E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > engine siting without cover for several days?

02-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
prepster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

engine siting without cover for several days?

Hi everyone, Im currently replacing my valve cover gasket and striped a vc bolt and unfortunately have to wait till monday (3days) for it to arrive at the dealer. I have the engine head covered with a large bag and a towel on top of it as well, i also taped up my fuel lines/injectors, I'm not used to leaving my engine uncovered for long periods of time, but wanted to get your opinions of any possible damage that can occur or any tips you guys have to prevent an problems. (aside from the obvious which is to place the cover back on, but it was a pain removing it, and the fact that the battery might die as well) If its ok to leave the engine as is, covered with a plastic bag and towel over it, i would rather do that. thanks for your advice
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Why didn't you disconnect the Battery?

Also you should be fine, as long as no wind is going to blow your covers away.
and tell everyone not to go in the Garage if that is the case.

DN
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I left the head off of my 1973 Ford Pinto 2.0L motor for 10 days, in the middle of winter, and the car was on street in front of my house. I just spayed WD-40 on everything, stuffed the cylinders with red shop towels and covered the deck with shop towels. Put it all back together 10 days later and she ran fine for another 100,000.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
prepster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

thanks for the input, and yeah i did disconnect my battery, my main concern was my fuel lines and injectors, seeing how their high precision injectors, i wanted to be extra careful nothing got inside them, all i did was tape the top of the injectors with duct tape...I might just be paranoid since I'm away for the weekend and thats how i left my car. can't wait to get back home and begin working on it again!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

It's fine, I left it open for a couple of days too as I was cleaning the valve cover. I didn't even cover up anything.
Appreciate 0