View Single Post
      06-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #42
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
I'd love a Cayenne, but I just built a 2019 base model and equipped similarly to how I'd spec an X5 40 (M Sport, convenience package, Luxury seating package, Dynamic Handling package, premium package, HK stereo), the MSRP comes up to $96,600. That should be a good 20K higher than what the X5 is priced at. Plus, Porsche doesn't discount much, so it could be as much as a 25K difference overall. That is a big $$$ difference, at least to me. Though the Cayenne is damn nice, I'd have to strip the thing down so much to keep it under 80K (i.e. no PASM, no air suspension, no 4-wheel steering, no PDCC - pretty much all the things that make it drive really well) that it just wouldn't be worth it to me.

As for the Velar, that is a smaller vehicle than an X5, so not really a direct competitor. Closer to the new X3 in size. The Velar doesn't really drive that well either, at least for an enthusiast. The Jaguar F-Pace is pretty fun though, but the interior is really cheap (I had a rental 2018 3.5t for a week recently) and the tech/infotainment system is a joke. Rear visibility sucks out of it too (same issue with the Velar). The Velar fixes the interior, but it is just too heavy with all its unnecessary off-road hardware (seriously, what owner ever takes their Velar/RR Sport off road??? .1%???)
You're correct that a stripped down Cayenne would be roughly in range with a X5. But I disagree all those items you mentioned removed really enhances the driving experience. This is a 4500 lb vehicle...It'll still drive like a SUV even with PASM etc.

If you want a good driving SUV, then buy a smaller SUV or go with the X5M, which I think is the best in the business.