M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

06-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Unhappy Vic55 and I drove the F80 M3. Pulls like a French Choo Choo Train.

Yo yo, what up?! It's yo favorite car reviewah here, Pkilla617.

Yo, got to drive the new ass M3 today boy. This ride is dope ya'll. The one I drove didn't have the cocaine white interior, but the car was a beast. Top of the line son. Ya'll need to get a handle on this new M3, car felt like a beast in all modes, even just drivin' it around in da' parking lot. This M3 didn't have the Shakur leather either, but it was nasty fo'sho. Loved stocks on the car too dog.

And now back to your regular scheduled programming...

Ok, after my good friend Pkilla drove the car, it was my turn. RPiM5, aka Mr. JetBlue himself.

I got a secret communique through back channel BMW protocols that provided the intelligence necessary for me to hunt down my first F80 M3 and drive it. Got to the dealership this afternoon after I got off of work and parked Ms. Mika outside in the front of the dealership. The receptionist girl was funny and gave me the best compliment I think I've ever gotten on my car she said that "my M5 looked like it belonged in California, like in Hollywood." Ha!

After a short chat with the receptionist girl the CA came out and helped to arrange the test drive with him. I think I may the first F10 M5 owner to drive an F80 M3 or at least report on it here on Bimmerpost. If I'm not then at least I'm the first one to report how Pkilla617 himself liked the car. What a guy he is.

THE GOOD:

After a long chat with the CA, about cool M3 stuff, we were off! I took it easy on Mika's little sister at first, just puttered about in D1 mode everything efficient and comfort, just to get a feel for her. The steering feel just driving around at slow and normal speeds felt less communicative than M5's steering. This is just my perception. Later when I went to Sport and Sport+ on the steering, it did get a lot heavier, but no extra feel was felt really, although I will say that the EPS is very very responsive and accurate. Halfway through the test drive I put the M3 in Sport+ throttle, Sport+ Suspension, and Sport+ Steering, D3 mode and gave more and more throttle input. What happened next surprised the hell out of me...

THE FANTASTIC:

As soon as the engine revolutions passed EXACTLY 4,000RPM, the car literally and shockingly CAME ALIVE!!!! It was like I awoke a BEAST lurking beneath the hood of the car! I was like GOOD GOD, where the hell did you come from little M3?! When I mean CAME ALIVE, I mean the sound in the cabin COMPLETELY changed from sounding like I was driving a 335i around town to sounding like I was driving a bonefide ///M car on the Nurburging! The sound we heard is the sound of the induction noise of the engine and the exhaust of the car seemingly mixed together. I soon switched to S3 mode on the DCT, and began upshifting and downshifting to get the revs below and above 4,000rpm. When I upshifted to 3rd gear from 2nd and the revs went below 4,000rpm the car went quiet, I would slow down downshift to 2nd gear then give the engine some throttle and would accelerate past 4,000rpm and every single time the car came alive! I did like 10 times in a row, because I was having a hard time believing just how F$CK(NG FANTASTIC the car sounded! I did several more pulls like this with the windows rolled down just to determine if I could hear the exhaust change note with the valves opening up. The answer is yes you can hear a definite change to the exhaust note when the valves open up and it sounds pretty good!

It was a pretty extended test drive and we took it on the highway for a few minutes too. We hit this super long on ramp, like at least a 1/4 mile and I gave it a good long acceleration. This is where I felt the real PULL of the new F80 M3. I'm telling you guys the car pulls like an M5, I'm not exaggerating. I got the same feeling of acceleration. Whether the new M3 is faster in any kind of straightline performance I can't say, the CA would not let me race my M5 against it. Lol! Then again my M5 is modded to over 700hp at the moment. The new M3 sure did feel fast though, and that's what counts.

The NOT SO GOOD:

As for the other things, it was about the same as you would expect riding in a nicely equipped 335i. The interior sound in the cabin was pretty dang quiet, dare I say even less road noise than an F10 M5? I conducted the entire test drive with the radio in the OFF position, as I wanted to hear every last sound from the car that I could.

