E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Retrofitting bluetooth? Experts chime in!

02-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Turbopat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

Retrofitting bluetooth? Experts chime in!

I have PRE LCI e92 335i. With Nav and voice activation. I do NOT have bluetooth. What would I need to purchase to retrofit bluetooth?

I figured since I have the microphone already I wouldn't need that much more. I know it has to do with MULF (or whatever its called) unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
+1

Dealer quoted me $2500 or so a couple years back.

I winced.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

All you need to do is search. There are at least 4 excellent DYI threads with parts list in here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopat View Post
I have PRE LCI e92 335i. With Nav and voice activation. I do NOT have bluetooth. What would I need to purchase to retrofit bluetooth?

I figured since I have the microphone already I wouldn't need that much more. I know it has to do with MULF (or whatever its called) unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 02:51 AM   #4
Turbopat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
+1

Dealer quoted me $2500 or so a couple years back.

I winced.
I did with the other member that commented below you did (searched) and I figured it to cost between $600-$1000. Its difficult to put a exact price because in these DIYs every person had a different car with different options which makes the price differ depending on what they need.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 05:10 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopat View Post
I did with the other member that commented below you did (searched) and I figured it to cost between $600-$1000. Its difficult to put a exact price because in these DIYs every person had a different car with different options which makes the price differ depending on what they need.
Does your car is equipped with the center console USB (6FL)? If so then your car already have a MULF. Look for the DIY threads that code the MULF and rewire the microphone.

If there is no MULF in your car (no center console MULF) then look for threads installing/coding the MULF/microphone and the whole wiring harness.

Contact forum vendor BimmerTech if there is no MULF in your car and you want to get everything needed in one place (PnP parts and coding).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #6
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

if you do now know your options, simply provide latest 7 digits of your VIN and qualified people can check your options from BMW database
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
All you need to do is search. There are at least 4 excellent DYI threads with parts list in here...
Honestly, I've read all the threads, and I'm more confused now than I was before.

OP, this thread has a lot of answers, but you'll need a decoder ring.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...etooth&page=24

Here's another:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122545

I have 6FL and NAV, and a mic (voice commands work fine). What I can't figure out, is what I need next. Do I just get re-coded, and I'm done?

Last edited by AWD Addict; 02-12-2014 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you need to check where is wired your mic and rewire it from headunit to module in luggage comp., add bluetooth antenna and coaxial cable to module in luggage comp and code new option
module is
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
you need to check where is wired your mic and rewire it from headunit to module in luggage comp., add bluetooth antenna and coaxial cable to module in luggage comp and code new option
module is

I'm sorry, that's a totally unhelpful post. I'm not surprised. Despite trillions of posts on this, it's still incredibly vague and confusing. Someone who knows what's what needs to map this out intelligently.

1) Have 6FL and NAV
You'll need coding (info), and potentially a mic rewiring. Check (here) to see if you need to wire the mic. If so, here's where to buy it and how to do it. (link)

2) 6FL, no NAV

You'll need coding (info), mic rewiring, and probably MULF/antenna (etc). Check here ot see if you need MULF/antenna. If so, buy (here), and instructions for install (here).

3) No 6FL, No NAV:
You'll need coding (info), mic rewiring, and all the hardware. Here's the full DIY for that.

If you're after 2008, such and such instructions change.

Right now, we have 100 pages of unintelligible jargon. For a forum that is typically very well arranged on matters like this, for some reason, this topic is all written in greek.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
I'm sorry, that's a totally unhelpful post. I'm not surprised. Despite trillions of posts on this, it's still incredibly vague and confusing. Someone who knows what's what needs to map this out intelligently.

1) Have 6FL and NAV
You'll need coding (info), and potentially a mic rewiring. Check (here) to see if you need to wire the mic. If so, here's where to buy it and how to do it. (link)

2) 6FL, no NAV

You'll need coding (info), mic rewiring, and probably MULF/antenna (etc). Check here ot see if you need MULF/antenna. If so, buy (here), and instructions for install (here).

3) No 6FL, No NAV:
You'll need coding (info), mic rewiring, and all the hardware. Here's the full DIY for that.

Right now, we have 100 pages of unintelligible jargon. For a forum that is typically very well arranged on matters like this, for some reason, this topic is all written in greek.
PM me last 7 digits of vin and I will check it for you.

