BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Improving sound - exhaust options

Just wondering what are the UK owners thoughts on installing after market exahusts simply to improve the sound quality

Im not prepared to pay 8k for a full on Akro exhaust system so just wondering what additional experiences are out there...

Id like a simple bolt on solution,ie something that wont effect warranty and will effectively work like the standard exhaust with a better quality sound whilst maintain all the cracks and pops that I love!

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
Just wondering what are the UK owners thoughts on installing after market exahusts simply to improve the sound quality

Im not prepared to pay 8k for a full on Akro exhaust system so just wondering what additional experiences are out there...

Id like a simple bolt on solution,ie something that wont effect warranty and will effectively work like the standard exhaust with a better quality sound whilst maintain all the cracks and pops that I love!

Any thoughts?

Cheers
I fitted an Eisenmann Race system to mine and run it for six months, but finally for me, as a daily drive the drone was too much and although it made a great sound needed to come off. I am currently running the OEM exhaust with the ExhaustMeister switch fitted and Cyba Carbon Tips.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

sound is too subjective.

+1 on E-Race for really short time period and was not suitable for me at all ... simply too loud and drone in the typical cruising speed range. Same experience with 'W5Pwr'. Back to stock and no more mod for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5pwr View Post
I fitted an Eisenmann Race system to mine and run it for six months, but finally for me, as a daily drive the drone was too much and although it made a great sound needed to come off. I am currently running the OEM exhaust with the ExhaustMeister switch fitted and Cyba Carbon Tips.
Have your cyba tips arrived? Where they as easy to instal as advertised? Is your oem exhaust a cp exhaust? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru

Any thoughts?

Cheers
If you want low cost sound enhancement, you can't beat the turner exhaust or Hartge muffler delete. Both are basically straight pipes which replace the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 04:18 AM   #6
Stiggly
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 LCI

Quote:
Could you share some pics of your car with those tips fitted please.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggly View Post
Could you share some pics of your car with those tips fitted please.
Since these pictures were taken I have dropped them back abit, which imho improves the look....

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 03:15 AM   #8
Stiggly
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply matey. I am still torn between the carbon tips like yours or just the gloss black.

Are the CT larger in diameter than the standard OEM tips...I know the black gloss one are?.

Any more updated pics would be greatly appreciated....thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply matey. I am still torn between the carbon tips like yours or just the gloss black.

Are the CT larger in diameter than the standard OEM tips...I know the black gloss one are?.

Any more updated pics would be greatly appreciated....thanks
From these hopefully you can see the larger diameter....

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
Stiggly
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Stunning.....one quick question, how do you manage to access that top grub screw?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:07 AM   #11
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Stunning.....one quick question, how do you manage to access that top grub screw?
By the 'trial & error' method; turn it so the top screw at the bottom, tighten it to the required level, turn it back to the top and then tighten the other two and they will clamp it, then tighten all the locking nuts.

It did take a few attempts at getting the right positions, but was quite easy...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 02:32 AM   #12
Stiggly
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
By the 'trial & error' method; turn it so the top screw at the bottom, tighten it to the required level, turn it back to the top and then tighten the other two and they will clamp it, then tighten all the locking nuts.

It did take a few attempts at getting the right positions, but was quite easy...
I think i would be 'cursing' all the way lol.

I shall order mine this week...thanks for all your help. I am very temped by the exhaust Meister....sounds like the way ahead.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 06:33 AM   #13
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
I did my Cyba tips yesterday, here's my DIY.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965389

As for the OP, best way to change the sound wo getting a new exhaust is probably the exhaust Meister.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #14
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Drill holes on the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #15
PARDEEPM5KULLAR
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 DMS STAGE 1

in terms of sound, i have had my rear mufflers removed and my mid silencers removed.
under full load the sound is immense! sounds like a thunderstorm. the ops and bands on upshifts and downshifts are on demand.

if you near Birmingham, feel free to meet up and have a listen to mine
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #16
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARDEEPM5KULLAR View Post
in terms of sound, i have had my rear mufflers removed and my mid silencers removed.
under full load the sound is immense! sounds like a thunderstorm. the ops and bands on upshifts and downshifts are on demand.
Tell me more! I desperate to do something with my exhaust but keep getting told I will invalidate the warranty!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #17
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

An exhaust can't invalidate the warranty on the whole car, only the parts it affects. BMW can't wriggle out of a warranty claim on an electric window for example, it's against EU law.

Try this: http://shop.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/quad-...ion-4734-p.asp
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #18
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
An exhaust can't invalidate the warranty on the whole car, only the parts it affects. BMW can't wriggle out of a warranty claim on an electric window for example, it's against EU law.

Try this: http://shop.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/quad-...ion-4734-p.asp
Not sure what I can do....My BMW warranty expires in 18 months...After this time I will need to get the extended BMW warranty which is managed by Mondial. It is MOndial saying that it will invalidate everything on the car
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #19
Lorcan
Rep

Do you have that in writing from Mondial?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #20
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Do you have that in writing from Mondial?
So this is what came back from BMW Insured Warranty

"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email and I apologise for the delay in replying to you.

I have been in contact with our claims team with regards to your enquiry.

Exhausts are excluded from all insured warranty policy’s. We could not consider a claim which is dependent on the venting the exhaust offers should you change this to a modified component. The incorrect exhaust could cause pressures in the engine which could cause potential problems.

We do not cover modifications on a vehicle under any of our policies. The modification could well effect the engines performance and as such any damage linked to or caused by the modification would not be considered. This would remove any engine repairs as a minimum.

If you do have any further questions or queries please do not hesitate to contact me."

A backbox that changes engine pressures?!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #21
Lorcan
Rep

Most performance exhausts reduce back pressure in the system but this does not cause any ill effects, it just means the turbos don't have to work quite so hard. BMW have their own range of performance exhausts that do the same thing. Thanks for the reply though, I'll take this up with ACS Germany and let you know what they say.
Appreciate 0