After a little while of driving the M3 around, I did start to notice a lot of little things that reminded me I was driving an M3 and not an M5. The one that I test drove did not have the full leather, but that didn't bother me. One of the most noticeable things I took note of, and I know this might be weird, was the look of the digital display for the temperature controls. On the F3x/F8x chassis, the display for the temperature controls looks like it's displayed in 32bit graphics. On the M5 and M6, the temperature digital display looks like it's in 1056bit. No alcantara headliner, no soft close doors, no power close trunk, no ventilated front seats (which by the way it is stinking hot around here today, 99 degrees and b#tch ain't one), the instrument display doesn't look as nice, yada, yada, yada... Yeah I know it's like a $30,000 dollar cheaper car than an M5, but I was reminded of that almost everywhere I looked around inside the cabin. Overall though, just by the look at the seats I felt like I was in a more sporty car, especially by the interior sound of the engine too!

THE BAD:

After the test drive I parked the Mika's little sister next to her for a quick photoshoot afterwards. While doing that though, I asked the CA if he could rev the engine for me while I stood behind the M3. I just wanted to hear finally for once and for all, what the heck this thing sounded like while revving from a stand still. Unfortunately all the reports are true. The exhaust sounds like shiite! I know it's because the valves are closed and I even had the CA put all the car's setting in Sport+ to see if the valves would open but it didn't really help when revving from a stand still. The exhaust sounds much much better when you're driving it around. I know for a fact, once some legit aftermarket exhausts get installed and eliminate those valves, it'll sound much better in all regimes.

I had initially thought of getting an M3/M4 one day because I wanted to have a car that can do it all in a cheaper way. I.E. track time, daily driver, utility, comfort, luxury, technology, and looks. But, I walked away from the F80 M3 today feeling thankful that when I got back into my M5, I could use the ventilated seats because it was so hot out today. I even gave the CA a ride in my M5 after we finished in the M3. He giggled a lot more when I drove my M5 than when I drove the M3 today, if that tells you anything. Then again my M5 is straightpiped, with a tune, and with upgraded suspension.

One thing that I found annoying on the M3 right away is the display that tells you which mode you are currently in for Throttle, Suspension, and Steering. On the M5, the modes are always displayed below the Tacometer. On the M3, the mode selection display is a Pop-Up menu that only comes up when you are changing the modes then goes away. So you can't see straight away which mode you are in for the various settings. This combined with the fact that they took away the lights on the buttons themselves on the lower center console near the gear shift knob, is annoying. This I would have to say is my biggest peeve about the new M3/M4.

I will now bring a little heuristics into this review.

Scale from 1-10.

Steering: 8. Not horrible, but not OMG I love the steering feel either.

Ride Quality - 10. Felt just as comfortable driving around as the M5 did

Ride Comfort - 7. Much better seats than the E92 M3, but when I got back into my M5, I felt like I was sitting on a lazyboy, compared to the F80 M3's love seat.

Technology - 10. It's a BMW, I expect nothing less.

Performance - 10. Not only did it feel fast, but the car made sounded like I was driving an ///M car, from the inside that is.

Brakes - 8. The standard steel brakes felt just fine, but I know they will experience fade when driven on the track.

Size - 10. Absolutely love the size of the F80 M3. It's perfect!

Weight - 10. You can just feel that the car is a lot lighter.

Overall ///M Character - 8. I rated this an 8 because overall, the new M3 does feel like an ///M car. It handles like an M, it drives like an M, and feels like an M for sure. Honestly compared to a stock M5, it feels more of an ///M car than an M5 does. The M5 is much more luxury and the extra luxuriousness does take away some of that ///M special feeling to it. Like induction sound of the engine. But there's a little to be desired on the new M3 still. Like the (ahem) exhaust note. Oh and I also feel that the hood bulge adds A LOT of character to the new M3/M4. I loved it, and I'm usually not a fan of hood bulges.

Personally, my two biggest concerns about the new F80 M3 were the steering feel and the exhaust note. As I found out today, I have nothing to worry about with those things and neither should anyone else. I'm glad that I finally got to test drive one as it answered my biggest question for me. Is worth it to trade in the M5 for a new M3? That answer for me today was no. My primary reason for considering the M3 was that it's a more track worthy car. And living around where I live now, hitting the racetrack is more prudent than seeking great public roads to drive where there is little risk. The sad fact is that where I live there is great risk to going full throttle on an F10 M5 within a 100 mile radius. Therefore, I wish to track more. The F10 M5 may be a heavy bitch, but she can still "Dance With the Stars" on the track too. I'll be keeping her for a while longer still. Her and all 4,400lbs of her. The new M3 and M4 are fanastic cars though and if I didn't already own the M5, I'd get an M3 or M4. In some respects I like the looks of them better than M5/M6, in other respects I don't. It's all subjective.

