BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-29-2021, 06:33 AM   #111
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X5MC, '23 X5 45e

My wife's 45e we just ordered is going to be affected by this as well, frustrating. I'll probably end up keeping it, but its annoying and I agree, $500 is a slap in the face losing two features on an almost 80k vehicle.

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've used the touchscreen on my M50i in the last two months and I've used backup assistant 1x. In fact, I much prefer the iDrive controller to touch screen while driving.

Also, I know we are all very particular by nature of being on the forum, but I highly doubt resale will be affected and if it is, it'll be extremely minor compared to normal depreciation. The vast majority of buyers just do not notice or care, sadly, which is why BMW knows they can get away with this.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 06:39 AM   #112
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M, M2CS, E46 ZHP, E53 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake6551 View Post
Also, I know we are all very particular by nature of being on the forum, but I highly doubt resale will be affected and if it is, it'll be extremely minor compared to normal depreciation. The vast majority of buyers just do not notice or care, sadly, which is why BMW knows they can get away with this.
This
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 07:26 AM   #113
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckelvie37 View Post
Where to go from here? MB was a 5-6 month lead for a new car. Won't do that. Audi doesn't have the looks IMO. Porsche is too much $ for what you get performance wise. I'm thinking a lightly used one or a lot car is the best answer.
This is why I知 *not* out, really. You ran the same thought process I did - there痴 just not anything out there and I need a car by early December. Everyone has inventory issues. This sucks, but the alternatives suck worse.

I think after griping about it a bit, we値l just learn to deal. Heck, I might use gesture more and I値l DEFINITELY use voice more, but I think we can manage. I *will* have a long chat about with our SA and I値l be coming back to him when I want to trade to a COVID free new model down the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 07:31 AM   #114
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Wagon View Post
This is why I知 *not* out, really. You ran the same thought process I did - there痴 just not anything out there and I need a car by early December. Everyone has inventory issues. This sucks, but the alternatives suck worse.

I think after griping about it a bit, we値l just learn to deal. Heck, I might use gesture more and I値l DEFINITELY use voice more, but I think we can manage. I *will* have a long chat about with our SA and I値l be coming back to him when I want to trade to a COVID free new model down the road.
Agree with this too. If Mercedes wasn't having so many issues, I'd just go buy a GLE53 for her, but they are worse than BMW right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 08:08 AM   #115
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I don't use any of the iDrive features except to configuring the car. Instead I use Apple CarPlay for all the infotainment functions.

I have a touch screen in my M2C but not the X4. I was really looking forward to having a the same touch screen functionality in the X6 that is replacing the X4. I find using the iDrive controller extremely distracting b/c it takes my eyes off the road to confirm which UI element is selected, especially Apple maps, where BMW doesn't support iDrive controller pinch to zoom functionality like they do in BMW Navigation.

I feel BMW could potentially eliminate the need for a touch screen and gesture control by expanding and fully supporting the iDrive controller touchpad functionality but I'm not sure if that would be more distracting or not?

IMHO everyone's credit expectations are unrealistic. BMW is still providing a 12.3" central information display and will ONLY provide a touch screen credit NOT a credit for the entire 12.3" central information display.

I wasn't aware of the reverse assistant until tripped upon it in a YouTube video and thought it kind of gimmicky but then realized it would be helpful when I pull into a twisty driveway to drop off the kids at a friends and I need to back out. Not that I would use it a lot but I was looking forward to trying it.

Last edited by omasou; 10-29-2021 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 08:11 AM   #116
mcbmw88
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x3 x35i

I'm surprised to see them only focus on Q4 with these changes and not just say "indefinitely" -- and slightly surprised to see some vehicles still shipping with touchscreens.

Agreed with the $500 credit -- what a gut punch.
"Thanks for the order, suckers!"
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #117
S_McTowelie
Private
Rep
Drives: \

Just heard from the dealer. Confirmed that my order will have Backup Assistant and touchscreen REMOVED from my build. Order was placed on October 15 and went into Production Begins status the following week (with a VIN assigned). Checked this morning and the status is now: Entering Assembly Line. Debating what I want to do next. Reached back to dealer to see what my options are or if he has more details. This is annoying!
Appreciate 1
DeYanko70.50
      10-29-2021, 09:12 AM   #118
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckelvie37 View Post
I've sent an email to the dealer but if it's true then I'm out for a couple reasons.

A. This is a bit of speculation but I can't imagine this car holding the same value over time. As others have mentioned this version is now the Covid car. Any new buyer walking up is going to ask "you mean the touchscreen does not work?"

B. Software updates I think will be a larger issue down the road. Having a newly written software program written for these units only does not bode well for updates, upgrades or bugs. Or the incentive for them to fix things down the road.

C. I'm not sure what a screen replacement costs but I'm sure it's a lot more than $500. Any idea how much the part is alone if ordered by the dealer?

