being a slower car on paper. Just to add insult to injury, I'm only getting about 20mpg! Still, it's only got 60 miles on the clock.

I also put it into Eco-Pro for a laugh earlier today. Ugh, what a horrible experience. I think I might have been flashed by a mobility scooter. Won't be doing that again in a hurry.

But overall, I am delighted. It's a real class act, and I'm sure once it is run in it will be quick enough and reasonably economical too. I am finding any excuse to take it out for a spin.

Right, let's find out how to upload some pics...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I've heard a thread is worthless without pics, so....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Love the color combination. Wish I could have gotten something like that on my M Sport, particularly the brown upholstery with the black carpet.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Love the color combination. Wish I could have gotten something like that on my M Sport, particularly the brown upholstery with the black carpet.
Hey ipilcher. Yeah, I love the colour combo, it's as good as I hoped it would be.

Did yours arrive in one piece in the end? I saw a couple of threads where your boat seemed to be doing circles in the Atlantic? Post some pics if you have it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Wish the coasting and more aggressive stop start could be enabled with the sport steering and throttle response. Audi does this configurable chassis stuff better
      02-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
ipilcher
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
Hey ipilcher. Yeah, I love the colour combo, it's as good as I hoped it would be.

Did yours arrive in one piece in the end? I saw a couple of threads where your boat seemed to be doing circles in the Atlantic? Post some pics if you have it.
It took it about 3 weeks for the Bishu Highway to go from Southampton to Brunswick, but it finally made it around 10 days ago. No idea where the car is now, and I don't really have the time or energy to keep bugging my CA about it
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
It took it about 3 weeks for the Bishu Highway to go from Southampton to Brunswick, but it finally made it around 10 days ago. No idea where the car is now, and I don't really have the time or energy to keep bugging my CA about it
Not good. If it's any consolation, the whole hideous, grinding business of waiting disappears pretty instantaneously when you finally see it through the showroom window of your dealer
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #8
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Looks great, nice color combo

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
ipilcher
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not good. If it's any consolation, the whole hideous, grinding business of waiting disappears pretty instantaneously when you finally see it through the showroom window of your dealer
Funny timing. My CA just called to tell me that it just arrived at the dealership.

I'll probably pick it up on Friday, due to travel.

Anyone here in the DFW area and want a slightly damaged, mahogany and leaded glass 8-foot door? Gotta get the darn thing out of the garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 03:08 AM   #10
bimmer man
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 745le xdrive 2020, i3 2020

Garage List
2020 745le  [0.00]
2012 640i  [10.00]
congrats. very nice. like the color.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

I guess the 20i would feel a bit underpowered , that was my concern as well so i got the 28i. I am not sure how both engines compare at low RPMs though, they might be pretty close. I know mine feels a bit heavy from 0, but it just flies once you get past 2.5K, i obviously blame the turbo for the different throttle response ..

If you drive it harder though, it should not be "slow" at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 05:26 AM   #12
AndyMD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Golf R 2020

Very nice colour!

Currently learnt a lesson
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #13
Thlian
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive AT Touring M-Sport

Did you order this car? If so, why the H*** would you order without xenon?
      02-07-2014, 02:50 AM   #14
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlian View Post
Did you order this car? If so, why the H*** would you order without xenon?
Hey, thanks for your sensitively-worded enquiry!
Because they are 700 quid, I had a budget, and they weren't top of my priority list.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 03:44 AM   #15
pedroF31
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d Luxury

That's cheered me up thanks - lovely looking car. My Imperial blue F31 is down at the Dealers so I am going to look at it for the first time tomorrow.

My other car is a FL2 and, like your Evoque I guess, is tuned for high torque at low revs for towing etc. If my F31 325d is as fast off the line as my FL2 I will be more than happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 05:05 AM   #16
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Glad to be of service. Your new arrival sounds fantastic. I was quite close to getting an f31, it's such a great looking car. I've seen a couple of f30s in IB but don't think I've ever seen an F31 in that colour. Together with the twin turbo that is going to be one rare car!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #17
Thlian
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Hey, thanks for your sensitively-worded enquiry!
Because they are 700 quid, I had a budget, and they weren't top of my priority list.
Ur welcome, pardon the french! But I have to scratch my head a bit when you over there talk about cutting out minor things too $700.

But I don`t how much your total was so.....
      02-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #18
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Ur welcome, pardon the french! But I have to scratch my head a bit when you over there talk about cutting out minor things too $700.

I assume his from UK so it's £ not $.

But I've seen it many times here, for some reason lots of BMW buyers in the UK don't buy the xenon headlights.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #19
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

No problem. Don't get me wrong, we've owned 2 cars with Xenons and of course they are much better. But I had a budget to stick to, and there were a few things more important to me: auto box, pro media, sun protection glass (I have two small children), speed limit info (I have 6 points on my licence) , and so on. If I could have afforded to add two more things, it would have been xenons and heated seats. But, I couldn't, so I didn't. And, I am relieved that the halogens are not as bad as I expected.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #20
Thlian
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
No problem. Don't get me wrong, we've owned 2 cars with Xenons and of course they are much better. But I had a budget to stick to, and there were a few things more important to me: auto box, pro media, sun protection glass (I have two small children), speed limit info (I have 6 points on my licence) , and so on. If I could have afforded to add two more things, it would have been xenons and heated seats. But, I couldn't, so I didn't. And, I am relieved that the halogens are not as bad as I expected.
Not even heated seats? I guess that`s a scandinavian phenomena, a part of standard equipment.

My personal opinion is that halogens ruins the front of the BMW without the angel eyes.
      02-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #21
BrasWien
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive GT Modern Lines

Mine will come with halogens as well. At first I ordered without xenons, later on I wanted to change the order, but it was too late. Then I realized that, as I seldom drive long distances at night, the only reason I wanted the xenons was the beauty of the angel eyes.

Here in Austria xenons are too expensive in my opinion: EUR 1.084 (approx. 1.480 USD).

Most 3 Series I see here have xenons, but many of them have just a poor, standard configuration. My priority were nice features such as panorama sunroof, xdrive, professional GPS, hi-fi soundsystem, rear camera etc... And as I got pretty everything I wished within my budget, I have to "ruin the front of the car" and be happy inside!

Will get mine tomorrow. Yahoo!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #22
BrasWien
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive GT Modern Lines

Bye the way, Mcoops, your car is really beautiful, nice colours. Congrats!
Appreciate 0