BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-07-2023, 03:12 AM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
X5 vs Cayenne

I currently on an F-15 X5. It has been a great car, but I’m thinking about moving up to a Porsche Cayenne for my next family car.

I recently test drove a certified preowned GTS 2021 at my local Porsche dealer. It seemed amazing I’m cross shopping it against an M 50 or X5M.

I can pick up a really nice well-equipped Cayenne GTS for about 100k.

I’m curious if any of you have a crush out the same cars and what your thoughts are I think Bmw has better options and there’s better equipped for the same money but the driving dynamics are better on the Cayenne.

I currently have an M550 and my F15. I think I’m ready for something different than a BMW - like a P car - but I get some input from the board.

I still love my F15. I’m going to hang onto it and let my 17 year old use it. What a life to be 17-year-old and driving an X5 with 20s….

Too bad I’m not buying a 911…🤣
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 05:04 AM   #2
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1997723
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 05:05 AM   #3
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
The exact same thread was just made a few days ago. If you look back on the board you will find it. It was last posted on 3.5.23.

Overwhelming majority think the “Porsche tax”, I.e premium, is too large just for better driving dynamics.

Everyone agrees - bmw has better tech, more options for the same money. Better performance for the same money. Bmw is the better value.

That being said, If money is no issue, most who have had both will say get the Porsche.

I’ve got an m550. To me it feels a little like something is missing with the car. It’s fast as heck but for whatever reason I found the cayenne more enjoyable. I’ve only driven the cayenne S, but I agree with you, the cayenne drives better..
Appreciate 1
jmack1231302.00
      03-07-2023, 09:10 AM   #4
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep

911 drives better than a cayenne, cayenne better than x5, x5 better than volvo xc90, xc90 better than a telluride, etc etc.

Do need a sporty SUV for family hauling or daily driving? It makes more sense to have a sporty sedan, suv... maybe not so much. You know your use case more that us.

I personally look for a quiet and comfortable SUV, for which X5 exceeds. The refinement, NVH isolation is great.
Appreciate 4
PLF693770.00
CGG171.50
volodp199.50
      03-07-2023, 11:23 AM   #5
fan25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5 45e

Garage List
Even though there are threads talking about the comparison between x5 and Cayenne, the meaning is different.

When I compare x5 40i/45e va Cayenne base/e-hybrid, I’ll consider more on the equipments, price/practicality ratio, and future repair/maintenance cost.

However, if comparing m50i/x5m vs GTS, I’ll care more about what GTS will bring me but m50i/x5m will not: many optional equipments are standard on GTS, Sport Chrono, sport design package as standard(so sexy to me), gts alcantara interior, and of course the stuttgart shield badge

Therefore if it’s 45e/40i vs Cayenne base, I’ll go for x5, but for this thread, I’ll all in Cayenne GTS
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 12:37 PM   #6
DeepFly52
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayenne GTS, 911 (991.2), x45e

I just sold my Cayenne (2021 GTS Coupe) about a month ago, I had it for two years. I probably took advantage of 50% of its potential, in other words I mostly drove it within city speed limits with occasional spirited driving and hardly went over 80 on the freeway. It was my "hauler" for my road bike, I put about 8K miles on it in those two years as I split time driving it with my A6.

Looking back I know I bought it because I just wanted to have a car that had all that performance esp with a Porsche badge, but for my actual use it was more than I needed. Getting older I've noticed I don't like the loud cold starts as much, lol, and stop light racing was a thing of the past. (The GTS has one of the best sounding exhausts I've owned, better than 911 with sport exhaust IMO). If I could afford to collect cars I would definitely have kept the GTS, though.

I've now put in an order for a 2023 45e. I'd prefer to get the extended range of the 50e but after playing with iDrive 8 in the showroom and seeing the lack of certain buttons the 2024 will have, I'll be more than happy with the 2023 setup. I think iDrive 7 is many steps ahead compared to the PCM in the Porsche. I did like the feel of the buttons better in the Cayenne, pushing the different mode buttons in the X5 (for electric, sport, hybrid) felt really weird and not communicative.

When I configured the X5 I was shocked at everything that was included in the final price. Every option checked off came to 40k under my Cayenne (although I had rear wheel steering and soft close doors on the Cayenne, which I liked).

In hindsight if I had bought the Cayenne plug-in instead of the GTS I would have most likely kept it, I just didn't realize at the time that my needs as I've gotten older have changed.
Appreciate 6
      03-07-2023, 02:28 PM   #7
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFly52 View Post
I just sold my Cayenne (2021 GTS Coupe) about a month ago, I had it for two years. I probably took advantage of 50% of its potential, in other words I mostly drove it within city speed limits with occasional spirited driving and hardly went over 80 on the freeway. It was my "hauler" for my road bike, I put about 8K miles on it in those two years as I split time driving it with my A6.