D. Yes you can make it work with just the dial but without a touchscreen it'd be a PITA. If using GPS I presume I'm using my phone to input addresses but it's like operating a computer without a keyboard. You can do it but why?

E. I'm thinking there'd be more fingerprints now than without it as I mash the screen relentlessly trying it get it to work

F. I think you can cover the back up assistant up with much of an issue for future buyers but as the screen is integral to the interior experience not having it is simply a major letdown.

Where to go from here? MB was a 5-6 month lead for a new car. Won't do that. Audi doesn't have the looks IMO. Porsche is too much $ for what you get performance wise. I'm thinking a lightly used one or a lot car is the best answer.
As I posted prior, the aftermarket retrofit is in the $2k range. Here it is for NBT retrofit.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...ystem-retrofit
      10-29-2021, 09:13 AM   #119
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Man I don't even use the touchscreen but this deletion hurts bad. I feel fortunate that I ordered by car when I did.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 10:21 AM   #120
jtdavid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

I have an order affected by this change. A little annoying, but I never use the touchscreen on my current M2. My plan is to just use the $500 savings to help cover the cost of new audio if the HiFi proves insufficient.
      10-29-2021, 10:21 AM   #121
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep

I think maybe folks should start to consider inventory units if it's going to be a deal breaker. But you may have to sacrifice colors and other options. Especially of those that are just looking to lease and need something asap. Deals fall through all the time. My dealer just got this in. I actually think it's a great build for a car on the lot. Search and maybe something is out there that got produced before big items were stripped.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 10:26 AM   #122
DeYanko
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_McTowelie View Post
Just heard from the dealer. Confirmed that my order will have Backup Assistant and touchscreen REMOVED from my build. Order was placed on October 15 and went into Production Begins status the following week (with a VIN assigned). Checked this morning and the status is now: Entering Assembly Line. Debating what I want to do next. Reached back to dealer to see what my options are or if he has more details. This is annoying!
I placed my order on 10/14 and my status is just "Production Begins"
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 10:34 AM   #123
mcbmw88
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x3 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBavarian View Post
I think maybe folks should start to consider inventory units if it's going to be a deal breaker. But you may have to sacrifice colors and other options. Especially of those that are just looking to lease and need something asap. Deals fall through all the time. My dealer just got this in. I actually think it's a great build for a car on the lot. Search and maybe something is out there that got produced before big items were stripped.
Unfortunately, unless the dealership loves you, it feels like you'd have to go to the dealership (or call) every day to figure out what they get in (or if a current lease is ending).

I thought about going the CPO route, but everything is marked up at least $10k.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 10:36 AM   #124
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplatinum777 View Post
Same. My 45e is also in Production Begins status (as of 10/19) and also shows that "Deletion of Backup Assistant" line. It does not have a line that states anything about removing the touch-screen, so hopefully it's one of the last ones with it.

I'm with the rest of you. Fog lights, wireless charging, nice audio systems, remote seat releases, backup assistant, laminated front glass, and now the damn touch-screen functionality. If anything else gets deleted, I might just decline to buy it.
All that features including night vision are available in Canada. 2 days ago I configured x5 there and was surprised.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #125
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbmw88 View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately, unless the dealership loves you, it feels like you'd have to go to the dealership (or call) every day to figure out what they get in (or if a current lease is ending).

I thought about going the CPO route, but everything is marked up at least $10k.
True. Ask your CA to do a locate. Maybe some non priority 1 cars are en route already. They have systems that make it super easy to filter out things. Shouldn't take them but a couple of minutes.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #126
njnets21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

FWIW, I recently picked up an X5 x40i from build week 42 and it has the touch screen, backup assistant, and the ambient lighting behind the front seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #127
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Good luck finding one in inventory unless you are extremely lucky. Finding an allocation is hard enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #128
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is almost my exact build, minus DAP, damn! A 75k X5 with less driving assistance than a base Corolla!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #129
MadameLV85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 45e

I was supposed to be a week 49 build and it got bumped ahead (I'm assuming due to cancelations). My X5 45e is estimated to be completed at the factory this coming Tuesday. My SA sent me an updated build sheet to sign yesterday showing the deletion. I honestly don't care for the touch screen, so I'm okay with it. I'm kind of bummed I'm losing out on the backup assistant, but I feel like it's more of a novelty and something I won't really use.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:40 AM   #130
MadameLV85
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnets21 View Post
FWIW, I recently picked up an X5 x40i from build week 42 and it has the touch screen, backup assistant, and the ambient lighting behind the front seats.

Wait, is the rear ambient lighting getting the cut?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #131
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

This is ridiculous. Are they giving any credits for removing backup assistant and Touch screen?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:47 AM   #132
MadameLV85
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
This is ridiculous. Are they giving any credits for removing backup assistant and Touch screen?
It's a $500 credit.
Appreciate 0