BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-14-2022, 03:29 AM   #1
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

The Wildblue X5 Build

Didn't anticipate this. I'm suddenly and unexpectedly needing to replace our secondary family car, and have placed an order for a X5.

Last year, I bought my dream X7, and have done multiple excellent road trips, that are linked in my signature block below. It's still running great, and not going anywhere. This X5 should compliment it nicely.

I had a previous really bad experience with sales at BMW of Anchorage, written in THIS POST HERE. Their service department has been absolutely awesome, but, as before, I decided to go to "BMW David" Aviles instead for the sale. Got a good price, and am setting up for another PCD, to be followed by my biggest and best cross continent road trip journal yet.

The car is a MY2022 X5 xDrive 40i, with specs:
  • Arctic Grey paint
  • Black Extended Merino Leather
  • Metallic Brown Ash Grain Wood interior trim
  • Luxury line
  • Premium Package
  • Climate Comfort Package
  • Parking Assistance Package
  • Multi-contour seats
  • Space-saver Spare Tire
  • Manual rear side sunshades
  • Wireless Charging

Just lke everybody else right now, I'm hitting issues with deleted features and options. Rather concerned about how far this could go by the time the car's delivered. As it is, at time of order these weren't available:
  • Executive Package
  • Any audio system except base hi-fi
  • Trailer hitch
  • Soft close doors

And since ordering, I'm now told these items have also been removed:
  • Luxury Seating Package (note that by choosing Merino leather, the multi-contour seats are not just still available, but actually required)
  • Touchpad feature on top of iDrive controller

David has assured me no other items will be missing at time of delivery. But with the volatility of this issue, I'm worried about any number of additional things showing up missing--powered lower rear liftgate, color environmental screen, dash touchscreen, Apple Carplay, etc, etc.

Everybody has their own breaking point with these delete issues. Had this been my primary X7 I was ordering, I wouldn't have accepted any of these deletions, and waited as long as it took to ride out this ongoing problem. But because this is a secondary vehicle, and I do need one now, I'm willing to accept some of these deletions. I'm now at my limit, though, and would have to make a real hard choice about accepting the car if any more deletions appear at delivery.

I considered the current deletions and logistic supply problems, upcoming LCI, MY2023 changeover, and delivery timing to play into my own personal upcoming plans. And in the end, I decided to go with a late 2022 model. I placed the order just before the 4th of July weekend, and took over the dealer's last MY2022 allocation, scheduled for a July 30th production. As of today, (July 13th), the status has already gone from "Scheduled for Production", to "115 Production Begins". Now comes the fun part of watching the tracker.

I've requested a September 6th PCD date. Given that the Performance Center has been very busy, I'm thinking/hoping timing should work out nicely for that to happen. That will also be part of another epic road trip journal of mine, traveling all over the North American continent as I slowly make my way back to Alaska. Assuming the chips fall into place, I hope you all will watch that--trip will take a couple months!

I tried doing the "F12 trick" talked about here, to see further detail on the production details, particularly any possible further feature deletions. But, following the instructions, I'm getting this error in this screenshot, and no details are showing up. The details shown on the actual "My Garage" page do look right though.

Hope you all will stay tuned, for the upcoming mega X5 PCD and road trip journal!

Last edited by Wild Blue; 07-18-2022 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2022, 06:43 PM   #2
Abune
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post

Didn't anticipate this. I'm suddenly and unexpectedly needing to replace our secondary family car, and have placed an order for a X5.

Last year, I bought my dream X7, and have done multiple excellent road trips, that are linked in my signature block below. It's still running great, and not going anywhere. This X5 should compliment it nicely.

I had a previous really bad experience with sales at BMW of Anchorage, written in THIS POST HERE. Their service department has been great, but, as before, I decided to go to "BMW David" Aviles instead for the sale. Got a good price, and am setting up for another PCD, to be followed by my biggest and best cross continent road trip journal yet.

