BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #1
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

45e - Order to Delivery timeframe - any good guesses?

Hi I'm placing an order for 45e (thank you all for your suggestions and help). If I order this week, when do you think it'll arrive to my local dealership for pickup?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #2
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
Hi I'm placing an order for 45e (thank you all for your suggestions and help). If I order this week, when do you think it'll arrive to my local dealership for pickup?
The big question is whether your dealer have an allocation?

If they do, what week will it be produced?
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #3
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
This is exactly the question that you'll need to pose to your dealer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
If you they have allocation or don't know then it's a bad sign.

Otherwise your question has been posed in the Pricing, Ordering, Tracking subforum:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=744

Another 45e incoming!
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1859753

45e build time
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1850444

New to BMW. Ordered a 45e
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1867436

This is exactly the question that you'll need to pose to your dealer:

Quote:
If you they have allocation or don't know then it's a bad sign.

Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      10-21-2021, 02:26 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

This gets discussed frequently...the dealer doesn't automatically get a vehicle when he sells one...he uses one of his allocations. He can use an allocation for his stock, or modify it to meet a particular customer's desires. He knows what his allocations are based on a week window, and once BMW accepts his order, it will be confirmed. This could be anywhere from a few days away (rare, but possible) to many, many months away (that's often the case in some other markets where people may wait nearly a year for a custom order).

When your dealer took your order, he already knew what slots he had, and should have been able to tell you the production week...then, depending on where you live, give an estimate on how long it would take for shipping. BMW typically acknowledges the order in 1-2 business days of it being submitted, and from then, it usually is just a waiting game until that time happens. A customer order versus a dealer for stock gets prioritized for the WEEK of the allocation, but not necessarily for the day, then, parts shortages might delay things. Mine was delayed nearly a month because of the seats being backordered. BMW buys a lot of the stuff from their vendors, and while they have a lot of leverage, today's supply situation has messed up normal operations.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18180.50
      10-21-2021, 03:03 PM   #5
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
I was about to say the same thing.

I'll give you my timeline.

July 18th finalized what i wanted as a buildout for my X5 M50i
July 24th: got production number
Aug 10: entered production (point of no return to make changes)
Aug 21: began its march down the assembly line and was completed that day
Aug 24: car started its cross-country train trip to CA
Sep 8th: Arrived at the San Bernardino hub
Sep 11th: in transit to dealership
Sep 18th: took delivery of car...smiles and super happy vibes have followed ever since

Congrats on the new ride...the wait is painful..especially when it leaves the plant and you can track the train's progress by calling Norfolk Southern and finding out what small town it has passed through
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      10-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #6
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobies818 View Post

Sep 18th: took delivery of car...smiles and super happy vibes have followed ever since

Congrats on the new ride...the wait is painful..especially when it leaves the plant and you can track the train's progress by calling Norfolk Southern and finding out what small town it has passed through
thanks, but WOW it took them almost a month to reach your dealership after the car was assembled/comploeted??
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 04:18 PM   #7
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks, but WOW it took them almost a month to reach your dealership after the car was assembled/comploeted??
pretty much...the car arrived shortly after it was on final transport to the dealer but it was also during the busiest part of my fiscal year at work so i had no opportunity to make it to the dealership during the week (i purchased at a dealer that can be considered semi-local...but with LA traffic...it might as well be on the other side of the planet)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 05:54 PM   #8
boba_balla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e Phytonic Blue

Quote:
We're on the West Coast and many members here have said it takes about 3 weeks for the car to get out here. Your profile location says you're in TX so not sure how long it would take from the factory to get to TX. Here is my timeline so far based on the MyBMW site:

8/3 = Submitted order and placed deposit
8/7 = Production Begins
8/14 = Entering Assembly Line
8/16 = Quality Check
8/17 = Awaiting Carrier Assignment
9/30 = Dispatched from Factory
10/5 = In Transit

Dealer contacted me last week and says it should be arriving at the nearby port soon, and car should be at the dealership before the end of the month.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #9
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

If your dealer has an allocation, meaning you get a production number right away, you can pretty much count on 5-6 weeks give or take.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:24 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Keep in mind, an allocation means an opportunity to have a vehicle built. The dealer can make up his mind on whether to use that allocation for a customer's custom order, OR, to complete for his stock of available vehicles. Depending on IF he has any allocations coming up that he is willing or able to allocate to you, is partly his decision. The dealership where I usually work with, right now has about 20% of their normal stock vehicles, ready for someone to walk in and drive off...most of their allocations are going to people that want something specific and are willing to wait for it to be built. The dealer has to juggle whether he wants the vehicle for his stock for that walk-in customer that wants to drive one home right away, or use that allocation for a customer willing to wait...it's a balance of when the cash flow will come in, and what he's willing to do.

Until you get a confirmation from BMW, it's all just hype and wishful thinking. BUt, if the dealership is being honest with you, and they assigned one of their allocations to you, within a few days, BMW should confirm it for you and they should be able to tell you exactly what week it should be built. My dealer has pretty much all of its allocations assigned for quite awhile into the future. NOt all operate in the same manner...depends on their volume, and how many allocations they have and what they want to do with them. They don't automatically get an allocation because they have a sales contract in hand, they use one they already had.

