BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-25-2021, 04:50 PM   #265
Clockwerkorng
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RgR^DgR View Post
Signed off on mine on the 2nd of this month. 5.5% off MSRP at the Nashvegas dealership.

To those that have done this before: In this case, is it normal to have production start in November, or did the dealership lie to me about having an allocation?
Who was your CA? I'm also looking to buy an X5 in Nashville.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 12:47 PM   #266
volvo_convert
Rep
Drives: TBD X5 x45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_convert View Post
I will check out those Houston ones you suggested, thanks for info. Momentum I reached out to today but nothing back yet.

BMW Grapevine was where we tested the X5 but they say Jan 2022 at earliest for an x45e, wait list full until then.
BMW South Austin and Classic BMW in Dallas said nothing before 2022.
San Antonio says won't know allocation until early October.

Honestly I haven't had better luck elsewhere so far coast to coast. My best shot is a dealer in GA who says they get their november allocations next week but their 'msrp' is thousands above elsewhere.

Also I have started circling the Bay area and first one East Bay BMW said nothing before 2022 either so the poster who said they all have Nov slots in bay area - that is not the case.

BMW Las Vegas saw I was from TX and said 'locals only'.

It's a grind, but I have 20 contacted so far (328 to go!) and only heard back from a third so maybe lightning will strike. Not getting anything without putting in the work that's for sure.
update: after contacting 20 dealers and hearing back from half, coast to coast, I had a call back from a local one who had no spots a few days ago but 2 spots turned up for mid-late October allocation, for delivery at latest by Mid-November. Unfortunately at MSRP, no discount. I will say that of the 4 dealers where I got to talking price, none would go below MSRP so if you can get that in this market then take it for sure.

West coast MSRPs on the websites are starting higher than they are Central/East so I can see how they have more room to offer % off - for instance, at one if I took their posted pricing and backed out the options I discovered they were starting from a base of $67+ instead of $63,700 on BMW's national build website. One dealer in that area with more reasonable pricing posted told me west coast has market adjustment of +$5k right now on x45e (except for their dealership which is why they would not go below MSRP), and I saw that on some sites. I was not getting 1-2% off never mind 5.5% as posted above here (!!!)

I did a deposit for the local slot, waiting on the production order to check dates. Might still keep shopping for a deal below MSRP but want this in-hand and titled before Dec 31 so if I buy out of state with a discount then would still need it to get here and be titled in time and TX can take up to 20 business days to get title.

In short: it's one thing to find an allocation slot, another thing to find a discount, and if you can get both then count yourself fortunate! Also this is specifically for xdrive45e PHEV, I was told several times if I didn't want the PHEV I would be able to get something much sooner and maybe with a deal. They know the x45e is in hot demand.

Last edited by volvo_convert; 09-26-2021 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #267
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

Yesterday, I locked in a 45e custom build with week 40 build slot. Thanks to several members here, including Flying Ace for recommendations and advice.

I contacted perhaps 12 dealers (mostly in NorCal but a few in Central or SoCal), and of those only two dealers had allocations slots for a 45e build to guarantee a delivery before year end AND were willing to discount below MSRP; as well as accommodate the PendFed rebate without hesitation. It is true most are positioning they are selling AT MSRP (and Not marking up - which they mention); the cars are flying off the lots at MSRP. My dealer said he had 5 other builds around my date in the que all at MSRP.

I got 2500 below MSRP Before ANY incentives (CA Rebate; PenFed Rebate; Fed Tax Credit). I know a few folks have been more lucky with more discount, but given the market, I am very happy; and the SA is very seasoned and professional to work with.

Last edited by dananelson1; 09-26-2021 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18198.00
Flying Ace4988.50
      09-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #268
volvo_convert
Rep

Quote:
update: after contacting 20 dealers and hearing back from half, coast to coast, I had a call back from a local one who had no spots a few days ago but 2 spots turned up for mid-late October allocation, for delivery at latest by Mid-November. Unfortunately at MSRP, no discount. I will say that of the 4 dealers where I got to talking price, none would go below MSRP so if you can get that in this market then take it for sure.

