BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-09-2021, 08:49 PM   #1
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

45e Mission Range Extender

Hey guys I took the plunge and ended up buying this. I just had it flashed today. I still had a leftover Ethernet to OBD2 connector from when running Bootmod3 on previous models.

Set up the appointment for 1pm. He logged onto my laptop via teamviewer. The flash took no longer than 5 minutes. He asked whether I wanted EU spec or for full capacity usage. Opted of course for more range. Beefier the flash my X5 was on complete empty as far as the gauge goes for electric power. Instantly after the flash I showed 18 miles ready to use. He stated to lock the car and let it sit for 1 hour without being started. Next is to deplete to 0 and charge up over the next few days. As easy as it is to do seems like a no brainer to get almost double the range.

I'll post some photos tomorrow morning of the full charge and time it took with the level 2 charger. This is just info for anyone that has been on the fence or thought about it. The guys at mission were great. A little slow at first to schedule but after calling they jumped right on it.

Please keep the normal "void your warranty" comments to yourselves. I know the risk in doing this just like tuning my previous cars. Nothing has ever been flagged out of all my countless vehicles. We all know if it's caused then they could use it against you in the case of warranty work.

They do have the counter reset set so I will be taking the car into service as is with range extender flashed. I am not to worried.
Appreciate 12
ksavostin127.00
nomoracin761.00
nZtiZia4652.00
kjx3197.00
walkday97.50
Flying Ace4984.50
j1980mac262.50
JMD637.00
sunfarm26.50
aMIC31.00
      12-09-2021, 11:19 PM   #2
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
What's your total range now?
      12-09-2021, 11:26 PM   #3
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
What's your total range now?
I will have my first charge tonight. He said it will take about 3 charges for the car to fully sync on its range. Being in souther california I'm expecting to get close to 60-65 during summer. Will have mid 50's during winter.
Appreciate 2
kjx3197.00
JMD637.00
      12-10-2021, 12:36 AM   #4
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkeyjr View Post
I will have my first charge tonight. He said it will take about 3 charges for the car to fully sync on its range. Being in souther california I'm expecting to get close to 60-65 during summer. Will have mid 50's during winter.
How does going from 17.1kwh to 24kwh double the range?
Appreciate 1
dwwStL161.50
      12-10-2021, 01:21 AM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

What's the usable capacity for EU spec?
      12-10-2021, 07:07 AM   #6
jonjo001
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s and G05 45e

I think we have 21.4 KWh usable in the EU
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      12-10-2021, 08:07 AM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post
discharge rate isn't linear

https://www.powertechsystems.eu/home...c-measurement/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-10-2021, 08:42 AM   #8
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
What's the usable capacity for EU spec?
21.4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post
Quote:
Looking good to start.. these past few mornings being around 45 degrees have show my electric mileage at 30-32 miles. Showing 52 this morning. He did say it will take a few charges to have the cars range fully adjust.

On another note took about 1.5 hours longer than my previous charge. I am running the Grizzle level 2. Set to start at midnight and finished 6:31am. 6.5 hour charge time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #9
nerv101
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Can the process be reversed?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerv101 View Post
yes

personally, I wouldn't unlock the full 24kWh battery. lithium ion batteries do not like sitting at full charge for an extended period of time. they especially don't like to be discharged completely where the risk of a thermal event is likely if sitting discharged for an extended time. One has to plan well and be vigilant in maintaining proper storage voltage at the end of a trip, but sometimes this isn't possible (no plug-in charging ability, forgot to engage Battery Hold, etc).
Appreciate 5
Needsdecaf6599.00
wendyp1.50
cruzer6661237.00
Eugr72.50
      12-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
nerv101
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
yes
I have a lease and this would be great if I can undo it when it's returned.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #12
ThomasShelby
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e M Sport

Love the info, considering this when mine arrives in a few weeks.
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #13
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
yes
I have a lease and this would be great if I can undo it when it's returned.
Yes process can be reversed when going into the dealership if you are worried about it. I leased my 45e because of the touchscreen issue so I'll be returning it back to stock when the time comes… or if I keep it that long
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #14
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasShelby View Post
Love the info, considering this when mine arrives in a few weeks.
I recommend.. I see myself not using gas unless a longer trip. Even then we just finished up a Palm Springs drive. Taking the mountains we averaged 40mpg with zero charge. The car is truly one of a kind! We did the adaptive mode and input the address to arrive. Car did fantastic.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4652.00
      12-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #15
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I recommend.. […]Car did fantastic.
I'm very highly considering this but will likely go with the EU-spec. I'm currently holding off through winter because I just had one HV battery module replaced as part of the recall, and I wanna observe how things are holding up until then. i purchased my 45e but highly doubt I'll keep it past the 8-year/100k-mile HV battery warranty.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2021, 03:32 PM   #16
Rock2022
Rep
Drives: X5e

True car lover!

Quote:
Hey guys I took the plunge and ended up buying this. I just had it flashed today. I still had a leftover Ethernet to OBD2 connector from when running Bootmod3 on previous models.

Set up the appointment for 1pm. He logged onto my laptop via teamviewer. The flash took no longer than 5 minutes. He asked whether I wanted EU spec or for full capacity usage. Opted of course for more range. Beefier the flash my X5 was on complete empty as far as the gauge goes for electric power. Instantly after the flash I showed 18 miles ready to use. He stated to lock the car and let it sit for 1 hour without being started. Next is to deplete to 0 and charge up over the next few days. As easy as it is to do seems like a no brainer to get almost double the range.

I'll post some photos tomorrow morning of the full charge and time it took with the level 2 charger. This is just info for anyone that has been on the fence or thought about it. The guys at mission were great. A little slow at first to schedule but after calling they jumped right on it.

Please keep the normal "void your warranty" comments to yourselves. I know the risk in doing this just like tuning my previous cars. Nothing has ever been flagged out of all my countless vehicles. We all know if it's caused then they could use it against you in the case of warranty work.

They do have the counter reset set so I will be taking the car into service as is with range extender flashed. I am not to worried.
I like it.

Will take my touchscreen deleted X5 next weekend. I recall you did fantastic job to replace the touchscreen. Could you send me the link to replace and decode the touchscreen? Many thanks!
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2021, 03:46 PM   #17
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock2022 View Post
Quote:

I like it.

Will take my touchscreen deleted X5 next weekend. I recall you did fantastic job to replace the touchscreen. Could you send me the link to replace and decode the touchscreen? Many thanks!
That was another member. Thread is in here somewhere!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #18
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Could you send me the link to replace and decode the touchscreen? Many thanks!
Update: Touchscreen Retrofit is NOT Plug-and-Play https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1874976
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 04:19 PM   #19
Rock2022
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I like it.

That was another member. Thread is in here somewhere!
Got it, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #20
Rock2022
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Could you send me the link to replace and decode the touchscreen? Many thanks!
Update: Touchscreen Retrofit is NOT Plug-and-Play https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1874976
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 03:15 AM   #21
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Umm.. True, but if we're talking about energy (kWh's), we don't need to know or care about how the battery works internally. It's like gas: If you have 50% more gas, you can drive 50% longer. If you have 50% more usable energy in the battery, you can drive 50% longer.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 08:40 AM   #22
taybo20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xdrive45e

Can I get the link for mission? I might want to do this.
Appreciate 1