BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-03-2020, 01:50 AM   #1
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4, X6

Need help from pet owners. How do you deal with dogs in the car?

To those of you who have some furry friends (dogs in this case, not mother-in-law), do you let your dogs in the car? If so, what precautions do you take? I've seen some protective covers that go over the rear seats but unsure if it will actually do any good that. I'm considering going to an upholstery shop to have a custom cover made that covers almost everything in the rear passenger compartment. Seats, door armrest and especially carpet.

I have an english bulldog who sheds quite a bit and makes a huge mess inside my current car. He's short haired so the hairs go in all kinds of places in the carpet and is a b*tch to vacuum. It's almost as if it embeds into the fabric. Moreover, he likes to stare out the window which means he's stepping on the armrests quite often and with my upcoming X6 being full Merino leather, I'd like to avoid any paw contact in that area.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:28 AM   #2
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheManBG View Post
To those of you who have some furry friends , do you let your dogs in the car?
No. Problem solved
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:38 AM   #3
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
No. Problem solved
Hahahahaha. Only way I could make this work is to not sell my tiny hatchback that I currently use to travel with my dog.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 04:54 AM   #4
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Keep the dogs in the boot/trunk and you shouldnt have an issue re: needing to cover the back seats.

I've done this in mine as I have two bulldogs so need to keep the boot free from fur, mud (and puke when I put my foot down! ). Very pleased with this combo:

This lines the entire cargo area (floor sides and seat backs) and fits very well indeed. Secured with velcro strips and can be removed to wash. The material catches the dog hair nicely too and keeps the cabin totally free from hairs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But as I don't want to be removing it often I then have this Gledring rubber matt on top of it as it's quick and easy to lift out and hose down after the dogs have been in the boot after a muddy walk:

Appreciate 2
parkstr8562.00
      08-03-2020, 05:07 AM   #5
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Keep the dogs in the boot/trunk and you shouldnt have an issue re: needing to cover the back seats.

I've done this in mine as I have two bulldogs so need to keep the boot free from fur, mud (and puke when I put my foot down! ). Very pleased with this combo:

This lines the entire cargo area (floor sides and seat backs) and fits very well indeed. Secured with velcro strips and can be removed to wash. The material catches the dog hair nicely too and keeps the cabin totally free from hairs.

But as I don't want to be removing it often I then have this Gledring rubber matt on top of it as it's quick and easy to lift out and hose down after the dogs have been in the boot after a muddy walk:

Glad to see another bully owner. For a short haired dog they shed quite a bit, don't they?

As much as I like your solution, unfortunately it's not applicable to me as I'm expecting delivery of an X6. While space may not be an issue, with the slanted roofline I think it may get a little to hot back there if the sun is shining at the rear and we know bulldogs don't like heat.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 05:53 AM   #6
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Glad to see another bully owner. For a short haired dog they shed quite a bit, don't they?

As much as I like your solution, unfortunately it's not applicable to me as I'm expecting delivery of an X6. While space may not be an issue, with the slanted roofline I think it may get a little to hot back there if the sun is shining at the rear and we know bulldogs don't like heat.
Ah sorry missed you're in an X6 and assumed X5. Yeah the space will be adequate but no way would it be worth risk the glass being so close.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #7
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

3 Dobermans and a Standard Poodle, hence an X5 AND a Q7. I have a really large dog hammock for the back seat. It attaches to the head rest of all 4 seats...and i tuck it into the sides of the seats where the back doors close.

Granted, the poodle does not shed, and even the Dobies don't that much, but the Dobies are 100+ lbs each.

I also have the above for the rear if i put them back there - which is rare.

Here is a version of the hammock.

https://www.amazon.com/Winner-Outfit...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkstr8 View Post
3 Dobermans and a Standard Poodle, hence an X5 AND a Q7. I have a really large dog hammock for the back seat. It attaches to the head rest of all 4 seats...and i tuck it into the sides of the seats where the back doors close.