West coast MSRPs on the websites are starting higher than they are Central/East so I can see how they have more room to offer % off - for instance, at one if I took their posted pricing and backed out the options I discovered they were starting from a base of $67+ instead of $63,700 on BMW's national build website. One dealer in that area with more reasonable pricing posted told me west coast has market adjustment of +$5k right now on x45e (except for their dealership which is why they would not go below MSRP), and I saw that on some sites. I was not getting 1-2% off never mind 5.5% as posted above here (!!!)

I did a deposit for the local slot, waiting on the production order to check dates. Might still keep shopping for a deal below MSRP but want this in-hand and titled before Dec 31 so if I buy out of state with a discount then would still need it to get here and be titled in time and TX can take up to 20 business days to get title.

In short: it's one thing to find an allocation slot, another thing to find a discount, and if you can get both then count yourself fortunate! Also this is specifically for xdrive45e PHEV, I was told several times if I didn't want the PHEV I would be able to get something much sooner and maybe with a deal. They know the x45e is in hot demand.
further update: after doing deposit and asking for build sheet with production week the rep says they don’t have an allocation yet, this after saying they had two slots on Saturday. So - no different than the dozen other dealers who were trying to push me to this week or next when they get a new batch from BMW. So frustrating. Still on the hunt!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #269
Disguy409
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e

Did you try enterprise bmw in Appleton, WI? I was able to get almost 8% plus Penfed. Ask for Ron Hayes
Appreciate 2
      09-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #270
volvo_convert
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeMaC View Post
Hello all,
I'm in Michigan. I don't know if there are drawbacks of purchasing from out of state for BMW's. Destination charge is already $995, do they add to it?
I just had a quote re: buying out of state. The $995 gets it to dealership, where it has to go to be detailed and have add-ons tint etc before coming to you (no one said I can ship direct to me from factory). After that, additional shipping charge to send it wherever it is going from dealer.

California to Texas, the dealer said would cost $1150 (plus the $995)
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2021, 05:23 PM   #271
BoolaBoola
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW X5 xDrive45e

I hope everyone is at least trying the Costco buying service to get a deal on the 45e. That got me $500 over invoice which worked out to be 5.5% off. I don't know how many dealerships around my area participate but of the two closest ones, it gave me one of them based on an input area code. The price was for real and with an early Sept deposit I have a week 42 build.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #272
volvo_convert
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoolaBoola View Post
I hope everyone is at least trying the Costco buying service to get a deal on the 45e. That got me $500 over invoice which worked out to be 5.5% off. I don't know how many dealerships around my area participate but of the two closest ones, it gave me one of them based on an input area code. The price was for real and with an early Sept deposit I have a week 42 build.
Count yourself very lucky and congrats! Last week I plugged in DFW TX area zip codes, nothing came up in costco ('Currently, we have not located a dealership in your area for the manufacturer you selected.'...for BMW, in a major US market.)

Can I ask - did you buy/build it as a 2022, and what did you put in the Costco search? When I try markets outside Dallas, like west coast or Nashville, I get the message "The vehicle you selected does not currently feature prearranged pricing" with 2022 x45e as the search so was presuming that the 2022 wasn't eligible period...

I did try a Chicago zip seeing your profile, and it actually connected me with someone (no DFW, no SF, no Nashville). Not sure if they are going to be open to shipping but for Costco pricing I can spring for Main Cabin Extra! (if I get it here by Dec 31 which is my goal)

Update: "All allocations in my pipeline are spoken for"...time to try a different zip code on Costco!

Last edited by volvo_convert; 09-28-2021 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:53 PM   #273
XtremeMaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 xDrive40i G06

First thing I did was try Costco, but nothing around me for BMW...

Ron says hello He's sick of callers from the forum. joking.. he's happy about the volume the forum brings to him but eight percent is a big ask.
Ones around me couldn't care less about discounts. 0%... Well, they're about to lose my business... but they don't care.. No incentives, they get full MSRP. It's all over the news, they're liking this model. People are still buying. Yet somehow they're against complete online ordering like Tesla...

