2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs My experience finding a detail who can perform paint correction and apply Opti-coat

06-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Mr.skytech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Point A to point B in style

Cool My experience finding a detail who can perform paint correction and apply Opti-coat

My White Knight needs some TLC and paint correction. To top it all off I want to get it Opti-coated.

I first went to the Opti website to look up a listing of all of the trained \ certified Opti-Coat installers in my area. I found a few and one that was also recommended here. My original choice was Mr.Sparkle and I was able to secure a much more comfortable price with him but he doesn't seem like a people person. My next choice was Phil @ detailersdomain.

I recently went up there for him to see my car and to price it out. The price was up there but looks like a more professional place.

I will be posting pictures of how my car looks like now and I will be posting pictures of how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Dan1416
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 528 x-drive

You won't be disappointed! They are a top notch company. Check out his work on Instagram
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

I believe you live in the NYC metro area. I was thinking of getting similar work done to my car. Would you mind shooting me a PM with the estimate you were given. I would like to get a ball park idea if what this costs. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

PM me too. PLEASE!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Mr.skytech
Lieutenant
Rep

PM sent. The pictures are taking a while since my time is limited.

I will try to take the best ones i can after a good wash and maybe a clay. I want to be exact as much as can.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
Mr.skytech
Lieutenant
Rep

Here are some close-ups before I take my car to Phil over at Detailers Domain.
I know that the car is dirty but, focus on the scratches.

After the detail job I will post pictures of it.

Also, I will take pictures of the hard to detail parts like

The roof
The side sills
The front Bumper
The black window sills
and the bottom part of the side view mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
Mr.skytech
Lieutenant
Rep

So today I spoke to Phil and made arrangements to drop off the car at his place.

As I am still skeptical about the whole "do I really need to spend all this cash on some coating?" I found a great video online about the Opti-coat warranty that the installer should give you. Phil never mentioned that during the whole "sale" process. I will give him a chance to bring it up and see how it's presented. Will he try to sell it to me or will he give it to me since I have bought the opti-coat from him already.

Here is the YouTube video posted by Optimum Polymer Technologies themselves.

Who ever has had Opti-coat installed by the detailer and he has not given this warranty package to you then you should contact Optimum Polymer Technologies @
(901) 363-4955 and complain.

I will post up more pictures that I took of my car with the scratches.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

drop me a call guys would love to get your cars in.

Angel, thanks for letting me work on your car.

Keep me posted on how it's going. I'll post up some photos here when I get them up.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
Mr.skytech
Lieutenant
Rep

My experience so far has been surprisingly both good and bad. I will have more details on both soon. For the money I paid for the detail work though, I was told that only about 70 - 80% of the scratches were removed.

I will have more details on everything soon. Plus lots of pictures. For more detail you can PM me.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

yes it was a bit unfortunate with some of the deeper scratches around the resprayed panels. we were not able to remove it at the level I would have liked. I rated it 70-80% removed. As many of you know once a car is resprayed and you don't know how the body shop did the work, you can end up going thru clear fast and possibly go right through the resprayed areas.

Lots of sand scratches on the clear and under the clear on the paint as told to Angel.

We will have the full article up to show the improvements on this car.

It went from beige to Alpine White again, it will be a good write up.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Talking

While the OptiCoat is a great choice, what's more important is the paint prep pre OptiCoat. My new 535 took 14 hours of paint prep to get it just right prior to OptiCoat. If you can afford it have your wheels done as well, have them remove the wheels and polish both the inside and outside of the wheel to prepare for OptiCoat application. The results, my car always looks stunning and the wheels hardly get dirty anymore. The picture below does not do the work any justice. I thought that my car looked good when I picked it up from the dealer, however post prep and OptiCoat it's a whole new look - the car literally gleams!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #12
Mr.skytech
Lieutenant
Rep

Your car looks sick. I am not sure if my wheels got opti-coated; I didn't have it that long to tell, but when i get it back i'll check it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
therealdeal
Registered
Rep
Drives: e39m5

Detailers Domain do great job very professionals and know what they are doing. I have experience first hand the amazing job they do, the quality of the products they use and the way they care for you car is awesome, never had a problem or concern about the job the do. and yes sometimes the scratches cant be removed 100% due to the car being painted and not knowing the quality of the paint you can't risk to go to deep. but Phil always give me his honest opinion on how much can he remove and why some panels that have been repainted can't be as good as the others, knowing that I feel in good hands because the person working on my car knows what he is doing. I will highly recommend anyone to get their car done with Phil detailers Domain.
if I was to rate this shop five stars wont be enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I'd go as far to say that Phil is one of the top guys in the nation. I've been dealing with him for many, many years and I've yet to hear anything negative about his operation.

Please note that correction of 80% is very, very good. Detailers are quick to brag about 100% correction, but that takes a lot of TIME and thus a lot of MONEY. If your paint isn't original, then forget about 100% because you just simply don't know the level of work that was done compared to the factory paint job.

Also, do you really want to shell out for a 100% correction job if your car is your daily driver? I guarantee that the first time you wash and dry it, you'll knock it right down to 80%!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #15
Mr.skytech
Lieutenant
Rep

My short trip has been turned into a journey and it's not over yet.

So far I can say that there have been a lot of ups and downs and I have chosen to have my car detailed and opticoated for a much more reasonable price.

Details on my trip will be up soon.
Appreciate 0