Granted, the poodle does not shed, and even the Dobies don't that much, but the Dobies are 100+ lbs each.

I also have the above for the rear if i put them back there - which is rare.

Here is a version of the hammock.

https://www.amazon.com/Winner-Outfit...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
The hammock is a great idea. Now just need to figure out what to put over the door cards
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #9
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

I have a 140 lb Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, that sheds like you can't believe. The only way to keep it from getting wrecked is for him to not be in it. No seat cover - most are more trouble than the're worth - will do anything.

I've always worked mostly from home so he's with me all the time. I would take him out with me almost every time I left the house. Didn't care that much about that vehicle so didn't bother me. He's not going in the X5. We take my wife's car when we have to go out.

Weathertech sells some stuff for the side of the doors, back of front seats as well as rear seat cover. Most of the seatcovers i've tried have the tiniest little pin holes in the material that literally makes getting the hair out impossible. Vacuums don't do $hit. There's a little rubber kind of tool i bought that you kind of scrape the hair that is better than a vacuum.

The problem with a dog that sheds is that the hair goes EVERYWHERE. it doesn't just stay on the seats. it may help to keep him in the cargo area but mine has never been back there and probably wouldn't be very happy. guess i should have started that when he was a puppy. he's 8 and don't think he'll take to that change.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #10
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

get a Westie, they dont shed a hair
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #11
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

The problem with all the hammock designs that I've seen is they include openings for seat belts. Unfortunately those openings also let dirt that came off of the dog go through and get under the hammock to then be ground into the leather.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #12
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
The problem with all the hammock designs that I've seen is they include openings for seat belts. Unfortunately those openings also let dirt that came off of the dog go through and get under the hammock to then be ground into the leather.
I guess those can be sewn shut if it's really that big of a problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #13
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Dog carrier in the cargo area works great
Attached Images

08-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #14
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
get a Westie, they dont shed a hair
+1, I have 3
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #15
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
To those of you who have some furry friends (dogs in this case, not mother-in-law), do you let your dogs in the car? If so, what precautions do you take? I've seen some protective covers that go over the rear seats but unsure if it will actually do any good that. I'm considering going to an upholstery shop to have a custom cover made that covers almost everything in the rear passenger compartment. Seats, door armrest and especially carpet.

I have an english bulldog who sheds quite a bit and makes a huge mess inside my current car. He's short haired so the hairs go in all kinds of places in the carpet and is a b*tch to vacuum. It's almost as if it embeds into the fabric. Moreover, he likes to stare out the window which means he's stepping on the armrests quite often and with my upcoming X6 being full Merino leather, I'd like to avoid any paw contact in that area.
I have this pet safety seat for our Jack Russel.

https://www.amazon.de/PetSafe-Sicher...rt-Strapazierfähige-waschmaschinenfeste/dp/B082QBM48C/ref=asc_df_B082QBM48C/

It's high enough so he can look ouside the window. I put it on the passenger seat when driving alone or the middle of the back seat. So he can also look outside from the front. He loves it
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Cityman181.00
      08-03-2020, 03:07 PM   #16
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

^^ I'd need one the entire size of the back seat LOL. for the smaller dogs it's definitely easier and less messy. The thing with a BIG dog that sheds is that it gets everywhere. In my old Touareg I had hair stuck to the headliner. Good luck opening the windows or sunroof. the hair would fly everywhere.

I had my guy in the X5 ONCE for literally 10 minutes. It took me about 30 minutes get the hair out when I got home. Unless it's a dire emergency he's seen his last ride in this car.

to the OP if you're going to put the dog in the car (he's certainly not a tiny breed) be prepared to clean it every time you get back home. It adds up quickly. I guess a crate or something in the cargo area if he'll go back there would be best since you also mentioned he likes to stand on the door ledge. Oh, did I mention mine also drools too?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 11:30 PM   #17
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
^^ I'd need one the entire size of the back seat LOL. for the smaller dogs it's definitely easier and less messy. The thing with a BIG dog that sheds is that it gets everywhere. In my old Touareg I had hair stuck to the headliner. Good luck opening the windows or sunroof. the hair would fly everywhere.