Last edited by XtremeMaC; 10-05-2021 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 08:32 AM   #274
jsb15
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e

Quote:
Can I ask - did you buy/build it as a 2022, and what did you put in the Costco search?
I don’t recall if I specifically said 22 but it was done the first week of September. The dealership at first said that model was not included but they would trade away an X7 to get me an immediate allocation and came back a few minutes later with good news/bad news. The good news is it was on the program for $500 over invoice and the bad news was they wouldn’t trade an X7 at that price but get me a next month allocation (which I believe they ended up trading for anyway). I was at first looking for a 19 40i but with the nearly $15K off with Costco discount, military, and Fed tax credit, along with the crazy high used prices now, a 22 45e made better sense. There is a dealership cost to discounting but also a cost to sending a previous customer elsewhere to not match a deal <10 miles away. When normal supply/demand returns there will be consequences for that.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 10:58 AM   #275
teejnut
Rep
Drives: Looking

I wonder if the Costco program is regional. My dealer sent me the Costco pricing sheet but the 2022 X5 is excluded.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #276
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

For those trying to get MSRP discounts that others reported, just understand that car pricing works on the "demand curve". This means every price gets filled in along the curve, from 6%-to-7% below MSRP on the low end to MSRP on the high end. Bc someone else got a certain discount will mean you won't get the same/better at the exact same dealership at the exact same time. You are the next pricing slot on the demand curve bc supply (allocation) is finite.

I learned this bc dananelson1 and I contacted the same dealers. I was 2-3 days prior to him. My dealer gave me 6% discount, but offered him $1500(?). Conversely, his dealer gave him the $2500 discount and offered me $1500. Bc dealers fill orders on the demand curve from top down, those willing to pay MSRP or close to MSRP gets their slot first. So for my dealer, a 6% indicates I likely got the last slot for this allocation round. For his dealer, that means when I arrived before him, they had a few more higher priced slots to fill at the time, but by the time he went in, they were filling in at a lower pricing slot.

TLDR: asking others where they got their discount in hopes you'll get the same is a crapshoot. Especially when allocations are getting filled daily. If anything you should target dealer who were offering small discounts days prior, bc they would have filled those already.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 09-29-2021 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 5
      09-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #277
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post

TLDR: asking others where they got their discount in hopes you'll get the same is a crapshoot.
Yup, the other thing I'd add is time-of-month & time-of-quarter can matter too, even down to each salesperson. Each salesperson, each team, each dealership has to make their numbers and/or is competing against their peers.

In real estate it's location, location, location and in autos it's timing, timing, timing.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #278
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Yup, the other thing I'd add is time-of-month & time-of-quarter can matter too, even down to each salesperson. Each salesperson, each team, each dealership has to make their numbers and/or is competing against their peers.

In real estate it's location, location, location and in autos it's timing, timing, timing.
also, i suspect that those who can guarantee an earlier allocation slot typically means that it's either:
1. fall out - prior customer cancelled the order
2. unallocated - dealer makes a decision to build their own in hopes to sell it on the lot to walk-ups

This means you may have pricing leverage, unless they feel comfortable selling an unallocated car at a higher price, often the case today.
      09-29-2021, 11:07 PM   #279
TeeBee8
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 • G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post
In Bay Area CA, was able to get 6% off MSRP for a late June 45e order. PM me if you want dealer contact
Could you PM me your contact/POC please? Also in NorCal looking to order this week. Thanks 🙏
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #280
volvo_convert
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
For those trying to get MSRP discounts that others reported, just understand that car pricing works on the "demand curve". This means every price gets filled in along the curve, from 6%-to-7% below MSRP on the low end to MSRP on the high end. Bc someone else got a certain discount will mean you won't get the same/better at the exact same dealership at the exact same time. You are the next pricing slot on the demand curve bc supply (allocation) is finite.

I learned this bc dananelson1 and I contacted the same dealers. I was 2-3 days prior to him. My dealer gave me 6% discount, but offered him $1500(?). Conversely, his dealer gave him the $2500 discount and offered me $1500. Bc dealers fill orders on the demand curve from top down, those willing to pay MSRP or close to MSRP gets their slot first. So for my dealer, a 6% indicates I likely got the last slot for this allocation round. For his dealer, that means when I arrived before him, they had a few more higher priced slots to fill at the time, but by the time he went in, they were filling in at a lower pricing slot.

