GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
I've contacted 6 dealers and most are pushing back on the PenFed Rebate, for one of two reasons. ;(

1. Either flat out: "I am familiar with PEN FED we can not offer it .We can offer loyalty or corporate type g or USAA - But not PEN FED"
2. Or logistically, saying paperwork states 2021 and any 45e today forward is a 2022.

It's quite frustrating. . . I'm envious of those that have been successful without a clawback or hiccup. To boot, we're running against a clock now for builds, as one area that is clear is you must take delivery of vehicle by Jan 3, 2022.
Does that include Peter Pan?
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2021, 06:22 PM   #134
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
So Mountain View is the only confirmed/demonstrated dealer who will process it with no fuss in our area. If you prioritize PenFed , get the best deal elsewhere and then shop it hard at MV in hopes they'll match. (I actually did this to try to ensure best MSRP discount and a no fuss Penfed processing) However for me, MV cannot even touch SF's discount and MV only has Nov builds giving you a risk of a 2022 delivery. Nov builds will span thanksgiving and transport will touch Christmas week, all with unknown impact in production and transport impacting your 2021 delivery deadline. Also unknown is whether MV will even give you week 45, 1st week of Nov slot. After all they already have a queue of prior orders waiting to get slotted.

I know you've worked with SF on it, and that's where I'm going to process it. I'll relay on my prior convo with the GM and strategy on this, i.e. show up with a valid J code, (thinking of photoshopping 2022 on it), and insisting that they process it. I'll sign a doc for possible clawback. In my convo, SF said they are familiar with processing it (can't imagine it's any different than any other incentive), and that they will give it a go. Ultimately, how I understand this is that it's "credit risk". You can ultimately be not eligible, but BMW corp has 60 days to contest your eligibility, bc corp reimburses the dealer.

I'll emphasize again, as long as the dealer processes the rebate, all of us regardless of dealer used is at the mercy of the audit/clawback. Corp makes the audit decision, your dealer makes the "credit" decision on whether they think you'll get audited and will be dragged through the clawback.

Also note, the more you make it a big deal to the sale guy, the more they'll question it and hedge on not processing it. They don't want to overpromise, and you may have sabotaged your own attempt and other's attempt with this.
I still have my edited PenFed PDF to show 2022
Let me know if you want that
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 12:05 AM   #135
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post
I still have my edited PenFed PDF to show 2022
Let me know if you want that
Yeah man, I'll take it! You read my mind!
      09-25-2021, 12:20 AM   #136
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah man, I'll take it! You read my mind!
Here ya go. I even edited the 2022 model lineup to make it more realistic

PenFed edited.pdf
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 12:29 AM   #137
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post
Here ya go. I even edited the 2022 model lineup to make it more realistic

Attachment 2704156
Oh those are dealer instructions. What about the code form? Did you modify that one?
      09-25-2021, 01:58 AM   #138
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh those are dealer instructions. What about the code form? Did you modify that one?
Not sure what you mean by the code form.
The first page which I left out is your personal info and doesn't contain any model year.

Name:  penfed.png
Views: 596
Size:  57.2 KB
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4987.00
      09-25-2021, 10:03 PM   #139
htman
Rep
Drives: BMW

I can only share my experiences with Bay Area dealers which is far different than others are currently experiencing.

Earlier in the year in contacted MAC at BMW of Mountain View, an AutoNation dealership. It was represented to me that BMW of Mountain View was deducting the PenFed incentive from the quoted discount when ordered X5's were being delivered to customers. I asked MAC if his dealership would honor the PenFed incentive. MAC said he had never heard of it. I asked MAC why is he unaware of this when the PenFed incentive is advertised online with every new BMW car posted on the BMW of Mountain View website. MAC said he would get back to me. He never did. For curiosity I contacted BMW of Mountain View a month latter. MAC picked up the phone. Same line, MAC had never heard of the PenFed incentive. Same PenFed ads placed with each new car listed on the website. I told MAC we had discussed this one month earlier. MAC said he would get back to me. This time I did get a response and quote that was much higher than any other Bay Area offer to me at the time.

In the galaxy of AutoNation stars MAC shines brightly. However not as bright as my experiences with the other AutoNation dealership in the South Bay.

Oh the other hand. I ordered an X5 45e from another Bay Area dealership. All deal aspects were fully honored and handled in an efficient, honest and forthright manner. The car was a 2022 model X5 delivered several weeks ago with the full PenFed incentive applied after other discounts agreed to at order time. I could not have been more pleased with the honesty and integrity with which this dealership handled my transaction and conducted their business.

Last edited by htman; 09-25-2021 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Fix grammer
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #140
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

Peter Pan came through 100%; the SA you recommended was on point! Thanks! In the end 3 dealers were happy to accept PenFed; two were discounting a little from MSRP. Thanks GrussGott

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #141
njnets21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
Peter Pan came through 100%; the SA you recommended was on point! Thanks! In the end 3 dealers were happy to accept PenFed; two were discounting a little from MSRP. Thanks GrussGott

Quote:
Wait who's Peter Pan? I missed something.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #142
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

Peter Pan BMW (a dealer in Northern California). Feel free to PM with any questions.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18198.00
      09-27-2021, 06:24 PM   #143
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnets21 View Post
Wait who's Peter Pan? I missed something.
Attached Images

GrussGott18198.00
      09-27-2021, 06:56 PM   #144
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