Looking back I know I bought it because I just wanted to have a car that had all that performance esp with a Porsche badge, but for my actual use it was more than I needed. Getting older I've noticed I don't like the loud cold starts as much, lol, and stop light racing was a thing of the past. (The GTS has one of the best sounding exhausts I've owned, better than 911 with sport exhaust IMO). If I could afford to collect cars I would definitely have kept the GTS, though.

I've now put in an order for a 2023 45e. I'd prefer to get the extended range of the 50e but after playing with iDrive 8 in the showroom and seeing the lack of certain buttons the 2024 will have, I'll be more than happy with the 2023 setup. I think iDrive 7 is many steps ahead compared to the PCM in the Porsche. I did like the feel of the buttons better in the Cayenne, pushing the different mode buttons in the X5 (for electric, sport, hybrid) felt really weird and not communicative.

When I configured the X5 I was shocked at everything that was included in the final price. Every option checked off came to 40k under my Cayenne (although I had rear wheel steering and soft close doors on the Cayenne, [...]
This is a great post. Thank you for sharing. It’s great that you had the awareness to perceive the transition you were going through with your driving style. I am more and more in the same camp but can’t seem to settle down in it as much as I probably should!
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2023, 08:29 AM   #8
23109VC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFly52 View Post

When I configured the X5 I was shocked at everything that was included in the final price. Every option checked off came to 40k under my Cayenne (although I had rear wheel steering and soft close doors on the Cayenne, [...]
Thanks!
My wife says she wants something other than BMW… she wants something different. So even though an M50 X5 is probably a better value after she test drove the Cayenne GTS she was sold…

Car prices seem to be falling. I’m tempted to wait a few months. I probably save 10 grand.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 08:35 AM   #9
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
I currently on an F-15 X5. It has been a great car, but I’m thinking about moving up to a Porsche Cayenne for my next family car.

I recently test drove a certified preowned GTS 2021 at my local Porsche dealer. It seemed amazing I’m cross shopping it against an M 50 or X5M.

I’m curious if any of you have a crush out the same cars and what your thoughts are I think Bmw has better options and there’s better equipped for the same money but the driving dynamics are better on the Cayenne.

I currently have an M550 and my F15. I think I’m ready for something different than a BMW - like a P car - but I get some input from the board.

I still love my F15. I’m going to hang onto it and let my 17 year old use it. What a life to be 17-year-old and driving an X5 with 20s….

Haha… nice. Just get a 911, ur 17 yo will appreciate it even more. Being said, i just bought a recon 911 Carrera T in 2022. Just ordered an X5 45e for the wifey. Cant wait to drive
      03-08-2023, 08:44 AM   #10
23109VC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaleyess View Post
Haha… nice. Just get a 911, ur 17 yo will appreciate it even more. Being said, i just bought a recon 911 Carrera T in 2022. Just ordered an X5 45e for the wifey. Cant wait to drive
I soooo want a 911. It is my dream car. New ones are too much for me, but used/CPOs are in the ballpark

I have been watching prices on them, they seem to be coming down…slowly, but dropping.

I just can’t bring myself tos pend $140k on a CPO 911 4S when a few years ago a good friend bought a CPO 991 TURBO for same money or a bit LESS…. They are stil overpriced compared to the pre COVID market.

Sucks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 11:05 AM   #11
DeepFly52
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayenne GTS, 911 (991.2), x45e

Quote:
I soooo want a 911. It is my dream car. New ones are too much for me, but used/CPOs are in the ballpark

I have been watching prices on them, they seem to be coming down…slowly, but dropping.

I just can’t bring myself tos pend $140k on a CPO 911 4S when a few years ago a good friend bought a CPO 991 TURBO for same money or a bit LESS…. They are stil overpriced compared to the pre COVID market.

Sucks!!
You should try to make it out to their Experience Center for a day in Carson (not sure how far it is from you in S CA), one of the funnest days I've ever had. I chose a GT3 for my ride.
Appreciate 1
cptcolo103.50
      03-08-2023, 11:50 AM   #12
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Quote:

Sucks!!
140k for a CPO? 992? Tats a great deal. My 2018 991.2 Carrera T is around $145k. Car price from where i am leaving is freaking high.

