BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-10-2023, 10:10 AM   #1
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Open door fault message

In the last few days I started getting a fault message that says my door is open while driving. When the car is then put in park, display says all doors are open, hood, trunk, etc.

Has anyone run into this issue? Hoping that this is something that is temporary and I don't have to take it into the dealer.
      04-10-2023, 05:54 PM   #2
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
In the last few days I started getting a fault message that says my door is open while driving. When the car is then put in park, display says all doors are open, hood, trunk, etc.

Has anyone run into this issue? Hoping that this is something that is temporary and I don't have to take it into the dealer.
Sounds like a bad module or a bad connection. I doubt it will fix itself. You could pull the codes to see if that gives you a clue about where to look for the problem. Most auto parts stores will pull the codes for you if you don't have a code reader.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 08:33 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
i would get it looked at ASAP. some folks with this issue reported their vehicles shut down while driving when the door ajar notification occurred… not good on high speed highways!
Appreciate 1
bandersen597.00
      04-12-2023, 12:59 AM   #4
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90/G05

Quote:

I’ve come across this issue as well.
In my scenario it’s always the right rear door. Then it indicates all doors and the tailgate are open after parking.
All is fine at the next startup .However it randomly resorts back to the right rear door is open message.
This started after updating the software to version 07/2022.58
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 09:09 AM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknbimmers View Post
I’ve come across this issue as well.
In my scenario it’s always the right rear door. Then it indicates all doors and the tailgate are open after parking.
All is fine at the next startup .However it randomly resorts back to the right rear door is open message.
This started after updating the software to version 07/2022.58
This is exactly my issue
      04-13-2023, 06:17 PM   #6
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is exactly my issue
I also hate dealing with the stellarship and have not made an appointment to have it checked.
Its been stable for the last month, so I'm hoping it worked itself out.
Maybe a better idea to make an impromptu visit and see the service manager if and when the error code appears again.

Is your X5 coded by chance?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 09:18 PM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknbimmers View Post
I also hate dealing with the stellarship and have not made an appointment to have it checked.
Its been stable for the last month, so I'm hoping it worked itself out.
Maybe a better idea to make an impromptu visit and see the service manager if and when the error code appears again.

Is your X5 coded by chance?
Nope, no coding.

My error is intermittent, but fairly consistent. I'll take a photo before I book my appointment.

I'm sure they can pull the historical codes, but just in case, I'll give them the photos. Honestly, I don't mind the dealership for warranty.repair as I know it will be done correctly. My only issue is they are never clear about how long it takes. And I need the car on weekends, so I need to do the appointment where the car shows up on a Monday.

Typical experience is, day 1, the car diagnostic happens and then just sits. Day 2 order parts, day 3, parts comes in and fix performed. Day 3 end of day pick up or usually day 4. But doesn't leave a lot of buffer for in case the car needs an extra day.
      04-15-2023, 12:30 PM   #8
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nope, no coding.

My error is intermittent, but fairly consistent. I'll take a photo before I book my appointment.

I'm sure they can pull the historical codes, but just in case, I'll give them the photos. Honestly, I don't mind the dealership for warranty.repair as I know it will be done correctly. My only issue is they are never clear about how long it takes. And I need the car on weekends, so I need to do the appointment where the car shows up on a Monday.

Typical experience is, day 1, the car diagnostic happens and then just sits. Day 2 order parts, day 3, parts comes in and fix performed. Day 3 end of day pick up or usually day 4. But doesn't leave a lot of buffer for in case the car needs an extra day.
I won't get into the saga of dealing with less than competent stellarship mechanics.
I'm planning to keep an eye on the door error for now.
If you are planning to bring your X5 in please update this post with the diagnosis.

Mine is coded though I can't imagine it would any issues with the open door error. I recall reading that the latest of software upgrades locks down the DME and prevents the use of coding software.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4987.00
      04-15-2023, 09:40 PM   #9
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

The Body Control module is the most likely culprit. It has some fuses, one could be loose. Module is behind glove box area.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 12:33 PM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

i was able to get this resolved/fixed at the dealership. Main item replaced was the Door Lock Actuator Motor itself P/N 51-22-9-464-884 , a $180 part. Work performed under warranty.
      05-11-2023, 02:37 PM   #11
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i was able to get this resolved/fixed at the dealership. Main item replaced was the Door Lock Actuator Motor itself P/N 51-22-9-464-884 , a $180 part. Work performed under warranty.
Thank you for posting the resolution.
Mine has been stable since the last posted message in April. If the warning messages reappear I'll have documentation for the dealer.
Appreciate 0