E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Valve colver leak or something lease?

02-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
prepster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Valve colver leak or something lease?

Hi everyone, Im still a noob when it comes to bmw engines, so I was hoping if some one can confirm of my situation which I think is a valve cover leak. I recently started observing smoke and burnt oil smell coming from my engine, so today i removed the engine plastic cover and found oil in-between the lobes of the valve cover. There was a good amount too, but then again my car has been smelling like burnt oil for sometime. Any help would greatly be appreciated. thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

YES

Most likely a valve cover leak. If you pull the coils -- you will most likely find that they have oil soaked tips.
My car looked like this and I replaced it myself. Used OEM Gasket and HondaBOND sealant in the leak prone areas. I would suggest having it replaced by an indy along with : Oil filter housing gaskets if you haven't already done so. Look in coolant reservoir and see it oil is in coolant (mine was).
Plastic VCover is prone to crack and is a pain to remove. It will get worse so you will need to get this done - soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
prepster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
Most likely a valve cover leak. If you pull the coils -- you will most likely find that they have oil soaked tips.
My car looked like this and I replaced it myself. Used OEM Gasket and HondaBOND sealant in the leak prone areas. I would suggest having it replaced by an indy along with : Oil filter housing gaskets if you haven't already done so. Look in coolant reservoir and see it oil is in coolant (mine was).
Plastic VCover is prone to crack and is a pain to remove. It will get worse so you will need to get this done - soon.
I was thinking of doing the repair myself seeing how theres so many DIY's on this forum, I have replaced other VC on other cars. Is there something about this one that i should be aware of? besides it being a PIA, I feel 900 is a lot to pay for a gasket that isn't that hard to get to. How is your VC now, did the hondaBOND work well? Im considering using some type of sealant too where the major leakage area is, which looks to be in the inner middle of the gasket…btw, did your coils cause any problems since the tips were soaked in oil? Im at 105K miles and was ordering spark plugs to install, but I'm considering buying new coils if getting the tip of the coil pack would cause problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Gasket Removal

Valve cover is hard to remove in that you have to use plastic tools to separate it from the block without scratching the alum surfaces.
Plus - the gasket hardens like glass and as it breaks on removal -- any small piece must be removed -- or you will pay .. I spent nearly 6 hrs removing the gasket alone. Surface cleaning the block can also be difficult.
Yes it all seams easy --- but the gasket can still leak if it is not all carefully put back together ~ torque to exact specs / pattern.
I even broke a small fastener that holds down some of the ignition wires and had to extract the fastener.
If you have never done this work on an E90 -- expect to have challenges but it can be done. It took me 12 hrs --- but I was very meticulous in seating the new gasket .

The Hondabond was recommended by BMW Service Techs and I even purchased it from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:48 AM   #6
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Hey, I'm half way through, and i'm stuck at removing the vacuum hose
at the rear (with the squeeze tabs), as well as another hose
that connects the valve cover to the air intake (after the MAF sensor).
There are several plastic tabs, and I tried prying one, but seems like it
was going to break off, so I stopped.

Any tips??

First image shows the hose on the valve cover (with the round plastic).

Second image shows the other end of the hose (to the air intake).

Third image shows the tabs around the round plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
Valve cover is hard to remove in that you have to use plastic tools to separate it from the block without scratching the alum surfaces.
Plus - the gasket hardens like glass and as it breaks on removal -- any small piece must be removed -- or you will pay .. I spent nearly 6 hrs removing the gasket alone. Surface cleaning the block can also be difficult.
Yes it all seams easy --- but the gasket can still leak if it is not all carefully put back together ~ torque to exact specs / pattern.
I even broke a small fastener that holds down some of the ignition wires and had to extract the fastener.
If you have never done this work on an E90 -- expect to have challenges but it can be done. It took me 12 hrs --- but I was very meticulous in seating the new gasket .

The Hondabond was recommended by BMW Service Techs and I even purchased it from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep

335i VS 328i

I am trying to recognize -- then realized that you have N52 -- I am familure
with N54 -- sorry
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

That's ok... I have an N51 (2008 328xi) to be precise... it's also a SULEV, is that different?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 03:58 AM   #9
TheTallJS
United_States
Rep
Drives: Metallic Black 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
EricTheCarGuy says don't use the paste sealant because it'll solidify and be difficult to remove in the future.