TLDR: asking others where they got their discount in hopes you'll get the same is a crapshoot. Especially when allocations are getting filled daily. If anything you should target dealer who were offering small discounts days prior, bc they would have filled those already.
Some of the places on this list where people had discounts are full too, depending on the model.
Nashville was mentioned as one earlier where someone had an MSRP discount, but they have no allocation for x45e available now (at least to my inquiry)

Maybe everything will flood open when BMW releases their November allocations. My main question now is "do you have a waitlist on allocation". I have yet to find someone in Texas offering under MSRP even the ones mentioned in thread earlier tell me at-sticker or that they are backed up on waitlist. I am still irked at the local dealer who called me to say they had two Oct allocations for mid-Nov delivery but now that I paid deposit has said they will get allocation 'soon', will call them later today and get the money back. Talk about starting off a relationship with zero trust.

PS - don't try too many ZIP code searches in Costco or you will get blocked like me, I think it was after 5 or so and then you have to call in to talk to Costco Auto.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 02:16 PM   #281
thorHAM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '19 M4 ZCP BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
BMW of Reading, PA. Awesome...all over email (except the pickup )
They were great. They were quick to reply with the information I needed, thanks for the recommendation.

I placed an order on Tuesday. He got it in that same day, and as of today production began already. That's wild. He expects it to be delivered before end of October for sure.
Appreciate 3
      10-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #282
volvo_convert
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorHAM View Post
They were great. They were quick to reply with the information I needed, thanks for the recommendation.

I placed an order on Tuesday. He got it in that same day, and as of today production began already. That's wild. He expects it to be delivered before end of October for sure.
Did they already have allocation at Reading when you ordered, or did they submit for allocation after you purchased?

I'm in talks with a dealer who has a great price off MSRP (costco) but they would have to submit for an allocation once I order...they are saying it would be November build and late nov / early Dec delivery but I need this vehicle by mid-Dec. At least dealer is willing to make the nonrefundable deposit refundable if BMW gives a production time later than that but I am torn whether to just order and hope for the best on this timing working out vs continuing my search with the next dealer and try to find one with actual allocation.

PS for the costco searchers I have seen everything from no discount on 2022, -$1000 flat and percentage-off discounting depending on the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #283
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Did they already have allocation at Reading when you ordered, or did they submit for allocation after you purchased?

I'm in talks with a dealer who has a great price off MSRP (costco) but they would have to submit for an allocation once I order...they are saying it would be November build and late nov / early Dec delivery but I need this vehicle by mid-Dec. At least dealer is willing to make the nonrefundable deposit refundable if BMW gives a production time later than that but I am torn whether to just order and hope for the best on this timing working out vs continuing my search with the next dealer and try to find one with actual allocation.

PS for the costco searchers I have seen everything from no discount on 2022, -$1000 flat and percentage-off discounting depending on the dealer.
Given your timing, I would say take the deal but make it known to the dealer that you will still be looking around in case he can't provide a production number within x days.

As an aside, there is no such thing as a dealer submitting for an allocation. BMW gives dealers their allocations based on a number of factors. Perhaps your dealer is referring to trading allocations with another dealer.
      10-02-2021, 11:20 AM   #284
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

In this market I wouldn't bother with any dealer that doesn't have a current allocation, especially if you're in a time crunch. Spartanburg is chugging along but they aren't exactly cranking them out fast. Things are so volatile that who knows what will happen from now until the end of the year.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #285
BoolaBoola
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
My Costco deal was $500 over invoice so none of the above. It did work out to be about 5.5% off on a loaded X45e.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 01:10 PM   #286
volvo_convert
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoolaBoola View Post
My Costco deal was $500 over invoice so none of the above. It did work out to be about 5.5% off on a loaded X45e.
Congrats, that is the best I've heard for Costco. The one I ended up approving today is 4.5% off MSRP on an X45e with a ton of (but not all) options. Here's hoping they actually get it built to meet my timeline, I will know within a couple of weeks where we stand.

The Costco-agreed pricing is meant to be a set price, consistent across participating dealers, but that was not my experience checking with a few. Maybe dealers have flex on whether they discount options as opposed to just the base model?

Anyhow, after checking in with 28 dealers, this is the best combo of pricing/timing/specs I could achieve for my timeframe albeit I do not have confirmed allocation so we'll see what they can do.

The situation changes so fast. PandaPuck123 said here they bought below MSRP at Momentum in Houston on 9/11 and vehicle was in-transit 9/24. I heard from Momentum yesterday 10/1 and was told that due to their waitlist an x45e "will not be here until next February".
Appreciate 0