The car is a MY2022 X5 xDrive 40i, with specs:
  • Arctic Grey paint
  • Black Extended Merino Leather
  • Metallic Brown Ash Grain Wood interior trim
  • Luxury line
  • Premium Package
  • Climate Comfort Package
  • Parking Assistance Package
  • Multi-contour seats
  • Space-saver Spare Tire
  • Manual rear side sunshades
  • Wireless Charging

Just lke everybody else right now, I'm hitting issues with deleted features and options. Rather concerned about how far this could go by the time the car's delivered. As it is, at time of order these weren't available:
  • Executive Package
  • Any audio system except base hi-fi
  • Trailer hitch
  • Soft close doors

And since ordering, I'm now told these items have also been removed:
  • Luxury Seating Package (note that by choosing Merino leather, the multi-contour seats are not just still available, but actually required)
  • Touchpad feature on top of iDrive controller

David has assured me no other items will be missing at time of delivery. But with the volatility of this issue, I'm worried about any number of additional things showing up missing--powered lower rear liftgate, color environmental screen, dash touchscreen, Apple Carplay, etc, etc.

Everybody has their own breaking point with these delete issues. Had this been my primary X7 I was ordering, I wouldn't have accepted any of these deletions, and waited as long as it took to ride out this ongoing problem. But because this is a secondary vehicle, and I do need one now, I'm willing to accept some of these deletions. I'm now at my limit, though, and would have to make a real hard choice about accepting the car if any more deletions appear at delivery.

I considered the current deletions and logistic supply problems, upcoming LCI, MY2023 changeover, and delivery timing to play into my own personal upcoming plans. And in the end, I decided to go with a late 2022 model. I placed the order just before the 4th of July weekend, and took over the dealer's last MY2022 allocation, scheduled for a July 30th production. As of today, (July 13th), the status has already gone from "Scheduled for Production", to "115 Production Begins". Now comes the fun part of watching the tracker.

I've requested a September 6th PCD date. Given that the Performance Center has been very busy, I'm thinking/hoping timing should work out nicely for that to happen. That will also be part of another epic road trip journal of mine, traveling all over the North American continent as I slowly make my way back to Alaska. Assuming the chips fall into place, I hope you all will watch that--trip will take a couple months!

I tried doing the "F12 trick" talked about here, to see further detail on the production details, particularly any possible further feature deletions. But, following the instructions, I'm getting this error in this screenshot, and no details are showing up. The details shown on the actual "My Garage" page do look right though.

Hope you all will stay tuned, for the upcoming mega X5 PCD and road trip journal!
- Step 1: Sign in
- Step 2: Press F12 in Homepage
- Step 3: Click My Garage.
Your informations will be showed.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 05:15 AM   #3
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Figured out what I was doing wrong with the F12 trick--assumed you had to look at the specific vehicle page, but it's just the general MyGarage with all your BMW's. Now I just gotta figure out what each feature code means.

Doing that, gives me an actual production date of July 26th, which makes sense that mine's been in status 150 Production Begins for a few days already.

Performance Center has confirmed a PCD date of September 6th, which is what I had requested. With the PC being pretty backed up right now, I was worried they'd push it back. But they actually said it was the latest they could accommodate, which would be closer to normal operations where a PCD will be a couple weeks after production, and they won't hold it more than a couple weeks after that, for insurance and liability.

So, this has started my house of cards for my big trip planning. As before, I'll be driving straight from the PCD to Extreme Colors Auto Spa for detailing and protection before starting the trip back.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 10:20 PM   #4
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This is the exciting part! Zooming through multiple steps each day. Right now, it's late Friday night on the east coast, went through the exterior body and paint booth steps to this.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 04:15 AM   #5
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

My build codes from the F12 hack. Not seeing the "032W" manual lower tailgate, but not sure if any of the others are deletions. I think 06UX is non-touch top iDrive knob

0ZAX 0ZN1 0ZN3 0ZN4 0ZPK 0ZPP 0ZRC 0ZTM 0ZX1 0ZX2 0ZX3 01CB 01CE 01CR 01SB 02TB 02VB 0212 0255 0258 03AT 03MB 0300 0302 0319 0322 04AW 04FL 04HA 04HB 04KP 04NB 04NE 04T8 04UR 0402 0417 0420 0423 0456 05AC 05AL 05AP 05AS 05AV 05DN 0552 06AC 06AE 06AK 06C4 06DR 06NW 06UX 06U3 06U8 06WD 0610 0645 0655 0676 07HW 0775 08KL 08R9 08SM 08TN 0823 0842 0845 0853 09AA 0992
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 03:44 AM   #6
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

