BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #1
hodgson-p@hotmail.co.uk
Phil
Rep
Drives: Bmw g05

Hi, can anyone with 22" alloys on factory suspension give me a measurement on all 4 wheels from the bottom of the alloy to the bottom of the wheel arch right through the centre of the wheel I start up / comfort mode on level ground. I have fitted bbm lowering links an could not get them right at all and since putting back the stock link the rear of the car is on it arse and real harsh at the rear. I have ista+ to calibrate the ride height again but don't have any standard measurements what it asks for. Any information would be great help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

I can't give the riding height. But did you try to lock the car and give it some minutes? Then it adjusts. I had some trouble to after changing the links and not deactivate the height adjustment or let the door so it doesn't adjust. The car lowered when both links where disconnected when I did want to adjust them a little bit. After connecting them again the car was bottomed out and I couldn't adjust with the switch.. until I locked it and waited a few minutes..
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
hodgson-p@hotmail.co.uk
Phil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhe View Post
I can't give the riding height. But did you try to lock the car and give it some minutes? Then it adjusts. I had some trouble to after changing the links and not deactivate the height adjustment or let the door so it doesn't adjust. The car lowered when both links where disconnected when I did want to adjust them a little bit. After connecting them again the car was bottomed out and I couldn't adjust with the switch.. until I locked it and waited a few minutes..
Hi, yeah i I had a go with that a few times but it didn't make any difference at all the back was jacked up when they where on. No matter what I done even with broken English instructions over the phone they where a no go. So I took them off and sent them back. Since fitting the stock ones back it's gone the other way round. Had a go tonight with ista and got it to raise but not to how it was before messing it up! Ista will calibrate them just need to put in the right measurements in mm in but I don't have a clue what stock measurements are as I didn't take any notice when I done the links.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 06:23 AM   #4
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgson-p@hotmail.co.uk View Post
Hi, can anyone with 22" alloys on factory suspension give me a measurement on all 4 wheels from the bottom of the alloy to the bottom of the wheel arch right through the centre of the wheel I start up / comfort mode on level ground. I have fitted bbm lowering links an could not get them right at all and since putting back the stock link the rear of the car is on it arse and real harsh at the rear. I have ista+ to calibrate the ride height again but don't have any standard measurements what it asks for. Any information would be great help.
Try 750mm

That what I had stock.

Can you read out the values you have at the moment and put here? I would like to see what values the sensor really read in different cars
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
hodgson-p@hotmail.co.uk
Phil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose260gti View Post
Quote:
Try 750mm

That what I had stock.

Can you read out the values you have at the moment and put here? I would like to see what values the sensor really read in different cars
Is that on all 4 wheels? I put in the value of 740mm all round on ista and the front seems lifted and rear seems low. I'll measure them once I've had a shower and put them on
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Try 750mm

That what I had stock.

Is that on all 4 wheels? I put in the value of 740mm all round on ista and the front seems lifted and rear seems low. I'll measure them once I've had a shower and put them on
Yes on all 4 wheels

The problem is this if you put 750mm an all it will not change nothing. Because that is the standard. You have to make the opposite.

The standard is 750 and if you take the measure and you have 699 on the meter then you have to put 699 on ISTA it will raise till 750. Once the dimension of the meter and the read value from ISTA is the same then you have your car correctly leveled. If you want to drop 100mm later you just need to put 850mm as input value then it will drop the 100mm.

I hope you could understand.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
hodgson-p@hotmail.co.uk
Phil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Try 750mm

That what I had stock.

Yes on all 4 wheels

The problem is this if you put 750mm an all it will not change nothing. Because that is the standard. You have to make the opposite.

The standard is 750 and if you take the measure and you have 699 on the meter then you have to put 699 on ISTA it will raise till 750. Once the dimension of the meter and the read value from ISTA is the same then you have your car correctly leveled. If you want to drop 100mm later you just need to put 850mm as input value then it will drop the 100mm.

So to put it back standard on 22" the value needs to be 750 all round then? I am not wanting to mess with it any more in regards to lowering it i will just code it to sports individual from start for the drop in height. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Try 750mm

That what I had stock.

Yes on all 4 wheels

So to put it back standard on 22" the value needs to be 750 all round then? I am not wanting to mess with it any more in regards to lowering it i will just code it to sports individual from start for the drop in height. Thanks
Make sure the car is on a even and flat surface.

Once you have all around the same you can drop. But make sure the read values are also the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #9
hodgson-p@hotmail.co.uk
Phil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Try 750mm

That what I had stock.

Yes on all 4 wheels

Once you have all around the same you can drop. But make sure the read values are also the same.
How do you read the value? I have only seen the opinion to adjust it. Thanks for your help av been at a loss with this
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #10
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Try 750mm

That what I had stock.