But seriously, just wait until you drive the new M3 and M4 and surpass 4,000rpm on that S55 engine. I wish I could be there to witness the look on your faces and I wish the stock M5 and M6 had that kind of character. Honestly.

It's been fun typing this all out and sharing, but now enjoy a few pictures.

Oh yeah and Pkilla says peace out bi$ches.
Attached Images

Last edited by RPiM5; 06-26-2014 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

I wanted to be the first to say Dave you ROCK -
And the FIRST M5post memba to reply -
LOL
Thanks Dave for the LONG AWAITED write up
Your car looks a lot better in that blue - Than the little sista -
BTW Considered getting the LED new lights? And LCI steering wheel? Since after this review it looks like you're keeping your M5 for a while -
P.S Exhauste is intoxicating after opening the M5 valves with Exhauste Meister NO DOUBT and not sure about mpg -

I am happy that M3 is that nice too as I am thinking M4 - But worried about EPS

Last edited by soooma; 06-17-2014 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Good report. I think Mika looks better than the M3, side by side.

Edit: and yes, those digital fonts look the same as they did in our E60 M5s. Weak.
      06-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Great details, man does the f80 look so subtle compared to your M5 LOL.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Axelf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35is...

Excellent write up...... i had an order in for the new M3 for delivery in july..... but changed my mind and got the M5, i have to say i think i will need to try the M3 out but can't see me getting rid of the M5...
      06-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Entertaining and informative.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Oh Pkilla, what would we do without you.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

:

That was great...thanks for the subjective review I have been waiting on
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Oh Pkilla, what would we do without you.

haha... are you comparing all Ms???
BTW such a nice car
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
Time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Good write up. I know that BMW dealer, ill have to stop by to check out that m3.
      06-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Pkilla lives!

Thanks Dave. Great write up. A little disappointing to hear about steering feel. I was expecting a large step forward from the F10 :-/
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Just tell us one thing.

Is it faster than the m5?

Does the v8 in the m5 (and with a cp exhaust) sound better or not?

In other words, does the new kid know its place or can it actually beat the m5 in speed, acceleration, and sound ? Is m5 a dumbed down luxury sedan or can it beat the m3 in all those areas?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

RPiM5 your write-ups are always more substantial and interesting than most of the leading mag reviews, nice work.

And your car makes that M3 look "meh".
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
///M5ForWin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Thanks Dave for the excellent review! I really appreciate that you pointed out the strengths and weaknesses in clear and unambiguous language without the M-bashing or negativity so often found in new M car reviews. Happy to feel some M love for a change.
2011 X5 35d Black
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful Driver View Post
Just tell us one thing.

In other words, does the new kid know its place or can it actually beat the m5 in speed, acceleration, and sound ? Is m5 a dumbed down luxury sedan or can it beat the m3 in all those areas?
He has a 600+whp Rpi straightpiped M5, what do you think? LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
Well i m guessing he has driven a stock CP and can compare it?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #17
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

The ride is just as comfy as the M5? Really? That is one of the main reasons I went from an E92 M3 to the F10 M5. So the comfort setting is just as supple as the M5? If the new M3 is just as fast, rides as smoothly and is smaller and lighter that is pretty compelling.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #18
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MMB View Post
Good write up. I know that BMW dealer, ill have to stop by to check out that m3.
Yes sir. I highly suggest it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers View Post
Pkilla lives!

Thanks Dave. Great write up. A little disappointing to hear about steering feel. I was expecting a large step forward from the F10 :-/
Yeah I was almost expecting to feel something prodigious about the steering but it never happened for me today. Almost like feeling up a girls boobs for the first time and all you got was half a boner and her telling you it's not doing anything for her either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmfiv3 View Post
RPiM5 your write-ups are always more substantial and interesting than most of the leading mag reviews, nice work.

And your car makes that M3 look "meh".
Thanks bro! That means a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M5ForWin View Post
Thanks Dave for the excellent review! I really appreciate that you pointed out the strengths and weaknesses in clear and unambiguous language without the M-bashing or negativity so often found in new M car reviews. Happy to feel some M love for a change.
Yeah I tried to be as subjective as possible. I'm not a hater, and I have nothing but love about all these cars, but some do have their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
This.