I had my guy in the X5 ONCE for literally 10 minutes. It took me about 30 minutes get the hair out when I got home. Unless it's a dire emergency he's seen his last ride in this car.

to the OP if you're going to put the dog in the car (he's certainly not a tiny breed) be prepared to clean it every time you get back home. It adds up quickly. I guess a crate or something in the cargo area if he'll go back there would be best since you also mentioned he likes to stand on the door ledge. Oh, did I mention mine also drools too?
Oh man, don't start me on the drooling part. He especially likes to sneeze directly at the window while he's looking out of it. Not a nice thing to look out of after that.

English bulldogs do not cope with heat very well (can be deadly to them actually) and with the X6 having a slanted roofline where 70% of the rear cargo area is covered by the rear glass, it'll probably be a bit too hot for him. So it has to be the rear seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 01:49 AM   #18
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
I have a 140 lb Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, that sheds like you can't believe. The only way to keep it from getting wrecked is for him to not be in it. No seat cover - most are more trouble than the're worth - will do anything.

I've always worked mostly from home so he's with me all the time. I would take him out with me almost every time I left the house. Didn't care that much about that vehicle so didn't bother me. He's not going in the X5. We take my wife's car when we have to go out.

Weathertech sells some stuff for the side of the doors, back of front seats as well as rear seat cover. Most of the seatcovers i've tried have the tiniest little pin holes in the material that literally makes getting the hair out impossible. Vacuums don't do $hit. There's a little rubber kind of tool i bought that you kind of scrape the hair that is better than a vacuum.

The problem with a dog that sheds is that the hair goes EVERYWHERE. it doesn't just stay on the seats. it may help to keep him in the cargo area but mine has never been back there and probably wouldn't be very happy. guess i should have started that when he was a puppy. he's 8 and don't think he'll take to that change.
Exactly what I do...we take the wife's car when we have to take our rottie out. For the X5 we have a cargo cover that rolls up when not in use and stays attached to the rear seat (we have a 2 row car)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:06 AM   #19
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

I have a 210 lb (95kg) English Mastiff. She is the only reason I bought an X5 instead of an X6.

It's gross. the drool. the fur. it get's everywhere. Nothing I can do about it, but become a thorough vacuumer, pro armor-aller, and expert windexxer.

did I mention the drool?

Oh yea.... and there's drool too. lots of it. She likes to lean her floppy face over the back seat.... and by the end of the trip, my son's hair is sopping wet with dog drool - LOL

Such is life. Furbabies are part of the family too.
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342
Appreciate 1
Cityman181.00
      08-04-2020, 08:51 AM   #20
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Which headliner do you think is better for not catching the dog hair, standard or alcantara?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #21
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
Which headliner do you think is better for not catching the dog hair, standard or alcantara?
Standard...... undoubtedly.

However, both can be vacuumed easily enough.

But..... when your dog gets drool, snot, dirt, or footprints on alcantara..... get ready..... it will never look the same again. It's very hard to clean properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #22
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I have a 210 lb (95kg) English Mastiff. She is the only reason I bought an X5 instead of an X6.

It's gross. the drool. the fur. it get's everywhere. Nothing I can do about it, but become a thorough vacuumer, pro armor-aller, and expert windexxer.

did I mention the drool?

Oh yea.... and there's drool too. lots of it. She likes to lean her floppy face over the back seat.... and by the end of the trip, my son's hair is sopping wet with dog drool - LOL

Such is life. Furbabies are part of the family too.
LOL, I hear you on all fronts! Beautiful dog by the way!
Appreciate 0