How many, and when they happen, gets renegotiated periodically between the dealers and corporate. I don't have any insight on how that happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:35 PM   #11
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Keep in mind, an allocation means an opportunity to have a vehicle built. The dealer can make up his mind on whether to use that allocation for a customer's custom order, OR, to complete for his stock of available vehicles. Depending on IF he has any allocations coming up that he is willing or able to allocate to you, is partly his decision. The dealership where I usually work with, right now has about 20% of their normal stock vehicles, ready for someone to walk in and drive off...most of their allocations are going to people that want something specific and are willing to wait for it to be built. The dealer has to juggle whether he wants the vehicle for his stock for that walk-in customer that wants to drive one home right away, or use that allocation for a customer willing to wait...it's a balance of when the cash flow will come in, and what he's willing to do.

Until you get a confirmation from BMW, it's all just hype and wishful thinking. BUt, if the dealership is being honest with you, and they assigned one of their allocations to you, within a few days, BMW should confirm it for you and they should be able to tell you exactly what week it should be built. My dealer has pretty much all of its allocations assigned for quite awhile into the future. NOt all operate in the same manner...depends on their volume, and how many allocations they have and what they want to do with them. They don't automatically get an allocation because they have a sales contract in hand, they use one they already had.

How many, and when they happen, gets renegotiated periodically between the dealers and corporate. I don't have any insight on how that happens.
The 45e is one of the most desirable BMWs right now...no dealer is using their allocations for lot inventory. They are selling them as fast as they are assigned them, most at a premium. It's the easiest and most profitable thing they can do with their allocations.

That's why most dealer lots, if they have stock at all, are filled with the slow sellers.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:52 PM   #12
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba_balla View Post
We're on the West Coast and many members here have said it takes about 3 weeks for the car to get out here. Your profile location says you're in TX so not sure how long it would take from the factory to get to TX. Here is my timeline so far based on the MyBMW site:

8/7 = Production Begins
8/16 = Quality Check
10/5 = In Transit

Dealer contacted me last week and says it should be arriving at the nearby port soon, and car should be at the dealership before the end of the month.
I would say your X's rail terminus would be the same as mine...San Bernardino, but from there...trucked northbound to you in the bay area
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:00 PM   #13
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

I ordered 9/14 in Va. The car went to production on 10/12, is scheduled to be done being produced on 10/23. I am expecting I'll be getting a call next week from the dealer. The following week at the latest.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:02 PM   #14
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The factory can only build so many vehicles...the key is WHEN the dealer's allocation is, and if he'll assign it to you...there may be LOTS Of people ahead of you in the queue. If he's forthright, you should have a build week within a few days of your order to him. Parts shortages may impact things, but your dealer should have a reasonable idea when you write up the order of what's available and if there are delays. Until the order is accepted by corporate, you won't know much more.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:05 AM   #15
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:

Wow. West coast delivery truly is 3 weeks huh? Btw, my production week is almost exactly 2 months to the date of your dates. Mine entered production on October 11 and assembly Oct 22. Like you, I'm really busy the week that it arrives. So I've pre-scheduled Nov 19 as my pickup date.

I really want this car before Thanksgiving

Last edited by Flying Ace; 10-22-2021 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:06 AM   #16
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba_balla View Post

8/7 = Production Begins
8/16 = Quality Check
10/5 = In Transit

Wow, your delivery got all f'ed up. WTF happened? 2 months? I would be livid.
      10-22-2021, 12:10 AM   #17
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I would say your X's rail terminus would be the same as mine...San Bernardino, but from there...trucked northbound to you in the bay area
No, Bay Area deliveries goes to Richmond, CA. I personally know a secret spot you can sit and watch the cars being off-loaded from the trains
      10-22-2021, 12:21 AM   #18
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you've been watching the news, one thing you should realize is that trucks of any sort are often hard to find, so it can take awhile to move anything around anywhere. You can blame lots of things, but one is the pandemic that has made some avoid the job, some retire, some just staying home, and those that are interested, finding it difficult to find a school or pass the test through lack of experience.

You can blame Congress for letting the rails wither in many places as well. New vehicles, coming from both Asia, and through the canal to the west coast are stuck waiting to be unloaded. AN X5 from SC will likely use trucks and rail. Mine sat for over a week waiting carrier assignment after being built, but all in all, since NH is closer, I had it in a little over 2-weeks after it was built, but it was delayed in getting built because the seats were on backorder for a month. So, ordered late June 2020, delivered 8 Sep 2020 to NH. STill for those in say England or Belgium, that's probably 3-4 times faster than they can get theirs.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:22 AM   #19
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

My dealer had allocation for X5 hybrid.
Ordered on August 30th, started production somewhere on Sep 10-11th. Sep 23th was at the dealership already.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:48 AM   #20
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
This gets discussed frequently...the dealer doesn't automatically get a vehicle when he sells one...he uses one of his allocations. He can use an allocation for his stock, or modify it to meet a particular customer's desires. .
Once ordered a 330d.
The dealer reconfigured an already allocated one ,with the same color, that was ordered for stock. Could not do changes since it was going into production 14 days later. Took them 3 days to build. 5 days to ship from Germany to Belgium and a few days of paperwork. Was driving the build-to-spec car in less than 4 weeks. :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #21
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
My dealer had allocation for X5 hybrid.
Ordered on August 30th, started production somewhere on Sep 10-11th. Sep 23th was at the dealership already.
Awesome - that was pretty fast for 45e
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 10:12 AM   #22
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Awesome - that was pretty fast for 45e
That's an example of dealer swapping out a dealer lot build to a customer build. Given the quick turnaround between order date and production date and look like they literally put it in on the last possible day before the car was locked in.