BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-09-2022, 11:11 PM   #1
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

XM radio notification

I'm still in my XM trial period. I use the notify feature where the radio sends a message when my identified artist is playing. How do it manage this list?
      08-10-2022, 08:29 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I don't have your version of iDrive...so I can't give the exact way to do it...but it isn't that difficult.

You use the OPTION button next to the iDrive control knob when you pull up the FAVORITES LIST. You will need to have Satellite Radio selected... You can then use the controller knob to select FAVORITES...then MANAGE FAVORITES. But most importantly, there should be a selection to go to the owners manual (built into iDrive) if what you see doesn't make sense...by pressing the OPTION button.

You can see in the pics below from my older version of iDrive how going to SATELLITE RADIO then scrolling down to FAV..the MANAGE FAVs gets you to where you can see your favs...or enter/delete a fav:

In pic below I selected to enter a new song title "Never Lost" to favs (by CeCe Winans):

In pics below I go into MANAGE FAVs & you can see TWO song titles that have been saved to FAVs ("Never Lost" & "When I Pray")...and you can see that the "ALERT" has been activated which notifies when these songs are being played:

In pic below...If I select the song title "Never Lost"...then click the OPTION button next to the iDrive control knob...I get a prompt that allows me to DELETE this song title. If I do the same thing for the other song ("When I Pray")...I can delete that song, too:

And in the pics below, you can see that I also DEACTIVATED the alert as well:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-10-2022 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 08:15 PM   #3
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I'm still in my XM trial period. I use the notify feature where the radio sends a message when my identified artist is playing. How do it manage this list?
With iDrive 7, once you choose to be reminded when an artist/song is about to play, there is no way to delete it.
Though I imagine a complete factory reset would do it. But that will eliminate many other settings throughout the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 10:03 AM   #4
cdchris1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
With iDrive 7, once you choose to be reminded when an artist/song is about to play, there is no way to delete it.
Though I imagine a complete factory reset would do it. But that will eliminate many other settings throughout the car.
Actually, you can. If you go into media, then select Sirius XM and choose a station. If you hit the Option button, it will bring up a menu where you can choose Manage Favorites. From there you can toggle which reminders are active and also delete the ones you no longer want. Very similar to the above post in the previous iDrive version.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 04:41 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdchris1 View Post
Actually, you can. ...
...thanks for providing some iDrive7 insight on how to go about deleting saved favorites. I haven't had time to download an iDrive7 owners manual to do any research...and I don't know anyone that has iDrive7 where I could access the built in owners manual.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 08:35 PM   #6
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, you can. If you go into media, then select Sirius XM and choose a station. If you hit the Option button, it will bring up a menu where you can choose Manage Favorites. From there you can toggle which reminders are active and also delete the ones you no longer want. Very similar to the above post in the previous iDrive version.
Manage favorite channels, yes, but you can't delete a favorite artist/song that you previously selected to be reminded of when that artist/song plays again.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 08:47 PM   #7
cdchris1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Manage favorite channels, yes, but you can't delete a favorite artist/song that you previously selected to be reminded of when that artist/song plays again.
No, that is to manage the reminders that pop up like the OP was asking about, not the favorites that you can scroll through. There is a different location to edit for favorite stations.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 12:57 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So, I finally had a chance to download an iDrive7 navigation/entertainment owners manual…which can also be pulled up on the iDrive screen for those that have iDrive7. If you pull up the satellite radio…you can quickly access the owners manual by pressing the OPTION button and select to display the owners manual. You can then scroll through it to find saving/deleting FAVORITES which should include not only stations, but artist, song titles, sport teams, etc.

As you can see in the pages below…an artist, song title, or sports team can be saved/deleted to/from favorites…as well as NOTIFICATIONS being activated/deactivated. And like in older versions…deactivating notifications is done by using the OPTION button.

The 2 pages below cover artists, song titles, and notifications…but there are more pages preceding and proceeding these pages that cover saving/deleting channels that have been stored to favorites, too.
Attached Images

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-16-2022 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 02:21 AM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
So, I finally had a chance to download an iDrive7 navigation/entertainment owners manual…which can also be pulled up on the iDrive screen for those that have iDrive7.
Thank you! After 10 years of telling others on the forum to , i should have

TBH, i knew about the option button, (i've had it in my CIC ID) but I didn't know i had to toggle to the right hand menu before hitting option button to get the full option menu!!
      08-13-2022, 08:33 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

…great news…glad you were able to deactivate the notifications.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 07:22 PM   #11
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
So, I finally had a chance to download an iDrive7 navigation/entertainment owners manual…which can also be pulled up on the iDrive screen for those that have iDrive7. If you pull up the satellite radio…you can quickly access the owners manual by the pressing the OPTION button and select to display the owners manual. You can then scroll through it to find saving/deleting FAVORITES which should include not only stations, but artist, song titles, sport teams, etc.

As you can see in the pages below…an artist, song title, or sports team can be saved/deleted to/from favorites…as well as NOTIFICATIONS being activated/deactivated. And like in older versions…deactivating notifications is done by using the OPTION button.

The 2 pages below cover artists, song titles, and notifications…but there are more pages preceding and proceeding these pages that cover saving/deleting channels that have been stored to favorites, too.
Thank you. I also have the separate infotainment owners manual, yet I never noticed that section. I guess I'm getting old.

Update: Now I see why I never noticed it. It only allows the choice to delete in SiriusXM mode, not in the Presets mode of Sirius XM.

Last edited by BobsM3Coupe; 08-15-2022 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 07:54 AM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. I also have the separate infotainment owners manual, yet I never noticed that section. I guess I'm getting old.
...there were times I was looking for info and forgot about the nav/entertainment manual existed, too. Fortunately now, all of this info is easy to find using the owners manual built into iDrive. It really is easy to use since there's multiple ways to search. And some of the most fascinating things in the iDrive manual are some of the embedded videos.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 06:27 PM   #13
AJBimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3

Update 2023 - how to remove a favorite artist or song

I have had my 2023 car a few months and hit the NOTIFY button for RHCP on my Sirius radio …..it goes off all the time because they have their own station ! I just now found how to remove it , hope this helps you all 😎

Be on Sirius ( not the presets)
Be on the artist or song you want to remove from Notifications
Hit Option Button
Select Settings For Default
Select Manage Notifications
Select Delete Individual Notifications
Just Uncheck the song or artist and it’s DONE ✅
Appreciate 0