Being said, my X5 45e quite fully loades is $92k based on today’s conversion. Anyway, once u have the spare cash. Go for 911, u will never go wrong.
      03-08-2023, 11:59 PM   #13
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I also have been looking for 911. Particular 997.1 S, 6 speed. 997.1 because I want port inject engine. S because I like NA engine. The catch is 6 speed is also the more expansive config, more sort after, less for sale. I am keeping my figure cross
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 10:20 AM   #14
23109VC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I actually went and test drove a 2021 Cayenne GTS last night. The thing drives awesome!

My daily driver is a 2018 M550 and in my opinion My BMW in a straight line is faster than the Cayenne but in the overall feeling of the car, the Cayenne GTS feels more aggressive and sportier when you have an sport plus mode it sounds more aggressive. It shifts extremely fast. It has more pops in crackles and burbles than my car and the handling was insane.

The Cayenne GTS handles like a sports car or a sport sedan it does not feel like an SUV. I understand why people pay extra for these things.

The downside is that all the extra options are incredibly expensive. The car that I drove had an MSRP of 125. It did not have adaptive cruise control does not have a heated steering wheel. No ventilated seats no massaging seats no adaptive cruise control all kinds of things that are standard on six-figure cars are missing.

I understand that many people purchase a Porsche Cayenne because they want the driving dynamics but in this price Eggman, it does seem kind of outrageous that basic technology options are missing

You can buy a brand new civic touring for about 30 grand and that car has adaptive cruise control and active, driving assistance to maintain the travel within your lane. You would think if Honda can put self driving features in a cheap little civic, the Porsche could incorporate those features into a car that cost as much as the Cayenne.

I am struggling to find a way to spend six figures on a car when it’s missing some of these features that came as standard on my M550 I travel in freeway quite a bit, and the adaptive cruise control and self driving features while not necessary or very nice to have my massaging seats are not necessary but nice to have and once you get used to these creature comforts, it’s hard to get rid of them Especially when you’re spending that much money I am going to go look at an X5M and see if I think that’s better value
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 11:11 AM   #15
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan25 View Post
Even though there are threads talking about the comparison between x5 and Cayenne, the meaning is different.

When I compare x5 40i/45e va Cayenne base/e-hybrid, I’ll consider more on the equipments, price/practicality ratio, and future repair/maintenance cost.

However, if comparing m50i/x5m vs GTS, I’ll care more about what GTS will bring me but m50i/x5m will not: many optional equipments are standard on GTS, Sport Chrono, sport design package as standard(so sexy to me), gts alcantara interior, and of course the stuttgart shield badge

Therefore if it’s 45e/40i vs Cayenne base, I’ll go for x5, but for this thread, I’ll all in Cayenne GTS

Good point. Many and the other thread are comparing 40i and 45e with the Cayenne equivalent. I will say that if you're comparing the M50i vs GTS and or X5M with Turbo, thread is better placed in the X5M sub forum.
      03-09-2023, 01:56 PM   #16
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I actually went and test drove a 2021 Cayenne GTS last night. The thing drives awesome!

My daily driver is a 2018 M550 and in my opinion My BMW in a straight line is faster than the Cayenne but in the overall feeling of the car, the Cayenne GTS feels more aggressive and sportier when you have an sport plus mode it sounds more aggressive. It shifts extremely fast. It has more pops in crackles and burbles than my car and the handling was insane.

The Cayenne GTS handles like a sports car or a sport sedan it does not feel like an SUV. I understand why people pay extra for these things.

The downside is that all the extra options are incredibly expensive. The car that I drove had an MSRP of 125. It did not have adaptive cruise control does not have a heated steering wheel. No ventilated seats no massaging seats no adaptive cruise control all kinds of things that are standard on six-figure cars are missing.

I understand that many people purchase a Porsche Cayenne because they want the driving dynamics but in this price Eggman, it does seem kind of outrageous that basic technology options are missing

You can buy a brand new civic touring for about 30 grand and that car has adaptive cruise control and active, driving assistance to maintain the travel within your lane. You would think if Honda can put self driving features in a cheap little civic, the Porsche could incorporate those features into a car that cost as much as the Cayenne.

I am struggling to find a way to spend six figures on a car when it’s missing some of these features that came as standard on my M550 I [...]
Ugh - this post makes me want the cayenne that much more. I’m driving the m550 as well and test drove just the S and still preferred that over the bmw products. I’m leaning e hybrid so I can keep the remote start creature comfort and I like the more instant tq from the electric motor. That 0-40 acceleration is where it’s at!! Going thru the twisties would be a ton of fun too.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 04:53 PM   #17
Eric500
um...
Rep
Drives: LC500

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...n-2022-profits

get ready to pay more, EV development costs spreading into ICE pricing too.