If you have 6FL and your car is 2008 onward, you will have MULF2 high in the boot.
Chances are that your mic is already wired to MULF2 high and you just need coding.

So start with coding.

After successful coding, once you have activated the telephone, if you do not get the voice, in that case you will need to rewire the Mic from nav to MULF2 high.
      02-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
PM me last 7 digits of vin and I will check it for you.

If you have 6FL and your car is 2008 onward, you will have MULF2 high in the boot.
Chances are that your mic is already wired to MULF2 high and you just need coding.

So start with coding.

After successful coding, once you have activated the telephone, if you do not get the voice, in that case you will need to rewire the Mic from nav to MULF2 high.
Thanks much. That's the best I've been able to glean from the various threads on the topic. Appreciate the comment.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 06:26 AM   #12
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

I thought USA didn't get MULF2 HI ? Its a European system (maybe avail in Canada)

I thought USA used TCU

And latterly Combox it the new best way to retrofit in all regions.

as others said...

lift up and take out the boot (trunk) floor trim, at the back on the right side (nearest the seat looking towards the front of the car) you may see a module, check out the part number and look for Bluetooth symbol. If there get the car software updated (coded) to enable BT

Then when it doesn't work add the microphone and or swap wires around in the glovebox and connect up a BMW BT antenna (its about $25) using SMB or Fakra connectors and 50 ohm coax. It can sit in the boot with the module you don't need to run a cable to the glove box.

If you have 6FL with the MULF2 HI unit but no wires for BT coz some lunatic at the factory had brain fade - Hard to believe but this is how to DIY, otherwise its a weeks special order for the original loom at circa $400 dollars and half the car stripped to fit it all (potential time saving tips under video)

Basically run mic wire (connectors for the multiplugs are in available from dealers) from the ULF in the boot run the cable along the left sill (not sure which side when you have a car with steering wheel on wrong side) up past the A pillar airbag, you can get the cable to the FDZ (interior light) without any agro or disturbing the headlining to connect to the mic. Use all three pins unlike the earlier cars mic, where they didn't connect up the shield (third pin).

Remember on a saloon there is no need to pull so much of the car apart, just pop off the sill trims and thread the wires round, you only need one TORX key to slip off the airbag trim on the A pillar... If you can't get it past the rear seat and or need to play with fibre optic connection remember if u have split fold rear seats half the work can be avoided (as the left side bolster just rips off from the top towards the front of the car)

If you want to work out how to do it all from scratch, I found this the most helpful guide

http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=35618

-Bluetooth antenna [p/n 84506928461]
-Microphone [p/n 84316938762]
-Multiplug pins [p/n 61130005197]

mic + to pin 1
mic - to pin 2
shield to pin 19

Last edited by BOTUS; 02-15-2014 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
I thought USA didn't get MULF2 HI ? Its a European system (maybe avail in Canada)

I thought USA used TCU

And latterly Combox it the new best way to retrofit in all regions.

mic + to pin 1
mic - to pin 2
shield to pin 19

You cannot have 6FL without MULF2 high if the car has CCC.
Pre-combox, MULF2 high is the only way for 6FL.

Also note that OP has voice commands, so mic is there.

OP, you need to take out the socket from mulf2 high and check if mic wiring is there (mentioned above). If they are there, then all you need is BT antenna and coding.

GL.
      02-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
Turbopat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

1) Have 6FL and NAV

2) 6FL, no NAV

3) No 6FL, No NAV:

I have No 6FL, and NAV. I will also send the other member my last 6 digits of my vin.

Appreciate all the feedback already!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #15
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I have voice commands. Doesn't that mean the mic is already there?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #16
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Quote:
I have voice commands. Doesn't that mean the mic is already there?
yes, but its not connected to a Bluetooth device...

buy the mulf for 100 to 150 on ebay

do the wires yourself for 40

and get an expert to code it for what ever they charge...

many aftermarket guys will fit a (later) combox with wiring and coding for 400 quid, which I'd guess with the fact everything in life is far cheaper in USA will be about $500
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #17
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
I'd guess with the fact everything in life is far cheaper in USA will be about $500
Even the girls?!
Appreciate 0