BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-23-2023, 12:06 AM   #1
Plex774x
Registered
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW X5 M-Sport

Question Newbie X5 owner - Need DIY Maintenance info

Hello all,

Newbie '21 G05 X5 owner here. Been studying and researching the car, really like it. I have some questions.

1) I know the B58 is super reliable, but is there anything else I should watch out for or anticipate? I heard the air suspension tends to fail, or was this more common with the previous model X5?

2) I'm a DIY guy. After my new car warranty is finished (in 1 year/10,000mi more), I want to be able to do my own oil change, spark plugs, intake, cabin filter, battery swap, brake pads, brake rotors, and perhaps tranny fluid.

•Oil change - Seems easy based on a Youtube video I found.
•Spark plugs - Straightforward
•Intake - Really straighforward. I plan on upgrading to the BMS intake kit after the warranty is done
•Cabin filter - Where is this located???? How many?
•Battery swap - I know there are three batteries: Front, hybrid, and rear. The rear one is the main one. Seems easy to swap. I plan on using bimmercode/bimmerlink to register. Is this the same process for the front one? How hard is it to remove the front one?
•Brake pads - Need more info on how to do this
•Brake rotors - Need more info on how to do this
•Tranny fluid - Contemplating whether or not. How difficult is it?

...or is the BMW Maintenance plan worth the cost? My father told me he paid $800 for 2 years for basic maintenance.

I believe that's all I have for now. Any more info appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 03:28 PM   #2
saltwaterstud
Rep
Drives: X3

Garage List
2020 X5  [0.00]
Im in the same boat as you.
Brake pads and rotors are standard, nothing special if you have done that before.
Cabin filters there is one under the dash, there are YT videos I have found.
I can only speak to the one battery on my '20 X5 non hybrid in the rear where the spare tire is under the plastic cover. Changing batteries on a newer BMW will require the car be "told" via Bimmerlink or yourself with a scanner tool.
For tranny and diffs, i let dealer do that.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 11:08 AM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I've maintained my previous BMWs outside of the dealership. I typically buy OEM parts to save about 10%-20% or so off walk-up price. However, most savings are from labor, obviously doing it yourself is where all the value is. I typically DIY oil and air filter and leave everything else to the shop.

I went the path of bringing the parts to independent BMW shops, and here in a metro area, the labor rates are not that far off the dealer labor rates. I didn't mind searching, sourcing all the parts nor finding specific shops, e.g. a shop that works on the brakes vs plug change. Where the dealer pricing really adds up is the parts pricing IMO. They wont' let you bring in your own parts even if it is labeled as OEM, otherwise I would do dealer labor every time.
      05-11-2023, 11:26 AM   #4
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i

Do some research on the pads. I guess when doing the rears, you may need a computer reset or something like that, regardless of whether or not you replace the sensor cable.

The cabin air filters - there are two and typically sold in the two packs. Located under the front passenger seat well. There are a couple of youtube videos showing it. Careful with the plastic clips etc, easy to break!

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 12:10 PM   #5
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex774x View Post
Hello all,

Newbie '21 G05 X5 owner here. Been studying and researching the car, really like it. I have some questions.

1) I know the B58 is super reliable, but is there anything else I should watch out for or anticipate? I heard the air suspension tends to fail, or was this more common with the previous model X5?

2) I'm a DIY guy. After my new car warranty is finished (in 1 year/10,000mi more), I want to be able to do my own oil change, spark plugs, intake, cabin filter, battery swap, brake pads, brake rotors, and perhaps tranny fluid.

•Oil change - Seems easy based on a Youtube video I found.
•Spark plugs - Straightforward
•Intake - Really straighforward. I plan on upgrading to the BMS intake kit after the warranty is done
•Cabin filter - Where is this located???? How many?
•Battery swap - I know there are three batteries: Front, hybrid, and rear. The rear one is the main one. Seems easy to swap. I plan on using bimmercode/bimmerlink to register. Is this the same process for the front one? How hard is it to remove the front one?
•Brake pads - Need more info on how to do this
•Brake rotors - Need more info on how to do this
•Tranny fluid - Contemplating whether or not. How difficult is it?

...or is the BMW Maintenance plan worth the cost? My father told me he paid $800 for 2 years for basic maintenance.

I believe that's all I have for now. Any more info appreciated. Thanks!
for routine maintenance, additional item I can think of is brake fluid. They should be changed every 2-3 years regardless of mile driven. it is technically simple but tedious job for DIYer, because each wheel needs to be come off at some point.

Out of this list, I would say oil and tran fluid are the two maintenance items that needs to be kept tracked. it won't give you many warming if you miss until something break.

Battery, brakes and sparks, you will know they are on their way. Plenty of warming. And they don't cause non-reversible damage.

air filter and cabin filter are more something need to keep track, but missing schedule won't cause non-reversible damage either.