And boom! Just like that, in one day, did the jump from step 6 to step 11. That stage always goes super quick. And on a Saturday, no less! Now I have to wait about 5 weeks for my PCD on Sept 6th. Woot woot!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 06:53 PM   #7
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:

And boom! Just like that, in one day, did the jump from step 6 to step 11. That stage always goes super quick. And on a Saturday, no less! Now I have to wait about 5 weeks for my PCD on Sept 6th. Woot woot!
So a Saturday built car? Hmmmmmmm
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2022, 07:26 PM   #8
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
So a Saturday built car? Hmmmmmmm
Yeah, the factory workers take great pride in the product they put out, and there hasn't been shown to be any difference in car build quality from any particular day of the week, to my knowledge. So, not something I'm worried about.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2022, 11:53 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Wow! You driving this back to Alaska? You got to post a trip report! Loved your X7 report.
      07-28-2022, 05:45 AM   #10
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Wow! You driving this back to Alaska? You got to post a trip report! Loved your X7 report.
Yup, it'll be coming. Likely starting in early September! Gonna be the most epic journal yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 11:09 AM   #11
nordring
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e28 M5, e34 540 M-Sport

Quote:
I've requested a September 6th PCD date. Given that the Performance Center has been very busy, I'm thinking/hoping timing should work out
Do you have any sense of the current lead time for PCD? (production date vs PCD date?)

I'm scheduled for week 33 production and hoping for PCD third week of September.

PS - Loved you last PCD thread, looking forward to the next!

PSS - I too was scheduled for a late '22 build, but couldn't get trailer hitch or luxury seating, which were deal breakers for me...so I waited for an early '23 build, and so far those options along with HK sounds ARE available on my build
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 02:16 AM   #12
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordring View Post
Do you have any sense of the current lead time for PCD? (production date vs PCD date?)

I'm scheduled for week 33 production and hoping for PCD third week of September.

PS - Loved you last PCD thread, looking forward to the next!

PSS - I too was scheduled for a late '22 build, but couldn't get trailer hitch or luxury seating, which were deal breakers for me...so I waited for an early '23 build, and so far those options along with HK sounds ARE available on my build
Yeah, maybe I should have waited for a MY23 as well, for the same option reasons. But I was pretty fixed with my PCD date need. Had there been any delays with MY23, I could have missed my PCD window. So, I got what I got.

So to answer your first question, my sense is that they're pretty busy right now, but not severely backed up for weeks. My X5 ended up being produced on Jul 22nd (early), and they said my Sept 6th PCD request was the latest date they could accommodate. Includes Labor Day weekend ending on Sep 5th. So I would estimate they're booking PCD about 3 weeks after production, which isn't terribly abnormal.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 02:36 AM   #13
xDrivex5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D G31 LCi M-sport

I loved to read your X7 trip...looking also this one
Just few questions - why not M sport and why 40i, not 45e?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 07:38 AM   #14
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrivex5 View Post
I loved to read your X7 trip...looking also this one
Just few questions - why not M sport and why 40i, not 45e?
Thanks, as a teaser, this road trip plan is already shaping up to be quite epic.

Those are good questions. My X7 is my own "forever ideal" car, which is why I went real high end. This X5 is a secondary family car. So, while I'd love to go high end for this guy (or even hold out for the upcoming XM) it's not as worth it to me to spend the money for the M50i/X5M, M Sport, or some features. As for the 45e, I'm just not on the electric bandwagon yet, waiting for technology to improve. Especially if I were to consider some other all-electric model, which I realize the 45e isn't.

Doing this cross country drive, plus driving in (very) rural Alaska, electric just doesn't work for me. Yes, the hybrid 45e would mostly work, but the 31 electric miles wouldn't have that much benefit for my situation, and from what I understand, the 45e actually gets less overall combined mileage than the 40i.
Appreciate 0