Quote:
Well i m guessing he has driven a stock CP and can compare it?
Yup have driven a stock non-CP M5 and a stock CP M5, as well as stock CP and non-CP M6's before. Both the stock CP and non-CP M6's were the only ///M cars I've ever driven that made me a little scared from the acceleration. I get that same feeling now with my modded M5 going from 3rd to 4th gear past 100mph. The acceleration in the F80 M3 was surprising and really did feel like the acceleration of the S63tu engine, especially since it was stock, but honestly there's no way it's faster than even a stock non-CP M5. M3's have never been built for straightline speed, they're drivers car meant for the racetrack not the highway.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #19
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
The ride is just as comfy as the M5? Really? That is one of the main reasons I went from an E92 M3 to the F10 M5. So the comfort setting is just as supple as the M5? If the new M3 is just as fast, rides as smoothly and is smaller and lighter that is pretty compelling.
He probably means the overall suspension setting. But i highly doubt its as comfortable when you look at the big picture. Door seals, cabin noise, wind noise, you name it. Go over 60, and all that wind noise will make you feel like you are driving a 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #20
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
He probably means the overall suspension setting. But i highly doubt its as comfortable when you look at the big picture. Door seals, cabin noise, wind noise, you name it. Go over 60, and all that wind noise will make you feel like you are driving a 3 series.
Nope. Actually everything about the comfort level ride quality of the M3 seemed on par with the M5 with the only exception being the seat itself. The suspension felt just as composed and supple as the M5. I tested all three settings of the adaptive suspension and even the CA riding in the passenger seat felt that he could tell the difference between the modes, especially when I switched back to comfort on the highway. There was no wind noise even over 60mph or 80mph inside the cabin. It is a highly compelling ride in terms of comfort and ride quality compared to the M5. They did a fantastic job. Like I said, the only thing was the seats. They look awesome and super sporty, but after driving only a few minutes sitting in them, I could immediately tell they were not nearly as ergonomic, comfortable, or relaxing as the M5 seats. Although they are no longer bucket seats and have the thigh width and shoulder width to support bigger people, they are neither luxury sedan seats meant for long distance cross-country driving.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #21
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Nope. Actually everything about the comfort level ride quality of the M3 seemed on par with the M5 with the only exception being the seat itself. The suspension felt just as composed and supple as the M5. I tested all three settings of the adaptive suspension and even the CA riding in the passenger seat felt that he could tell the difference between the modes, especially when I switched back to comfort on the highway. There was no wind noise even over 60mph or 80mph inside the cabin. It is a highly compelling ride in terms of comfort and ride quality compared to the M5. They did a fantastic job. Like I said, the only thing was the seats. They look awesome and super sporty, but after driving only a few minutes sitting in them, I could immediately tell they were not nearly as ergonomic, comfortable, or relaxing as the M5 seats. Although they are no longer bucket seats and have the thigh width and shoulder width to support bigger people, they are neither luxury sedan seats meant for long distance cross-country driving.
UAE's thread had a video of him posting the notorious door seal cracking issue that is known to be the worst thing ever happened to M3s. It was there in the old E9X M3 and it was my biggest problem with the car, I hated it. The doors would sound like they were made out of wood that was 50 years old and the only way to fix the problem was to take it to the dealership and they'd spray the door seals with some teflon tape. The fix would only last for 1 week and essentially the issue would come back. Seeing the same problem in the F80 was extremely disappointing.

I haven't test driven the F80, but I test drove the regular F30 335i M-sport and going over 60-70 does make you feel like you are in a 3 series. In my M5, I can go into bends doing 100-110, and it feels like 50-60. It's so comfortable and super quiet and also feels safe. You don't feel every single bump in the road and when you do hit bumps taking high speed turns, the rear does not give. There is something masculine and dominant about the M5.

So what you are saying is, apart from the seats, M3 and M5 are pretty much on par in terms of comfort and luxury? If that were true, it would hurt the M5 sales a lot.

Unless the standard M3 is too soft and ZCP will be much harsher (my M3 was a ZCP, so to me comparing the old ZCP M3 to the new CP M5 there is a big difference in comfort).
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #22
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Quote:
So basically what I get from this is that if I decide to get an M3 LCI (CP?) when my lease is up in 2 1/2 years instead of the next gen M5 in order to wait for the next LCI M5 (instead of something other than M) I wouldn't be disappointed in the performance but probably would miss the luxury, however no one should go out and trade their M5 for and M3 but be prepared if you decide to play with one in your M5 the performance is very close and would probably come down to driver.

Last edited by Mbdurham17; 06-17-2014 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0