Yes on all 4 wheels

How do you read the value? I have only seen the opinion to adjust it. Thanks for your help av been at a loss with this
Look this function
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #11
hodgson-p@hotmail.co.uk
Phil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Try 750mm

That what I had stock.

Yes on all 4 wheels

Look this function
I have done that part as in putting in the measurements but can't get the measurements like you have on yours I can input the 750 all round but can't find where it tells me what it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Try 750mm

That what I had stock.

Yes on all 4 wheels

Look this function
I have done that part as in putting in the measurements but can't get the measurements like you have on yours I can input the 750 all round but can't find where it tells me what it is.
I don't have the computer right now with me. Try look into this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #13
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

This thread is proving to be very interesting...... and confusing.

I was getting ready to do a set of drop links as well. I had no idea it would be so complicated. I'd always assumed that after the install, the system would adjust itself accordingly.

This makes me incredibly nervous.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 02:24 AM   #14
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post

I was getting ready to do a set of drop links as well. I had no idea it would be so complicated. I'd always assumed that after the install, the system would adjust itself accordingly.

No need for this you just need to readjust the links if the car is not leveled after the initial drop (left side higher then right), just measure and adjust the links if not satisfied. I found bbm's recommended drop was way too aggressive, suspension bottoms out very easily, and ride quality was destroyed. I recommend go easy at first (bbm recommend extend 6mm front and shorten 5mm rear, I'm at 4mm and 3mm).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 04:23 AM   #15
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep

Quote:

You don't need to be nervous. The links you must adjust manually until all dimensions are correct.

With software you can do it easily in 5min.

Both ways work good. I just don't see the reason to use links if we can do it with with ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 05:21 AM   #16
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyghost View Post
No need for this you just need to readjust the links if the car is not leveled after the initial drop (left side higher then right), just measure and adjust the links if not satisfied. I found bbm's recommended drop was way too aggressive, suspension bottoms out very easily, and ride quality was destroyed. I recommend go easy at first (bbm recommend extend 6mm front and shorten 5mm rear, I'm at 4mm and 3mm).
I'm actually not going to go as low as you did. I don't anticipate dropping more than 1 inch. I just want it to look like it came from the factory.... not "lowered".

So... you had no issues with the drop links at all like the OP? No problems with them getting all wonky?

I'm assuming your suspension is on the lowest setting in that picture?
If that is the case, I may start with:
3mm front extend
2mm rear shorten

Thoughts?
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:59 AM   #17
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I'm actually not going to go as low as you did. I don't anticipate dropping more than 1 inch. I just want it to look like it came from the factory.... not "lowered".

So... you had no issues with the drop links at all like the OP? No problems with them getting all wonky?

I'm assuming your suspension is on the lowest setting in that picture?
If that is the case, I may start with:
3mm front extend
2mm rear shorten

Thoughts?
I did found the 6mm front and 5mm back also to aggressive and changed it, certainly with the hamann front lip.

I didn't had the problems like the opp. just remember. Front links are the longer ones, to lower you extend them. back links are the shorter ones and need to be shortened to lower

Jack up , or disable height adjustment (keep selector switch up or down for +-11 seconds, see manual ) or open a door if you adjust them

I think I have 2.5 and 1.5 at the moment, maybe a go a little bit lower but waiting for my 22" until I adjust any further.
I have some foto's from the install when I did it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:06 AM   #18
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
I did found the 6mm front and 5mm back also to aggressive and changed it, certainly with the hamann front lip.

I didn't had the problems like the opp. just remember. Front links are the longer ones, to lower you extend them. back links are the shorter ones and need to be shortened to lower

Jack up , or disable height adjustment (keep selector switch up or down for +-11 seconds, see manual ) or open a door if you adjust them

I think I have 2.5 and 1.5 at the moment, maybe a go a little bit lower but waiting for my 22" until I adjust any further.
Are you sure you have that right? If I recall.... it was:

Shorten the front to lower
Extend the rear to lower.

Is that correct, or do I have it backwards?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #19
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Here is the M division interpretation of the ride height.
Have to be careful what you are trying to achieve. True performance and versatility (some off road capability) or just the looks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #20
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure you have that right? If I recall.... it was:

Shorten the front to lower
Extend the rear to lower.

Is that correct, or do I have it backwards?
You had it backwards, extend the front and shorten the rear to achieve drop. And yes 3mm and 2mm sounds good to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #21
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
You had it backwards, extend the front and shorten the rear to achieve drop. And yes 3mm and 2mm sounds good to me.
Got it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 06:12 AM   #22
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I confirm this. Longer ones in front ,extend to lower.
Shorter ones in the back, shorten to lower.

It was not clear in the translated german manual from bbm I received.

I started with putting the short ones in the front and my car was not lowered at all :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0