Base Cayenne about to start close to 80K before options. However, I expect them to add much more as standard like they did with the Macan refresh (basics like memory seats, comfort access, better wheels)
      03-14-2023, 05:31 PM   #18
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep

What about Audi q8/sq8?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 05:37 PM   #19
Eric500
um...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwx5z View Post
What about Audi q8/sq8?
I think the Q8 is already priced in line with the X6 and Audi doesn't have the brand strength of porsche, they would be foolish to raise that much higher than bmw.

I already struggle to see the value cayenne brings over a comparable X5.
      03-14-2023, 05:56 PM   #20
23109VC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
So I test drove the X5 and Cayenne same day - back too back.

I drove a brand new M50i and X5M Competition at my dealer. The M50 was very nice, rode really smooth in comfort mode. As soon as I have it a significant amount of throttle the car was very unstable and floaty. Even in sport + mode - the car road like a boat. I did not care for it at all. There is too much power for the chassis. I honestly think it’s a big waste of money to put that much power in that car. It cannot handle it. If I was going to buy a new X5 I would get the base model and just use it to shuttle around town to get groceries and go on road trips but there’s way too much horsepower in that car. I understand it’s an SUV and it’s not meant to be a sports car, but the car floated and felt unstable when it was under throttle.

I drove the X5M immediately afterward there was a significant difference in the feel of the car. It was much flatter in the handling, and the ride was noticeably more firm as expected. I did not think the ride was uncomfortable, but it did ride pretty firm, and I found myself thinking it would not be comfortable as a daily driver car at least not to me. I also found the car to feel very heavy like I was driving around in a tank that went real fast.

I drove the Porsche Cayenne within an hour. It was a GTS model. There is no comparison. None. The Porsche Cayenne drives circles around any of the X5’s, even the competition model. The cayenne sounds better, rides better, and handles better. I would take a Cayenne GTS over the X5M any day, even though the GTS is supposedly a little bit slower. My seat of the pants observation I felt like the GTS was at least as fast as the and 50 but it felt so much better because it was so planted and stable.

The fit and finish in the Cayenne feels noticeably better however, you don’t get as many features for your money. If you equipped the Cayenne on the same level as the X5 models you’re going to pay significantly more for the Porsche. If I was going to buy one of these cars, I would sacrifice on some of the text features and take the GTS over the X5.
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9731.00
GordoCLM249.00
cptcolo103.50
      03-14-2023, 05:59 PM   #21
Eric500
um...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwx5z View Post
What about Audi q8/sq8?
Quote:
So I test drove the X5 and Cayenne same day - back too back.

I drove a brand new M50i and X5M Competition at my dealer. The M50 was very nice, rode really smooth in comfort mode. As soon as I have it a significant amount of throttle the car was very unstable and floaty. Even in sport + mode - the car road like a boat. I did not care for it at all. There is too much power for the chassis. I honestly think it’s a big waste of money to put that much power in that car. It cannot handle it. If I was going to buy a new X5 I would get the base model and just use it to shuttle around town to get groceries and go on road trips but there’s way too much horsepower in that car. I understand it’s an SUV and it’s not meant to be a sports car, but the car floated and felt unstable when it was under throttle.

I drove the X5M immediately afterward there was a significant difference in the feel of the car. It was much flatter in the handling, and the ride was noticeably more firm as expected. I did not think the ride was uncomfortable, but it did ride pretty firm, and I found myself thinking it would not be comfortable as a daily driver car at least not to me. I also found the car to feel very heavy like I was driving around in a tank that went real fast.

I drove the Porsche Cayenne within an hour. It was a GTS model. There is no comparison. None. The Porsche Cayenne drives circles around any of the X5’s, even the competition model. The cayenne sounds better, rides better, and handles better. I would take a Cayenne GTS over the X5M any day, even though the GTS is supposedly a little bit slower. My seat of the pants observation I felt like the GTS was at least as fast as the and 50 but it felt so much better because it was so planted and stable.

The fit and finish in the Cayenne feels noticeably better however, you don’t get as many features for your money. If you equipped the Cayenne on the same level as the X5 models you’re going to pay significantly more for the Porsche. If I was going to buy one of these cars, I would sacrifice on some of the text features and take the GTS over the X5.
fair assessment. I myself would be in the base vs base or even the plug in with my budget, so my perspective is a little different.
      03-14-2023, 07:01 PM   #22
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

Quote:

Only real Porsche for me are the Cayman and the 911. The rest are just there to financially support the Cayman and the 911. LOL. I cross shopped a Cayenne too but its smaller. Both Interior and Cargo. I also hate the all glass cockpit and piano black interior that they got from Audi.
Appreciate 1
cptcolo103.50