Has anyone had good luck getting a reasonable discount from Atlanta or Southeast dealers? I’m looking to buy order a 2022 x6 40i m sport ASAP.
Thanks.
      09-28-2021, 03:31 PM   #145
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagu View Post
Has anyone had good luck getting a reasonable discount from Atlanta or Southeast dealers? I’m looking to buy order a 2022 x6 40i m sport ASAP.
Thanks.
Yes, you can start with Next Level Auto Brokers - I've also got another contact in the south that's had decent offers if you PM me
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 07:24 PM   #146
Fahrfun
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Hi All, thinking of signing up with Penfed for the $3250 cash discount, but it's getting confusing. I called CS and couldn't get a straight answer. In earlier posts on this thread I read "Eligible member must be the purchaser". Yet wherever I click on the PendFed website for the discount, it states "Eligible military member must be the purchaser". Bottom line... do I have to be military or not to obtain this rebate?? Thanks much
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 07:58 PM   #147
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrfun View Post
Hi All, thinking of signing up with Penfed for the $3250 cash discount, but it's getting confusing. I called CS and couldn't get a straight answer. In earlier posts on this thread I read "Eligible member must be the purchaser". Yet wherever I click on the PendFed website for the discount, it states "Eligible military member must be the purchaser". Bottom line... do I have to be military or not to obtain this rebate?? Thanks much
You do not have to be affiliated with the military. It is one of the ways to get BMW's military discount however just being a PenFed member for 60 days qualifies you for it.
GrussGott18198.00
      09-30-2021, 08:55 PM   #148
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrfun View Post

wherever I click on the PendFed website for the discount, it states "Eligible military member must be the purchaser". Bottom line... do I have to be military or not to obtain this rebate?? Thanks much
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
You do not have to be affiliated with the military. It is one of the ways to get BMW's military discount however just being a PenFed member for 60 days qualifies you for it.
The PenFed site & collateral, as well as BMW's documentation, are woefully inaccurate when it comes to this rebate which can cause problems with your dealer (and confusion with us!).

Beyond the military affiliation inaccuracy you describe, the PenFed certificates & collateral themselves don't (yet?) mention 2022 models, nevertheless many dealers accept the certificates anyway.

To TurtleBoy's point, to generate this rebate:

(1.) You must be a PenFed member for > 60 days
(2.) You must use the PenFed site to generate a certificate with the rebate code
(3.) You can't use BMWFS financing for the $3250 rebate

If all of those things are true, then:

(4.) Your dealer must agree to process the rebate (some dealers refuse to do it despite it being a valid rebate)

(5.) Your salesperson must know HOW to process the rebate (this has also been an issue)

Therefore it's best to check with each salesperson (in the case you talk to more than one from a given dealer) once you've negotiated your deal (possibly before too of course).
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2021, 09:37 PM   #149
Fahrfun
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

@TurtleBoy thank you for the clarification (and good news). @GrussGott thanks so much for typing out the steps to take to do this correctly!
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18198.00
      09-30-2021, 11:37 PM   #150
Gstahl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e soon

Quote:
BMW should figure this out..

Either they want to provide any penfed member a discount (which is fine if that is their intention) or they should do a real military/veteran discount.

Pretty disingenuous to offer what they claim is a discount to military where clearly one does not have to be military or former military to get.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 02:03 PM   #151
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstahl View Post
BMW should figure this out..

Either they want to provide any penfed member a discount (which is fine if that is their intention) or they should do a real military/veteran discount.

Pretty disingenuous to offer what they claim is a discount to military where clearly one does not have to be military or former military to get.
I'm not sure if this meant to be a military benefit. Because for Mercedes, the PenFed discount is categorized as a Mercedes Fleet discount. BMW may have just categorized it as military to fit into their incentive stacking chart.

Ultimately how specific it is to military is up to PenFed, not BMW. And PenFed went open charter. PenFed gives this discount to Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Jeep, etc.. they might all handle this differently.

We keep saying it's "military" but nowhere in the actual documentation does BMW or PenFed even mention the word "military." Given that it also applies to to many car brands, the other brands like MB are not using it as a military discount, this feels like just a credit union trying to increase its membership by incentivizing people to sign up.

Last edited by taek; 10-01-2021 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 04:50 PM   #152
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
I'm not sure if this meant to be a military benefit. Because for Mercedes, the PenFed discount is categorized as a Mercedes Fleet discount. BMW may have just categorized it as military to fit into their incentive stacking chart.

Ultimately how specific it is to military is up to PenFed, not BMW. And PenFed went open charter. PenFed gives this discount to Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Jeep, etc.. they might all handle this differently.

We keep saying it's "military" but nowhere in the actual documentation does BMW or PenFed even mention the word "military." Given that it also applies to to many car brands, the other brands like MB are not using it as a military discount, this feels like just a credit union trying to increase its membership by incentivizing people to sign up.
This has been discussed ad nauseam and I probably shouldn't even respond anymore since details are in this thread. Going through PenFed is one of the ways to obtain BMW's military discount. The money comes from BMW and not the credit union. Just look at the list of eligibility requirements for the military discount that BMW sent to dealers when they announced the partnership with ID.Me and the additional processing of the military discount on BMW's web site.
Attached Images

10-01-2021, 07:52 PM   #153
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

This has been discussed ad nauseam ... The money comes from BMW and not the credit union.
Do we have documented proof of that, or is it speculation based on the generalized collateral known to be misleading/iffy.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 07:53 PM   #154
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Do we have documented proof of that, or is it speculation based on the generalized collateral known to be misleading/iffy.
I see the troll is back, why the hell did I think he would mature and removed him from my ignore list? He's going back on.