F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Dealer Says That They Aren't Allowed To Sell The 3 Series GT Right Now...
Extreme Powerhouse

02-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
WhoWhat
Rep
Drives: GT 328i

Question Dealer Says That They Aren't Allowed To Sell The 3 Series GT Right Now...

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing the 328i. I scheduled a test drive with a local dealership. When I got there the salesman told me that BMW had just told them, not to sell any of the GTs. He said there is an issue with them. The dealership wouldn't even let me test drive the one on the lot.

I called BMW North America and the customer service rep said that it may have happened, but he wasn't aware. He said that the info may not have tricked down to them yet.

Has anyone else heard of this? I tried googling and couldn't find anything.

Last edited by WhoWhat; 02-23-2014 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F34 (328iX GT M-Sport)

Mine has been my daily driver since November. Haven't heard anything from my dealer or BMW NA. I sure hope they'd tell me if anything is wrong!

Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
@boss335xDrive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i GT XDrive MSport 19"

I've been driving my 335ix GT since September 2nd. I had several repeated issues with the "technology package". It kept rebooting itself. After the 3rd software update, the issues hasn't returned...it's been a couple of months.

Haven't received any notices of a recall...

Please keep us posted if you learn more.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #4
orangebang
Rep
Drives: 328i Xdrive GT

that's weird. I'm supposed to pick up my 328i GT tomorrow.

I test drove it twice last week.

They haven't mentioned anything to me. I'm in So Cal (Los Angeles).
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
WhoWhat
Rep

The fact that they wouldn't let me test drive the model they had on the lot made me think it is serious.

It seems strange. I can't imagine why a dealership would lie about that. I am wondering if they misunderstood.

I am going to call some other dealerships in the area tomorrow and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
netsurfr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M Monte Carlo Blue

Garage List
Interesting. I just placed an order for a 335 GT this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #7
WhoWhat
Rep

I have spoken with two separate dealerships today. Both have heard nothing about a no sale on the GT 3. They really wanted to know where my dealership got their info and why they wouldn't let me test drive.

I wonder what is going on at that dealership. They reiterated via email that the 3 GT is not for sale.

I am going to try and set up a test drive with a new dealer this weekend. If I hear anything else, I will post.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
JFREEZISM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X6 i35 xDrive M Pkg

I test drove one at the BMW xDrive Event on the Track no less...hmmm interesting
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Could it be the case that they don't have any on the lot for sale so that's why they don't want to let you drive it?

When I was shopping for my F30 here in Toronto, I found that some dealers were really just interested in selling what was on the lot, and when I inquired about an order, they weren't as interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
WhoWhat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
Could it be the case that they don't have any on the lot for sale so that's why they don't want to let you drive it?

When I was shopping for my F30 here in Toronto, I found that some dealers were really just interested in selling what was on the lot, and when I inquired about an order, they weren't as interested.

They have one on the lot. They wouldn't let me test drive it. They were willing to order, just not the GT. They offered to order me a 5 series sedan or an X3 if I wanted something custom. I am not interested in either of those.

I am baffled.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #11
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoWhat View Post
They have one on the lot. They wouldn't let me test drive it. They were willing to order, just not the GT. They offered to order me a 5 series sedan or an X3 if I wanted something custom. I am not interested in either of those.

I am baffled.
Perhaps the sales manager is one of those BMW "afficianados" who is offended by the mere existence of the F34?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F34 (328iX GT M-Sport)

I wonder if someone got the wrong message… maybe they said THAT particular vehicle was sold, so it shouldn't be used for test drives or as demo anymore? Sounds too strange… that, or they're trying to up-sell you into a 5-Series??
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
WhoWhat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcq784 View Post
I wonder if someone got the wrong message… maybe they said THAT particular vehicle was sold, so it shouldn't be used for test drives or as demo anymore? Sounds too strange… that, or they're trying to up-sell you into a 5-Series??
They were very clear. The salesman came back and said they got a message that there is an issue with them. The one that was on the lot is still there and is still listed on their website, which appears to have been updated since I was there.

I think they got their wires crossed or something.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #14
WhoWhat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Perhaps the sales manager is one of those BMW "afficianados" who is offended by the mere existence of the F34?
They mentioned the GT 5 to me. If they would do that, how offended could they be by the GT 3?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #15
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Could always verify this. OP could inquire about purchasing an X6 or ordering an X4 when they're available and see what the sales manager says.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #16
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
They mentioned the GT 5 to me. If they would do that, how offended could they be by the GT 3?
Touché.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #17
WhoWhat
Rep

I got another email from the salesman. He reiterated that the GT 3 is not available for ordering or a test drive. They are adamant about it.

I will have to drive a couple of hours to another dealership. I hope I have time to test drive one this weekend.

I am now up to 4 dealers in my state who have never heard of any issues with the GT 3 series. Two out of state dealers have said the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
concerthiker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 11 X6 5 / 09 Z4 35

Idrive problem

I have 335GT for ten days now. I can verify the idrive randomly reboots just about once a day. It's seriously annoying since I never drive without music playing. I haven't had it affect any other driving system. My service center said it was a software glitch they haven't fixed and to check with him next month. He's a good friend so I know he's not blowing me off. Anyone else experience this or hear anything about it?

Op I can see BMW denying drives/sales if there's a serious problem but I'm surprised it only seems to be one dealer claiming awareness of this.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #19
netsurfr
Private
Rep

Garage List
Something is up w/ that dealer. You have 4 dealers telling you otherwise & I JUST placed an order for a 335 GT.

Now as for that idrive rebooting problem (hope they fix it quickly for you) that would probably not be limited to the GT only. I did a search for iDrive random reboot and found some people are having issues with that but seems like it's not just GT cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #20
netsurfr
Private
Rep

Garage List
Did you ask him if this is a decision by this dealership only or BMWNA?

Quote:
I got another email from the salesman. He reiterated that the GT 3 is not available for ordering or a test drive. They are adamant about it.

I will have to drive a couple of hours to another dealership. I hope I have time to test drive one this weekend.

I am now up to 4 dealers in my state who have never heard of any issues with the GT 3 series. Two out of state dealers have said the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #21
WhoWhat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfr View Post
Did you ask him if this is a decision by this dealership only or BMWNA?
When we got there to test drive the GT, we were told that they didn't have the car ready for us, because of the "no sale". He said it was a "safety issue" and BMW wouldn't let them sell the GT.

He also said: I would love to sell you one, but I can't.

He also offered to sell us a "new" 2013 5 series at a steep discount, because it is the previous year's model. "New" apparently means a car with 9,000+ miles that was put into service a while ago.

It is strange. I would really like to know what is going on over there, but I won't stress myself. It sucks to have to drive hours away, but I would prefer dealing with people who actually want my business.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #22
ForlornMTL
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i GT xDrive MG on RC

According to my salesman, my GT was built yesterday. I don't think they would be building them if there was a major issue with them. They would stop everything.

Different dealerships have different ways of dealing with clients i guess.
I had one treat me like a normal person and another trying to impress me with a free cap, pen, bag and keychain with the dealership name on them, but wouldn't tell me the price they could go down to. I left with pricing matching the BMW.ca website with hints at possible rebates and a bunch of stuff to put in the garbage hahahahaha

Maybe your first dealership is just trying to sell what's on the lot or models they know they can exchange with another dealer. The GT is rare for now and most need to be ordered. Lazy salesman or weird sales tactics.
Appreciate 0